West Coast University 2022-2023

For those accepted, did you follow Savanna Perry's tips to circle every answer back to PA, or did you pretty much just "be yourself" and answer the question straightforwardly? I got straight denied instead of even waitlisted at another interview where I followed her tips and more or less did it well, so I'm worried that it's better to "be yourself" and not try to show them explicitly how you would succeed as a student. I guess we'll see! I feel that different schools are looking for different self-presentation styles from their applicants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFuturePAOkay said:

Hey y'all, my interview took 83 minutes. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm scared I talked their ears off! Not to give away what's in the interview, but I was totally thrown off by being pretty much asked the same question four times straight... Wish me luck!

Woah! I was nervous for 30 minutes. What do you mean asked the same question? Did they ask a question and reword it to see if your answer changed?

17 hours ago, AFuturePAOkay said:

For those accepted, did you follow Savanna Perry's tips to circle every answer back to PA, or did you pretty much just "be yourself" and answer the question straightforwardly? I got straight denied instead of even waitlisted at another interview where I followed her tips and more or less did it well, so I'm worried that it's better to "be yourself" and not try to show them explicitly how you would succeed as a student. I guess we'll see! I feel that different schools are looking for different self-presentation styles from their applicants.

always be yourself because most of the time they already know your stats. The point of an interview is always to see if you can get along with others because medicine is collective career. Of course you should always make points about the PA carreer but also remember life its not always about being a PA. also interviews is always a good place to mentions where you had issues and emphasis " oh how you have or you are taking care of that problem "  anyways good luck and don't never give up all you need is one acceptance..

Edited by upcomingpa12

On 8/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, PrePa0710 said:

Woah! I was nervous for 30 minutes. What do you mean asked the same question? Did they ask a question and reword it to see if your answer changed?

Thanks for answering. I don't want to give anything away to applicants reading this, but four of the scripted questions were basically versions of the exact same thing, and those alone took probably 25 minutes of me trying to elaborate more on my experiences I'd already shared. So when someone here, accepted I think, said their interview was 20 minutes that scares the crap out of me. They were asking questions and answering mine at the end for over 20 minutes, not counting my 63 minutes of answers, sooooo... 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:49 PM, upcomingpa12 said:

always be yourself because most of the time they already know your stats. The point of an interview is always to see if you can get along with others because medicine is collective career. Of course you should always make points about the PA carreer but also remember life its not always about being a PA. also interviews is always a good place to mentions where you had issues and emphasis " oh how you have or you are taking care of that problem "  anyways good luck and don't never give up all you need is one acceptance..

Thank you! That does make sense. Did you get accepted already? Be yourself is something we hear from childhood and is logical, but the competing philosophy for interviews is that you should be trying to impress them with every answer and go out of way to show where you shine, even risking being slightly inorganic, since in many cases the interviewers aren't terribly familiar with your application if not completely blind to it. I want to be a better interviewer after all this and I'm not sure what's working and not working. 

Hello, I just received an invite! For those who have already interviewed. Without giving too much information away, can someone explain how the interview process went? 

The email states the interview will include intro to program and staff, q&a, and 8 mini interviews. Was the interview before or after the intro and q&a?

lastly, when being asked an interview question, did they allow a few minutes before answering or did they require a response immediately. 

I would appreciate any feed back! Super anxious and trying to prepare. Thank youuu

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 4:09 PM, Aspire2BPA said:

Hello, I just received an invite! For those who have already interviewed. Without giving too much information away, can someone explain how the interview process went? 

The email states the interview will include intro to program and staff, q&a, and 8 mini interviews. Was the interview before or after the intro and q&a?

lastly, when being asked an interview question, did they allow a few minutes before answering or did they require a response immediately. 

I would appreciate any feed back! Super anxious and trying to prepare. Thank youuu

Hi! Which school are you talking about? I don't think that's WCU.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:07 PM, AFuturePAOkay said:

Hi! Which school are you talking about? I don't think that's WCU.

Hi! Yes I received an email from WCU. I’m a little confused because the email states there will be 8 mini interviews, but it seems as though everyone has had a different experience.

May I ask, did they allow you time to respond or did they require a response immediately following the questions? 

Hoping to get some feedback. Thank you

2 hours ago, Aspire2BPA said:

Hi! Yes I received an email from WCU. I’m a little confused because the email states there will be 8 mini interviews, but it seems as though everyone has had a different experience.

May I ask, did they allow you time to respond or did they require a response immediately following the questions? 

Hoping to get some feedback. Thank you

Hi! Are you interviewing for the Texas program or the LA program? This forum is for the Texas program. There is a different one for the LA program.

1 minute ago, gleymarie said:

Hi everyone! I have an interview coming up this Friday, Sept. 9th at WCU texas campus. I was wondering if anyone knows what their interview format is? Is it more setup as a q&a or MMI format? Also any tips or tricks on how to prepare would be greatly appreciated!

Is yours virtual? Sounds like there have been some different experiences according to this forum. In my experience, it was a mix of traditional and behavioral questions from two faculty interviewers. Surprisingly repetitive (in my point of view), but otherwise pretty normal questions. Nothing completely odd, and I unfortunately can't give any hints on the slightly odd questions without giving them away. The weirdest part, as seen in this forum, is the diverse lengths of time the interview took for different people. Normally, in a campus interview day, everyone's getting identical amounts of time. So perhaps be prepared to talk for over an hour as I had (got?) to.

5 minutes ago, AFuturePAOkay said:

Is yours virtual? Sounds like there have been some different experiences according to this forum. In my experience, it was a mix of traditional and behavioral questions from two faculty interviewers. Surprisingly repetitive (in my point of view), but otherwise pretty normal questions. Nothing completely odd, and I unfortunately can't give any hints on the slightly odd questions without giving them away. The weirdest part, as seen in this forum, is the diverse lengths of time the interview took for different people. Normally, in a campus interview day, everyone's getting identical amounts of time. So perhaps be prepared to talk for over an hour as I had (got?) to.

Yes it is on zoom. I have also seen that it has varied according to this forum. I have been practicing more of the common or traditional questions and I feel like I'm overthinking at this point. The interview confirmation I received at least said 30-45min so I'm hoping it is around there. I feel as if there's a lot of diversity for each interview occurrence after reading these posts so not sure what to expect. Did you seem overwhelmed by the number of questions they asked or was it a pretty fair amount? 

4 minutes ago, gleymarie said:

Yes it is on zoom. I have also seen that it has varied according to this forum. I have been practicing more of the common or traditional questions and I feel like I'm overthinking at this point. The interview confirmation I received at least said 30-45min so I'm hoping it is around there. I feel as if there's a lot of diversity for each interview occurrence after reading these posts so not sure what to expect. Did you seem overwhelmed by the number of questions they asked or was it a pretty fair amount? 

I had an atypical number of questions it seems, so yes, I was sweating by the end. It wasn't so much the number of questions but that they seemed repetitive; I was probably already addressing follow up questions in my answers, and they then asked those follow up questions anyway and I had to repeat myself or think of new details. People are getting in with short answers, so I would suggest not going on for long. But I haven't gotten an answer yet, so maybe my long answers were fine. I hope that's somewhat helpful. Not overthinking is important. I think it's also important to remember that they are probably rating us on our body language and how we come off as personable, which totally slipped my mind to focus on during a zoom call and after things kept dragging on, so it's entirely possible you can impress them more by smiling during a 30 second answer than by giving a well-thought out, complete, nervous 60 second answer. I'm pretty sure my body language seemed more and more nervous or confused as I continued to get versions of the same questions.

2 minutes ago, AFuturePAOkay said:

I had an atypical number of questions it seems, so yes, I was sweating by the end. It wasn't so much the number of questions but that they seemed repetitive; I was probably already addressing follow up questions in my answers, and they then asked those follow up questions anyway and I had to repeat myself or think of new details. People are getting in with short answers, so I would suggest not going on for long. But I haven't gotten an answer yet, so maybe my long answers were fine. I hope that's somewhat helpful. Not overthinking is important. I think it's also important to remember that they are probably rating us on our body language and how we come off as personable, which totally slipped my mind to focus on during a zoom call and after things kept dragging on, so it's entirely possible you can impress them more by smiling during a 30 second answer than by giving a well-thought out, complete, nervous 60 second answer. I'm pretty sure my body language seemed more and more nervous or confused as I continued to get versions of the same questions.

Yeah that makes sense. Honestly you have been SUCH a big help and I appreciate you sharing some of your experience! Also an important factor to consider is body language thats a good point. I'm sure you did great though for your interview. I hope you hear back soon and I wish you the best of luck!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gleymarie said:

Yeah that makes sense. Honestly you have been SUCH a big help and I appreciate you sharing some of your experience! Also an important factor to consider is body language that's a good point. I'm sure you did great though for your interview. I hope you hear back soon and I wish you the best of luck!!

You'll do great! You're doing the prep work by even being here, so just go from there. Also, they want to hear like at any school that you have read their website in depth and visited campus if possible. That's pretty easy to do and doesn't make a candidate a good PA student, but it was the only thing during my interview they congratulated me on: having known some facts about the program and WCU as a whole.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrePa0710 said:

Hi everyone. I have my interview tomorrow and just received the email telling me who will be interviewing me. I guess im realizing that this is really happening and have started getting really nervous. Anyone that has interview have any tips? Thanks!

Hi! I would not let it overwhelm you, which sounds easier said than done but it's doable. You earned it. You're there because you're good enough of a student that they would accept you. It's just looking for who is a good match for the program. I would bring up things in your character or career goals that mention their mission and values indirectly, instead of sounding like brown-nosing. If you are from the area, mention that. The other thing that helped me was looking up the professors to learn their faces and backgrounds so they would seem more like people and not as scary. 

1 minute ago, AFuturePAOkay said:

Hi! I would not let it overwhelm you, which sounds easier said than done but it's doable. You earned it. You're there because you're good enough of a student that they would accept you. It's just looking for who is a good match for the program. I would bring up things in your character or career goals that mention their mission and values indirectly, instead of sounding like brown-nosing. If you are from the area, mention that. The other thing that helped me was looking up the professors to learn their faces and backgrounds so they would seem more like people and not as scary. 

Thank you! Yes ive already started to look them up. Have you heard back already?

44 minutes ago, PrePa0710 said:

Thank you! Yes ive already started to look them up. Have you heard back already?

No, I was really hoping to by now. They did way 4 to 6 weeks so it's not like they're behind, but it would have put some fire under my feet to get an answer before my interview tomorrow elsewhere, not to mention deciding whether to pay the deposit at another program.