Transition from peds to adults

Hi there, 

Recent graduate who has accepted an outpatient gig in pediatrics.  My responsibilities will be well-child visits, and some sick visits.  I like pediatrics, but as this will be my first job out of school, don't want to pigeonhole myself to peds for my whole career.  Is there anyone out there who has successfully moved from peds to another specialty and care to share their experience?

TIA 

• 8 months later...
12 hours ago, Futurepa19952 said:

I think getting new jobs as a PA is more about which positions are available and when.  

And what one is willing to do to relearn stuff and what the new employer is willing to do with you having had a different background. Some are more open to it than others. Some see the different background as a benefit, others see it as a negative. 

In my experience, who I knew was a more reliable variable when it came to getting a job in a new specialty. 

-From someone who seems to want to dip their toes in another subspecialty pond every couple of years. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

As I've shared before, general outpatient family medicine led me into occupational, sleep, eating disorders, and pain medicine. All of those touch at least somewhat on each other. When I graduated, I was going to be an EM PA when I grew up. I let my ACLS and PALS lapse this year, because that's not the kind of work I was getting, and that's not the kid of work that I'm really gifted at: the only thing I've found that really needs clinicians who have formal logic/debate background and chaplaincy-type pastoral care is exactly where I'm at.

All that to say: the more logically connected your specialty changes, the more valuable they make you. You can leap all over the map as a PA, but I've found the "small" jumps have really rounded me out as a clinician.