Advice for Pre-Pa with loads of Research experience

I just decided that I wanted to be a PA. The issue is that I have no work experience in health care. I spent most of my years planning to go to graduate school. I have accumulated 2 years worth of experience and most of that research experience has been paid. My question is whether there are PA programs that emphasize research over work experience. Thank you.

Hi ah535,

I was in the same position as you about three years ago - I had two years of paid experience as a behavioral neuroscience lab manager/research assistant when I decided I wanted to go to PA school; unfortunately, we used rodent models, so I had no "paid direct HCE" hours, and had to spend the last three years getting certified in a health field and working full time to obtain my HCE.

You may be able to get away with doing research IF your research experience involves working with a patient population in some kind of "hands-on" way (obtaining vital signs, physically providing treatments, etc.). They are mostly concerned with your day-to-day tasks while working as a research assistant. If you are working with patient populations but doing things more like taking histories, counseling, etc., then most schools don't count that as HCE. Unfortunately, I have found that while it doesn't hurt to have research in your background, most PA schools definitely DON'T emphasize it over work experience. HCE is always, always, encouraged, and I think it's a great way to validate your PA aspirations. The trick is whether you can count your research experience as health care experience. Good luck!

I just meant that it took me 2.5 years to get to the point where I was ready to apply - I got certified as an EMT-B and hyperbaric technologist, got a bunch of shadowing experience, finished up pre-reqs, and right now have about 3200 paid hours of paid direct HCE. It's a lot of work, and it definitely takes planning, but it is doable - just be patient! My advice is, depending on your interests, to get certified as a phlebotomist, EMT-B, or CNA. They are all relatively quick ways to be able to work in healthcare, but the hard part IS finding a job. You may have to work for a transport-only ambulance service first, and then work your way up the ranks. Otherwise, consider the EMT-Hyperbaric route. It definitely provides you with direct patient care, is pretty good pay, and worked for me!

I'm in the same boat. I've been working as a research associate for the last 3 years as i finished up my masters. The only work-associated patient contact has been consenting patients at our clinic for our studies. However, i have been volunteering and recently got certified as a phlebotomist. i'm hoping i can find a part time phlebo job because i can't afford to quit my job to take on a full time $13/hr phlebotomist salary. ah535, you're not alone...:smile: It seems there are some programs that really value community service like Western and USC. if you get some (if you don't already have) community service maybe you would have a shot at these two schools ??? It's kind of what i'm banking on (and prayer)..lol Good luck

One more thing to consider which sucks is the fact that pre-req classes expire, so you spend however many yrs to get certified and get a job to get 1000+ hours of experience in the healthcare industry to start having to retake prereqs as you work full time...esp when you've already been out of school for some years. #justsaying

depends on the program. Some have a 5 yr expiration others have 7 and 10 years. When you start researching schools to apply to, its stated with the pre-req. For the most part Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology are the sort of classes that expire...i've already had to retake chem I for one school and I'm planning to retake Micro in the spring as well. It's tough when you have to work full time...

• 4 weeks later...

I"m so glad someone posted this question. I too have many years of research experience with animals. I also have vet tech experience, which I have found some schools will count. I got certified as a CNA to gain more expereience with people, but have had trouble finding a job! Plus, "Id pretty much have to do it on the side...I cna't imagine working for half of my current salary! It is very tough tryign to do all this and work full time! I just keep hoping it will pay off!

Only patient experience counts in almost all of PA schools. I think this has been emphasized in many posts in this forum. I worked as a medical technologist and that still didn't count for HCE for most schools. The only way is to get real hands-on experience whether it's EMT/CNA/phleb/RT.. etc.

I"m so glad someone posted this question. I too have many years of research experience with animals. I also have vet tech experience, which I have found some schools will count. I got certified as a CNA to gain more expereience with people, but have had trouble finding a job! Plus, "Id pretty much have to do it on the side...I cna't imagine working for half of my current salary! It is very tough tryign to do all this and work full time! I just keep hoping it will pay off!

::Face palm::

• 2 months later...

When one isn't simply good enough N43QF.jpg?1 or better yet 9xPWo.jpg?1

I have a degree in psych and in my past I have done a lot of clinical research. One grant I worked on was an intervention quantitative study regarding male sex workers who were HIV and drug users. It is real shame I can not use that for HCE. (Well, at least I learned about stats and it was rewarding along the way.)

I was in a similar boat when I realized that PA is the perfect profession for me...5 years of research, most of it in biochemistry and genomics, so DEFINITELY not patient care! I agree with kagildersleeze, it just takes some planning (and time) to build up the HCE. I started out studying to become an EMT-B at night, and then got a volunteer gig (emergency dispatch in a busy city, though, so high volume for the experience) and only worked night shifts. I would work in the lab all day, go work on the medic truck, then come back to the lab still in my uniform! LOL. It sucked. Trust me. But it worked. I eventually used that experience to get hired full time - taking a SIGNIFICANT pay cut that means I can hardly support myself and my horse. I call it my "crazy plan" to get into PA school, but again, it worked. I think the most important part, then, is to be sure to sell yourself as a well rounded individual, fully prepared to blow this whole evidence based medicine into the water b/c you are very experienced with research publications, collaborations, troubleshooting, working independently, etc. Anyway, it will definitely take some planning to figure out how to still earn money while building the HCE, but you can definitely do it, then sell yourself as a better applicant overall!! GOOD LUCK! :)

Archived