This is why we need unions and a voice

work in a small hospital system in the midwest

they sent out an all list email stating that everyone would be getting a 5% raise nov 1

I went to confirm that this applied to me

NOPE

providers expemt

They say the docs have not had a raise in a decade as they are RVU (bullshit lie as the RVI conversion factor increased and they are paid based on that)

They say no PA have gotten raises in 3 years, also bullshit, I talked to favorable PA and they are getting yearly raises

But the average PA is getting the shaft at this organization - they are actually taking pay cuts while everyone else in the organization gets raises. They treat us like docs but only pay us 25-50% of the doc pay..... they have us siloed and separated.  Everyone on salary and working 5-20% more hours then the salary

I hate unions but this type of taking advantage is pissing me off and I am tempted to invite a union in and blow it all up.....

BTW in one day I got in touch with the local VA, they are $140k per year on hourly and very interested(with amazing benefits).  I am highly experienced PA that patients love and functions as a doc 100% so in the primary care realm.  I have my own panel rapidly growing(already above goal for PA and approaching goal for MD/DO   and > decade of experience after school. Family of local docs are hunting me down, CMO and CFO can't say enough good about me, but they are just cheap, short sighted POS.  I am not willing to lay down and be happy with my crappy salary while everyone else gets raises...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Maybe think about why you hate unions so much, and whether maybe that’s partly the result of being siloed and separated, too. 

I’m in a union, and if it didn’t directly clash with my clinic’s schedule at a time when we are trying to establish a whole new clinical area, I would be in the negotiating team when they go to bargain for our new contract at the end of the year. 

• Like 2

If the VA job would be better for you go there. Unions don't solve everything, I've seen a lot of unions protect sub par employees. 

I too work in a small rural hospital in the Midwest. My raise this year is not on par with inflation but it's fair. They average about 5% increase every year. They also cover my monthly premiums and fill my HSA to cover my deductible. There are good places out there. I drive four hours one way twice a month for two 48 hr shifts. Could I work closer to home? Of course, but I'd be underpaid and under appreciated. I love my current job.

Also @Boarder I understand your frustrated but swearing in your post gets you nowhere 

2 minutes ago, kettle said:

Could I work closer to home? Of course, but I'd be underpaid and under appreciated. I love my current job.

I am in a similar situation. I could walk to work and get treated poorly or drive a few hours and be appreciated. I will always take the drive. 

I get driven to the airport by my wife, fly, then drive a rental car (paid for by company), 2-3x/month to be paid well and treated well both by my employer and the hospitals we staff.  I might be able to find a job closer to home where I'd only be driving 50-70 minutes 1 way, but it would be for a CMG for whom I'd be a number and who'd pay me about 2/3 - 3/4 of what I'm making.  Even the boss at home says this is a better plan.

12 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I drive 1.5 hours one way 4 times a month. Well worth it to be treated right

Indeed. This is my commute to my primary job for 4 24s a month. I also drive 2 hrs one way twice a month for 3 10 hr day shifts in a row somewhere else and 3 hrs one way once a month for 3 12 hr day shifts at facility #3.

13 shifts/3 facilities/192 hrs. None within 60 miles of home. So worth it. 

• Like 1