Seeing more PCP PAs in my area!

As many of u know I was a PCP for many years and recently switched to GI/Hep. In the past few months, I have been getting referrals from Not MD/DO, not NPs but PAs!

There's a bunch of Medi-Cal (Medicaid) clinics near my hospital and they usually send us all their GI stuff (some cases they can handle in house but that's another rant! 😂). They're usually staffed by NPs. Now though, I am getting more and more referrals from PAs and I look them up and they're NOT new grads but new hires at these clinics... Kinda odd since community PC clinics were NP dominated for the past 5-10 years. 

Anyone else seeing this trend? (hope it continues) 

Edited by Joelseff
Typos etc...
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joelseff said:

Anyone else seeing this trend? (hope it continues)

My own PCP PA inspired me to become a PA so I hope the trend continues!

Just spit-ballin some ideas:

Are these clinics growing? Did the NPs actually leave or just stop referring to you?

Are these PAs moving to your area coincidentally? Incentives to practice at those clinics?

Did upper management change?

26 minutes ago, SedRate said:

My own PCP PA inspired me to become a PA so I hope the trend continues!

Just spit-ballin some ideas:

Are these clinics growing? Did the NPs actually leave or just stop referring to you?

Are these PAs moving to your area coincidentally? Incentives to practice at those clinics?

Did upper management change?

They've been definitely growing in the past few years and new ones are in the works. 

These PAs are new hires... Some are new to the area. These community clinics are FQHC and do offer tuition reimbursement after the first year but again, these guys aren't new grads... One has been practicing since the 90s...

Not sure about mgmt... We do have a collaborative vs supervision policy in California as part of our OTP bill that passed in 2016... Maybe that did make an impact. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

6 hours ago, Joelseff said:

They've been definitely growing in the past few years and new ones are in the works. 

These PAs are new hires... Some are new to the area. These community clinics are FQHC and do offer tuition reimbursement after the first year but again, these guys aren't new grads... One has been practicing since the 90s...

Not sure about mgmt... We do have a collaborative vs supervision policy in California as part of our OTP bill that passed in 2016... Maybe that did make an impact. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Whatever it is, let's hope the trend continues!

For the record, I have a buddy who still has student loans from the 90s so I don't assume anything 😂

• Like 2