NP Preceptors......

I want to preface this with saying milage may vary. I'm posting here to just see if I'm the only one frustrated with this issue. I am currently a clinical year student and have been having trouble wrapping my mind around why we are able to be precepted by NP's. I keep hearing that our training is far better and our knowledge base is far greater and that has become apparent to me during these rotations (I have not had one rotation with a PA, just NP's and MD/DO). I have watched "seasoned" NP's struggle through topics that a second quarter PA student would fly through like PID treatment for instance I had to correct my preceptor the other day before she prescribed 1000mg of IM Rocephin for a 130lb patient because when she looked on epocrates for the dosing she misread Kg for Lbs. Mind you this is an NP who works in the field of WH, this is a common issue we have seen and she has to look at dose for something common everyday (which I get on occasion this is necessary for a dose not commonly used or maybe just a slip in memory, but it shows me that she is uncomfortable with her knowledge base) but I could've given her the dose right there in the exam room with the patient. Now this is just one example of a recent encounter, there are many more like asking me to preliminarily read a CT cause they were never trained to do so. I'm just saying how can we as a profession differentiate from NP's if they are allowed to precept us? If we want to say to the pubic we are different than NP's why is this allowed per ARC-PA? Not to mention when employers see that I have been precepted by mostly NP's that sets the precedent that they are equal even superior in a sense. Even they are aware of the difference in education/experience. Now I will say this NP's generally have really good patient education skills which I am grateful to learn from but they are lacking significantly in medical knowledge. Just the groanings of a second year PA student here but would love to hear what you guys have to say about the subject. 

I think your concern is valid, but as a student I suggest not occupying your time about these types of issues until you finish. Your roll right now is to study for exams/PANCE and to absorb as much experience as possible from ALL providers. Everyone has knowledge to give whether it be medical knowledge or patient interaction skills. Be a sponge and take it in indiscriminately. Now you are correct that MMV with NP preceptors. When I was in school, I only had a few and they were rock stars. I did have one that I wasn't the fondest of but I did learn from that provider. Focus on the goal ahead of you. When you become a PA-C, bring this topic back up in the PA General Discussion forums 🙂.

• Like 1

Ya your right, I've had some good ones and honestly I have too much time on my hands during this rotation and these type of thoughts come up often. Anyways this is concerning not just for my education but the future of our careers, as new grads we are getting beat out by NP new grads willing to take lower salaries and can work more independently so much cheaper for the hospital/clinics and people think we are equivalent so....I think its defiantly something to worry about....

as a student your job is jut to learn

1000mg (1 gram) is sort of a go to dose for Rocephin, and if you do not under stand the pharm behind the dose administration you can be lulled into making bad choices.  Not sure if this is what happened but maybe?  

As for your future - every preceptor has tons to offer you to learn, you just have to figure out what is valuable. 

• Like 1

Imagine, if you can, a situation where NP students would be allowed to be precepted by PAs. I can't. I taught in an NP program for a few years (side hustle) and I was surprised the program approved me as a guest lecturer, but precepting is a theoretical issue for them because they promote the narrative that they are better trained than us. But I agree, focus on your studies and fight the good fight once you are a PA.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jmj11 said:

Imagine, if you can, a situation where NP students would be allowed to be precepted by PAs. I can't. I taught in an NP program for a few years (side hustle) and I was surprised the program approved me as a guest lecturer, but precepting is a theoretical issue for them because they promote the narrative that they are better trained than us. But I agree, focus on your studies and fight the good fight once you are a PA.

I did several years ago while with a gov’t entity.  Actually twice now that I think about it.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1