So this is my day today...

• Administrator

Eh, masking at this point is pretty pointless, because vaccines work so well.  Masks should have gone away immediately upon general population vaccine availability, really, and the fact that they didn't speaks to how stupid and non-evidence-based our public health leadership really is. Still, YOU aren't the one making the rules.

6 hours ago, rev ronin said:

Eh, masking at this point is pretty pointless, because vaccines work so well.  Masks should have gone away immediately upon general population vaccine availability, really, and the fact that they didn't speaks to how stupid and non-evidence-based our public health leadership really is. Still, YOU aren't the one making the rules.

Efficacious or not, child abuse? Really? Can we please stop acting like masks are so intolerable? I don’t like the way under wear makes my balls stick to my leg, and seeing my fruit basket doesn’t physically harm anyone, but you don’t see me me calling out abuse.

• Haha 2

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Efficacious or not, child abuse? Really? Can we please stop acting like masks are so intolerable? I don’t like the way under wear makes my balls stick to my leg, and seeing my fruit basket doesn’t physically harm anyone, but you don’t see me me calling out abuse.

Child abuse is a bit hyperbolic, but masks don't clearly benefit children more than they harm them.  That is, elementary school aged children are at effectively background M&M levels of risk from Covid-19, so masks were never to protect their health, only to slow transmission and protect others.  Masks have nonzero impact, again in the young population likely to be wearing the mask depicted, on language and social skills acquisition.  The true impact is yet to be known, but the onus is on the current administration for being more Procrustean than necessary when the WHO never recommended masking small children.  Let me put it this way: I could never ethically order the masking of a child under the age of 10, based on what we know of the benefits and harms as best we understand them today.  (As you may remember, my family presumably got Covid-19 from asymptomatic transmission at a youth group holiday party where my then-15 year old daughter and her friends unmasked to eat. That's an N of 1, but it's the only thing that fits, and it makes me butthurt that all my own reasonably careful masking at work was for naught)

1 hour ago, rev ronin said:

Child abuse is a bit hyperbolic, but masks don't clearly benefit children more than they harm them.  That is, elementary school aged children are at effectively background M&M levels of risk from Covid-19, so masks were never to protect their health, only to slow transmission and protect others.  Masks have nonzero impact, again in the young population likely to be wearing the mask depicted, on language and social skills acquisition.  The true impact is yet to be known, but the onus is on the current administration for being more Procrustean than necessary when the WHO never recommended masking small children.  Let me put it this way: I could never ethically order the masking of a child under the age of 10, based on what we know of the benefits and harms as best we understand them today.  (As you may remember, my family presumably got Covid-19 from asymptomatic transmission at a youth group holiday party where my then-15 year old daughter and her friends unmasked to eat. That's an N of 1, but it's the only thing that fits, and it makes me butthurt that all my own reasonably careful masking at work was for naught)

But that is not the logical or polite argument being written out on these masks is it? Regardless of whether I agree with your statement: These parents came to an ED, seeking medical help from a professional, then basically told them they were a child abuser who either is a complicit conspirator or an idiot who bought into propaganda rather than a knowledge expert.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

But that is not the logical or polite argument being written out on these masks is it? Regardless of whether I agree with your statement: These parents came to an ED, seeking medical help from a professional, then basically told them they were a child abuser who either is a complicit conspirator or an idiot who bought into propaganda rather than a knowledge expert.

Yeah, it sucks. They're lashing out at the wrong people in unproductive ways.

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, EMEDPA said:

Yup. And the parent and the patient were unvaccinated...

Yeah, that's just nuts.  I have no use for masks because vaccination is SO MUCH better. But public health inertia is strong: people want simple solutions for everyone, which is why you have people rushing to vaccinate their toddlers right now.  Sigh.

I wish we would focus $'s and tax incentives for improving filtration and disinfection in HVAC systems, especially in large buildings: office buildings, schools, healthcare facilities, sports arenas, etc.  Seems to me that that would pay big dividends across all current and future diseases that are transmitted by aerosol and droplet transmission.

• Upvote 1