My Sp is asking me to see patients via telemedicine out of state

Recently my SP has been asking me to see patients in follow up who are out of state. We obviously have patients come to us from out of state for treatment. I am only licensed in CA. I have told them I am not allowed to manage patients outside of CA as I'm only licensed in California. They are saying phone call follow ups are allowed but I don't believe this to be true. For now I've refused to see out of state patients. Has anyone else run into this and how did you handle it? 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, bike mike said:

Recently my SP has been asking me to see patients in follow up who are out of state. We obviously have patients come to us from out of state for treatment. I am only licensed in CA. I have told them I am not allowed to manage patients outside of CA as I'm only licensed in California. They are saying phone call follow ups are allowed but I don't believe this to be true. For now I've refused to see out of state patients. Has anyone else run into this and how did you handle it? 

Regretfully, I think you need a lawyer to answer that, not us. I know an E&M visit via telemedicine is considered to be at the patient's site for licensing purposes, so I'm with you on that, but I truly do not know about telephone follow-ups. Here's a question: could a nurse do the same thing? If so, why are they having you do it?  If it's something requiring a medical professional license, I'm thinking you should be licensed where the patient is. Again, I'm not the right resource and you should definitely get one.

Not an attorney. 
I believe you must be licensed “in the state the patient is physically in for the phone call”

I have heard this repeated many many times and I believe it to be true. 

Likely just a quick look at the BOM FAQ section for the state you are calling. 

leverage our dreaded dependent practitioner stays with the comment “I would hate to get you sued”