I want it, whats the best way?

So I am applying this year for 2013 at Western and am trying to figure out the most direct and efficient way to get into the P.A. program at western and gain working experience.

I have a B.S. in Biology with concentration in Physiology and minor in chemistry.

core junior and senior class science gpa of 2.77

I just started volunteering at Cedars Sinai at a nurse mentoring program ( amazing! ), this is what has given me so much motivation toward a career in the health field. My GPA was low previously because of lack of a goal and motivation, now I know what I want.

I have been a personal trainer for about 10 years and understand how to work with people.

My uncle is a P.A. and I have shadowed him for many hours.

I am a 29 year old male.

I have some very solid LOR from a D.O. that I train, another client and a PA.

- If I do not get an interview this round what is the best way to make myself more qualified?

- What is the quickest certification or degree in order to start working in a hospital? ( already have B.S. ) Was thinking EMT but a drastic pay cut and potentially being jobless while waiting to get hired. Is there a fast way to become an ER RN if you already have a B.S. in bio?

1. I plan to retake upper division science courses that I made less than a B in.

2. Continue to volunteer but also try to get a paid position in a hospital? ( need help figuring out what would be quickest and best? )

I have found my new career path and am so excited, just trying to sort out all the info right now! I know there isn't a right or wrong path just curious about what others would reccommend or what you did?!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!!:O_O:

hello teezlr. what is your overall gpa?? because of the sheer volume of applicants that westernu receives for the PA program, they now pretty much kick out any applicant that has less than a 3.4 gpa when selecting for interviews. also, any classes over 6 years old are considered expired and you will have to repeat them. not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but these are 2 things that you need to keep in mind.

EMT would probably be your quickest route to gaining paid HCE (which some schools like loma linda require). the pay is horrible, but the experience itself is great whether you are out on the field in an ambulance or in the ER as a tech. you learn basic healthcare, how to give a report when transferring a patient, and will be exposed to alot of the healthcare lingo & procedures you will be learning about in PA school. other possibilities i would consider are MA, CNA, PTA. basically, something with direct patient contact and hands on experience.

i personally feel westernu is one of the relatively easier schools to get into because they don't require as much as other schools (paid HCE, MCAT, GRE, etc etc) but it is still very hard to break into. it sounds like you are on track by retaking some classes to boost your gpa & you have solid LORs lined up. keep on shadowing your uncle as well. see if you can schedule a sit in for a class at westernu (sit in for adult medicine as this will be your core class) & talk to an admissions counselor. you can also ask the current students for tips if you do the sit in.

and apply to as many programs as you can. at least try to get an interview somewhere so you can get your foot in the door and see what the process is like. i am very glad you have figured out what you want to do now. best of luck to you. the journey will be rough, but it will be worth it in the end.

Not to be rude to gtgcatisonfire, but science pre reqs expire with in 7 years and not 6 years according to their website (http://prospective.westernu.edu/physician-assistant/requirements). The non science pre reqs doesn't have a time frame. When I went to Western's Preview Day in April the director of the PA program was saying that he saw in the future that Western might be requiring the GRE for the PA program because they had over 1800 applicants for the 2012 cycle. For this cycle they aren't requiring it, but I would prepare for it just in case they change with in 2 years.

I would check out this link. http://www.youtube.com/user/PrePARC

It's about current 2nd year Western University student who talks about Western's process how they work from the interview to grades to caspa.

When I talked to one of the lead instructors that I shadowed at Western's PCC he said that Western cares more about volunteer hours than direct patient care hours. Also, the director said the same thing at Preview Day. They look back as far from high school. But other PA schools want direct patient care hours. So try to get a balance and apply to many schools as you can. Don't just think Western and keep your options open. I know a lot of California people don't want to leave the area, but you might have to for your dream. That is what I am doing by going to Philadelphia for PA school next year and yes I am a SoCal girl.

Like gtgcatisonfire said you are doing all the right steps. I would do his recommendations and attend one of Western's Preview Days. He's spot on. Just don't give up and go for the gold!! If you want it like you say then there will be no problems. Just remember that pain is weakness leaving the body and you can over come anything you put your mind to. Best of luck!!!!!

Very Respectfully,

Future Drexel PA Student for the Class of 2015

Thank you everyone for your advice and help! I searched around and found a local EMT class that starts tonight at UCLA! I'm very excited and am enjoying the journey thus far. Once again thank you for all of your insight and tips. They helped me make my decision to sign up for this class!

hello teezlr. what is your overall gpa?? because of the sheer volume of applicants that westernu receives for the PA program, they now pretty much kick out any applicant that has less than a 3.4 gpa when selecting for interviews. also, any classes over 6 years old are considered expired and you will have to repeat them. not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but these are 2 things that you need to keep in mind.

EMT would probably be your quickest route to gaining paid HCE (which some schools like loma linda require). the pay is horrible, but the experience itself is great whether you are out on the field in an ambulance or in the ER as a tech. you learn basic healthcare, how to give a report when transferring a patient, and will be exposed to alot of the healthcare lingo & procedures you will be learning about in PA school. other possibilities i would consider are MA, CNA, PTA. basically, something with direct patient contact and hands on experience.

i personally feel westernu is one of the relatively easier schools to get into because they don't require as much as other schools (paid HCE, MCAT, GRE, etc etc) but it is still very hard to break into. it sounds like you are on track by retaking some classes to boost your gpa & you have solid LORs lined up. keep on shadowing your uncle as well. see if you can schedule a sit in for a class at westernu (sit in for adult medicine as this will be your core class) & talk to an admissions counselor. you can also ask the current students for tips if you do the sit in.

and apply to as many programs as you can. at least try to get an interview somewhere so you can get your foot in the door and see what the process is like. i am very glad you have figured out what you want to do now. best of luck to you. the journey will be rough, but it will be worth it in the end.

So according to gtgcatisonfire Western U will basically just filter out all the student that are below 3.4 gpa.

I was wondering what if my overall is 3.1 but my science gpa is 3.6. Would that make any difference or do both gpa have to be above 3.4?

Also does this apply to all school nowadays? Thanks in advance!

They look at all 3.

cGPA

sGPA

pGPA

All 3 need to be a 3.4. Once they're done with them they go to the 3.3, then 3.2, etc.

Last year they got down to 3.1's from my understanding. The good thing is they honor grade replacements. The bad thing is they don't care about anything else to get to the interview phase but GPA. Once you get the interview then they'll look at your other stats with more emphasis on community service over other application aspects.

They look at all 3.

cGPA

sGPA

pGPA

All 3 need to be a 3.4. Once they're done with them they go to the 3.3, then 3.2, etc.

Last year they got down to 3.1's from my understanding. The good thing is they honor grade replacements. The bad thing is they don't care about anything else to get to the interview phase but GPA. Once you get the interview then they'll look at your other stats with more emphasis on community service over other application aspects.

When you say "grade replacements", do they actually count the newer grade instead of averaging out the old and new grade when calculating the gpa?

Yes, they count the newer grade instead of averaging out the old and new. My brother is currently enrolled in the PT program at Western U, and this is what they did with his application when he applied. I'm assuming the PA application process would be the same :)

but i thought caspa does all the calculating for you. does western u calculate their own gpa for applicants?

but i thought caspa does all the calculating for you. does western u calculate their own gpa for applicants?

Yes, Western recalculates your GPA if you have grade replacements, since they are considering your newer grade as opposed to averaging the old and new. That's the information I was told from speaking with my brother, the website, and Michael Haverkamp

Archived