I am curious to know if anyone has guidance on companies that hire PAs to do non-clinical PA jobs, and what kinds of positions are out there. I currently work as a hospitalist, and boy are there days when I feel burnt to a crisp and due for a change.

I have specific interests in helping with medical device or biotech idea/product development, R&D, clinical trials, and would even be interested to know if I can serve as a medical device rep. Other interests of mine include medical writing/communication as I find that I am often working to create handouts to help my patients in my current role as a hospitalist.

If it helps, I am preferential to working either remotely, or in/near Philadelphia. I would love to hear anyone's recommendations and if anyone has personally worked in these non-clinical fields. What's your work-life balance like? Do you end up missing being a clinical PA? Did you take a pay cut?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by isoguidance

I had  two years, out of 38, where I was the "director of research." While it had many clinical aspects, I was not seeing and treating non-study patients.  A few years ago I was interested in work from home jobs and registered my interest with Indeed (I think). I had several jobs opportunities sent to me to work from home reviewing charts or treatment plans for health insurance companies. I've met PAs who were drug reps (and in the right circumstances earned much more than they did as a PA).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/26/2022 at 11:32 PM, jmj11 said:

I had  two years, out of 38, where I was the "director of research." While it had many clinical aspects, I was not seeing and treating non-study patients.  A few years ago I was interested in work from home jobs and registered my interest with Indeed (I think). I had several jobs opportunities sent to me to work from home reviewing charts or treatment plans for health insurance companies. I've met PAs who were drug reps (and in the right circumstances earned much more than they did as a PA).

Do you have guidance on how you went about registering your interest on Indeed or elsewhere? I would love to consider my options with a work from home position.