Making Myself Useful While Unemployed?

I am looking for some things to do while I'm looking for a job to keep myself in the game. I've looked into donating hours to charity clinics, but they all require long term commitments which I might have to break when I get a job. I'm also working on going out of the country for a medical mission soon. But in the mean time... I have nothing to do! My job search takes like an hour in the morning and then... I've been studying a bit, I've mastered my finances, I've learned to cook a ton of new things, I've traveled. I'm feeling pretty disjointed from medicine and like I don't know it anymore.

Any suggestions for how to stay involved with medicine while I'm unemployed? Or worthwhile things to do? I'm getting pretty tired of feeling like I am just finding things to feel the time. I need a project!

I'm also feeling a little down being a new grad. Jobs are rare in my area and every single ad I've seen in my area asks for years of experience. No one wants to train new grads, no one calls me back. I swear I'm awesome, if only they would interview me! I did just get an offer for a dream job and they do want to train me, but it's not in a place I can move to because of my significant other :(

To reference an oft-quoted idea on this forum, there are three parameters for every PA job:

1. Specialty

2. Location

3. Salary

In general (your mileage may vary, of course) new grads can only choose two of the three at the max. If you're finding that you can't get even one of the above, you may very well have to change your environment. If you're near a major metropolitan area, there should be SOMETHING. If you're more rural....you may have to make a tough choice. The longer out of school you get without using your education, the harder it gets to use that training, and the more a potential employer may frown on your CV/resume.

Don't know what else to suggest. You need to work, bottom line. I realize this may be easier said than done

Tried asking your program? The clinical sites you rotated at to see if they know of others looking to hire? Your state PA organization?

To reference an oft-quoted idea on this forum, there are three parameters for every PA job:

1. Specialty

2. Location

3. Salary

In general (your mileage may vary, of course) new grads can only choose two of the three at the max. If you're finding that you can't get even one of the above, you may very well have to change your environment. If you're near a major metropolitan area, there should be SOMETHING. If you're more rural....you may have to make a tough choice. The longer out of school you get without using your education, the harder it gets to use that training, and the more a potential employer may frown on your CV/resume.

Don't know what else to suggest. You need to work, bottom line. I realize this may be easier said than done

Tried asking your program? The clinical sites you rotated at to see if they know of others looking to hire? Your state PA organization?

Thank you for the advice, but I was really just asking for things to do while unemployed. I've got the job search thing going full force.

I am in a big city, but not a very PA friendly one. There are only about 2 jobs posted a week here, and they usually are either nursing homes, pain managment, or laser hair removal and even those ask for 5 years of experience minimum lol. Seriously, laser hair removal & 5 years experience... Anyway. Yes, I've networked a lot with my school, I'm going to PA meetings, I'm going to CME dinners, corresponded with president of state's PA society, etc. I'm sure I'll find something eventually, maybe I'll end up being your next bikini waxer :heheh:

• Administrator
About 3,000 miles. It would be a pretty tough commute... :;;D:

At least three of the women in my class (of 40) spent the vast majority of their time away from their husbands for the entire 27 month program. Many, many more couples endured separations of weeks to months during clinical rotations. There's a job out there if you want it. People in my class already have been put through the wringer on our rotations, so you'd not be alone if you sucked it up and took the job you CAN get, coming home for one weekend every 3-4 weeks.

Remember, getting a job is not just about getting money--it's also about getting experience which will in turn lead to more money later. Failure to take that job, 3,000 miles away though it is, will quite possibly seriously impair your lifelong learning potential. It's entirely possible that that's not your priority... but be sure you understand all the consequences of NOT working before you opt for unemployment.

Thank you for the advice, but I was really just asking for things to do while unemployed. I've got the job search thing going full force.

I am in a big city, but not a very PA friendly one. There are only about 2 jobs posted a week here, and they usually are either nursing homes, pain managment, or laser hair removal and even those ask for 5 years of experience minimum lol. Seriously, laser hair removal & 5 years experience... Anyway. Yes, I've networked a lot with my school, I'm going to PA meetings, I'm going to CME dinners, corresponded with president of state's PA society, etc. I'm sure I'll find something eventually, maybe I'll end up being your next bikini waxer :heheh:

That's okay, I'm not that big a fan of banana hammocks.

Best of luck

At least three of the women in my class (of 40) spent the vast majority of their time away from their husbands for the entire 27 month program. Many, many more couples endured separations of weeks to months during clinical rotations. There's a job out there if you want it. People in my class already have been put through the wringer on our rotations, so you'd not be alone if you sucked it up and took the job you CAN get, coming home for one weekend every 3-4 weeks.

Remember, getting a job is not just about getting money--it's also about getting experience which will in turn lead to more money later. Failure to take that job, 3,000 miles away though it is, will quite possibly seriously impair your lifelong learning potential. It's entirely possible that that's not your priority... but be sure you understand all the consequences of NOT working before you opt for unemployment.

You must be single. :;;D:

I really appreciate all the job search tips, but I was really trying to ask more about things to do on a day to day basis, not for job search advice!

I just signed up for an emergency responders symposium and a free clinic weekend, looking forward to those. Also hoping that medical mission thing pans out, I would really love to do that.

I really appreciate all the job search tips, but I was really trying to ask more about things to do on a day to day basis, not for job search advice!

I just signed up for an emergency responders symposium and a free clinic weekend, looking forward to those. Also hoping that medical mission thing pans out, I would really love to do that.

It sounds like you're ignoring the reality of the situation: the best thing to do to build your resume is get a job. That may mean adjusting your expectations of what you will be doing and/or where you will be doing it. Going to a million symposiums and workshops is great but ultimately employers will be looking for prior work experience.

^^^Yep^^^

Personally, I've never been to a "Symposium," workshop and/or CME conference that didn't have some non-providers in attendance. So simply attending a conference doesn't really carry much weight.

I don't recommend it, but hell... you could write down any "Symposium," workshop and/or CME conference you wanted on your resume and it really isn't likely anyone would check. So it really doesn't mean much... and even if they did check... what does that mean...?? What, that not only did you sit in a class room for a yr in your recently completed PA program... but also sat in a conference hall and listened to a few more random speakers for a few more days...??? Not really impressive in the grand scheme of things.

Regardless of the "Symposiums" and workshops and CME conferences you attend... YOU will still be a "New Grad" who has never demonstrated your ability to practice medicine outside of a academic setting until you perform on a job. So GET a JOB cause this is whats gonna matter.

With that said...

To answer your question...

While expensive for someone "yet to be employed," taking actual classes that teach marketable-billable procedures may help. Try the National Procedures Institute.

FancyPAntsy I am curious about what city/region you're in if you're comfortable disclosing either...I am really hoping to be able to move to San Francisco after graduation but I know it is a tough job market and every time I've looked around online I see a bunch of those laser hair removal places! :=Z:

Have you looked outside of your city? I know it would suck to drive an hour and a half each way but if you did it for a year you'd get some experience. Or maybe you could get a position within a 3 hour radius of home and work 3 long shifts in a row getting an inexpensive apartment or hotel close to the hospital? Then go back to your SO for 4 days. I've also heard (once) of a job structured with 7 days on/7 off.

locums with agencies that place PAs in government sites, that way you do not need to get an extra state license. The other option is a residency......you move for a year. You do have to do something in the field to get started; as everyone has said, the longer you are unemployed, the more it will appear that something is wrong with you. These days, occasional separations because of jobs are the norm rather than the exception.

Archived