Any PAs worked at a longterm care facility?

I'm starting to look at changing jobs and just interviewed with a company that staffs longterm care facilities. I'm been practicing in a sub speciality for the past 8 years and am over taking call and working full time. 

The position is part-time. 7am-1pm 2-3 days a week. You are payed on RVUs and typically see 17-18 pts a day.

Anyone done this? Did you like it? Was the pay worth it?

12 hours ago, ventana said:

17-18 in 6 hours is not safe 

these are complex Geri patients. 
lots of poly pharm 

lots of pathology 

LTC is great and about the best field to own your own business.  Hire an SP and billing company.  Mostly Medicare patients.   
bill away. 

Let me share a little different perspective. For 12 years I belonged to an old school rural health FP clinic and we had about 300 nursing home patients in 6 different facilities. yes they are complex geri patients BUT after you get to know them things smooth out and go much faster. This supposes that, for the most part, you will have a static patient population. That is some will die and new ones will get added on but, mostly, you have the same patients all the time.

We had a "problem book" for the nurses to add things to so we had a list of things to address when we walked in the door. In addition once my patients knew me they would stop me anytime I was in the building with one concern or another. Well....every time they stop me and ask me to do something/fix something that was a visit. It was not uncommon to have 30-35 visits in a day.

So there is a lot to it long term care but, generally, I found family members to be a bigger PIA than the patients ever were. There is also a lot of satisfaction in doing a good job in caring for the end of people's lives. Not many people are good at it.

• Like 2

I guess the issue is rather this is more of a nursing home or sub acute.  

all the nursing home I have worked in also have subacute and these are patients recently D/C from hospital who even a few years ago would still be hospitalized and are complex.  If just straight ltc might be easy.  

2 hours ago, ventana said:

all the nursing home I have worked in also have subacute and these are patients recently D/C from hospital who even a few years ago would still be hospitalized and are complex.  If just straight ltc might be easy.

This.  I did it for about 6 weeks to cover for an NP on maternity leave & despised it.  Very sick sub acute patients that IMHO belonged in the hospital.....