What do you think about this

Would you stay at a facility that restricted your ability to practice medicine by making you ask your SP for authorization on any orders you write/verbalize for your patients? What if they made you have specific protocols to follow and could only write orders within that protocol? Is this out of line? I would love your thoughts on this.

It may be fine for the new grad, but for someone with experience, or someone who's looking to grow and expand their practice ability, it sure won't be comfortable for long. Different strokes for different folks when it comes to how long it takes to become comfortable in a certain specialty, but for myself it'd become rather stifling pretty quickly.

Pffft...

Lots of PAs do this and actually think that they are practicing medicine and not simply "assisting a Physician."

Many are content with simply servicing student loans and paying bills.

There is some value in remaining the "clinical student/preceptee" for a few yrs post graduation. Because if you got a good, competent and consistent physician directing you... it (the protocols) should stick and if/when you move on... you/they will be useful.

Problem will inevitably be that when you do move on... your new employers may expect MUCH more inherent and groomed autonomy for the money you will be seeking versus the way you are used to practicing.

The frustrating part is that I have been at this hospital for a year, with no issues as far as PA's ordering anything. Then all of a sudden, I try to make a verbal order over the phone on friday and I have a nurse telling me that they can no longer take orders from PA's. Nothing from the higher ups, no e mail... nothing. I find out from an RN. On Friday night at 6 pm. Apparently there was some meeting (that the mid levels weren't even invited to) and they completely change the rules. No explanations, no notification, nothing.. Except that the ER PA's are not affected, and thats only because the ER would come to a screeching halt if they took out the midlevels... so WTF? When we ask why, they cannot give us any explanation. Just that they have made a decision that every PA must ask for every order by their SP. I love my job, but I don't think I can stay if this remains in place.

I like that term above "assisting a physician". that is exactly what it feels like. That Is not why I became a PA. Any monkey can follow a doc around and do scut work.

Well, that situation is a bit different than what you alluded to before. If this were to happen where I worked, you bet I'd be gone as soon as possible. The more constructive thing to do, however, is to get all the PA's together as a united front and stand up to having your practice ability threatened. You said the ER would stop running without the PA's- what about where you work? What if all the PA's suddenly decided to up and quit?

you need to get your SP to do EVERY SINGLE ORDER bring them the order sheet - make them write it and sign it - don't answer any questions - stand together and make the SP's do all the work - soon the SP's will be screaming at admin to change it..... this is just wrong and should never be allowed -

on this thought - we need more PA's in hospital Admin to stop this stuff from every occuring....

Archived