Mil-to-Civ Job Search Advice

I'm a PA in the Navy gearing up for likely retirement in about 18 months.  I'm not terribly worried about my ability to find a job afterwards, but I do want to avoid noob mistakes as much as possible.  Hoping I can get a few questions answered:

(1) Is it worth including anything on my CV from before PA school?  I was enlisted as a Hospital Corpsman for about 10 years, and have been a PA for another 10 - should I include anything about my enlisted career at all?  Things like combat experience, (lapsed) EMT certification, etc.  I mainly want to highlight that my experience in medicine (and especially emergency medicine) is not strictly limited to the past 10 years, and I'm worried about having a resume that's too thin for my age.  To be clear, I'm really highlighting relevant info (PA school, EM Fellowship, CAQ, etc.) and the "filler" is buried further down.

(2) How soon is too soon to start contacting folks?  I obviously don't want to get an offer way before I'm able to accept, but I know that the interview and selection process can take a while, and especially onboarding/credentialing is sometimes slow.  I was thinking of maybe starting 6 months prior to anticipated start date?  I'm hoping to get to work as soon as possible after leaving the Navy.

(3) I have actually worked a moonlighting gig before, with a group at a location that I would very much like to go back to.  Unfortunately, the recruiter and the VP who hired me that time around are no longer with the company.  I did leave on very good terms with an (unofficial) open-ended offer to come back anytime.  I would like to start putting feelers out further in advance for this job, rather than just cross my fingers that they post an opening at just the right time.  My plan is to reach out to the current recruiter with an introduction and a CV just to kind of plant the seed that I'm looking in case something comes up - but how early should I do this?

(4) What about compensation?  I don't even know what a fair hourly rate is, but I really don't want to get some standard new-grad offer.  I know it's region and industry-specific, I'll be looking primarily in Western Washington (probably not Seattle, though) for an ED job (ideally not UC).  Also, have wages gone up at all in the last couple of years with all of this inflation?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

1. I would list the time as a corpsman and DEFINITELY mention the EM fellowship and CAQ, as that should get you any EM job out there. 

2/3. getting the state license will be harder for you than getting the job. If you know where you want to live/work start working on the license now. Start applying for jobs at least 3 months out in areas you could see yourself living and working. 

4. residency trained with a CAQ and 10+ years of experience should land you a minimum of $80+/hr. Some places are paying over $100/hr for experienced folks. I sent you a PM

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What EMED said. I never specifically mentioned combat experience but listed my jobs to include "PA for *unit* during operation blah blah" I didn't mention my 2 deployments as a medic at all. Personal choice. In your case it's probably different because you want to work in EM and being deployed as a navy corpsman in an advanced area is very relevant. Also my enlisted time in leadership roles got a blurb somewhere because leadership is in very short supply out here in the world. There are barely good managers. Real leaders are cherished.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all.

Edited by sas5814
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HMtoPA said:

I'm a PA in the Navy gearing up for likely retirement in about 18 months.  I'm not terribly worried about my ability to find a job afterwards, but I do want to avoid noob mistakes as much as possible.  Hoping I can get a few questions answered:

(1) Is it worth including anything on my CV from before PA school?  I was enlisted as a Hospital Corpsman for about 10 years, and have been a PA for another 10 - should I include anything about my enlisted career at all?  Things like combat experience, (lapsed) EMT certification, etc.  I mainly want to highlight that my experience in medicine (and especially emergency medicine) is not strictly limited to the past 10 years, and I'm worried about having a resume that's too thin for my age.  To be clear, I'm really highlighting relevant info (PA school, EM Fellowship, CAQ, etc.) and the "filler" is buried further down.

if you are fellowship trained and CAQ I would not stress about adding much, that is impressive. Enlisted info - yes but only as it applies - if you were NCO in charge or flight leader yes.

(2) How soon is too soon to start contacting folks?  I obviously don't want to get an offer way before I'm able to accept, but I know that the interview and selection process can take a while, and especially onboarding/credentialing is sometimes slow.  I was thinking of maybe starting 6 months prior to anticipated start date?  I'm hoping to get to work as soon as possible after leaving the Navy.

it is 3 months MINIMUM to get credentialed. START NOW and let them know when you are available.  There is such a HUGE shortage right now you might negotiate well

(3) I have actually worked a moonlighting gig before, with a group at a location that I would very much like to go back to.  Unfortunately, the recruiter and the VP who hired me that time around are no longer with the company.  I did leave on very good terms with an (unofficial) open-ended offer to come back anytime.  I would like to start putting feelers out further in advance for this job, rather than just cross my fingers that they post an opening at just the right time.  My plan is to reach out to the current recruiter with an introduction and a CV just to kind of plant the seed that I'm looking in case something comes up - but how early should I do this?

I would call HR at this facility. Explain that you are looking to start back up at least per diem (if you are) and dip you toe back in the water.  They will look at it as a working interview, and they can pull up your prior work.  

(4) What about compensation?  I don't even know what a fair hourly rate is, but I really don't want to get some standard new-grad offer.  I know it's region and industry-specific, I'll be looking primarily in Western Washington (probably not Seattle, though) for an ED job (ideally not UC).  Also, have wages gone up at all in the last couple of years with all of this inflation?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Get the AAPA salary data 

Be aware most the data point for hospitals are artificially suppressed for two reasons

1) they only ask the hospitals for their data and hosptials are becoming famous for pushing all the responsiblitiies of a Doc onto a PA for pennies on the dollar.  They do not ask or query private practice people and I suspect they also eliminate outlayers to keep the cost of PA low.

2) the bell curve for PA's peaks younger and less experienced then you. They can not and should not compare you to a newer PA - they need to compare you to a Doc.  They hate doing this, cause it costs them more $$

Be prepared for the jaded, manipulative HR professionals, managers and even doc's and department heads who are just in it for themselves.    It is an ugly world right now where the doc's are quitting, the nursing unions are winnning concessions, and PA are shuffled to the side.   You MUST adovcate  for yourself

Pay - in a normal COLA are

your experience for reasonable ER schedule should be 150-200k 

WITH

PTO (if they contract has such-if not the hourly needs to go up to make it up) but this is time off
                      5 weeks minimum
                       10+ sick days
                       10 Holidays (yes you should have paid holidays)

CME $3000/year one week per year

All licenses and state fee's and DEA paid by employer

Basically draw a line between a new grad pay and bennies and an attending - select 1/2 way between and that is where you should be at.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2