Trying to figure out my education options...

Hello everyone! My name is Brian and Im new to the forum. Been on here for about a month now searching around, but this is my first post. Im currently an LVN at the moment and was debating on either getting my RN or PA. I work at a nursing home and a couple PA's come into the facility to see their patients and its very intriguing to me to see what they do. IMO it actually seems more exciting than being an RN although I just wanted to be an RN to become a CRNA. Im leaning towards PA more just because the work schedule seems more practical. So at the moment I am finishing up my pre reqs this year. I got chem left and then a math class. I was planning on going to some of the comm. colleges in the area such as Riverside CC, SJVCC, Stanford, and even Red Rocks CC in Colorado since my sister lives out there (BTW i dont have a Bachelors degree)

I have some of the following questions:

1) What do you guys think about a PA program at the Comm college level?

2) Is the pay the same compared to someone with a Masters?

3) Do PA's from a comm college obtain a certificate while PA's with a masters degree obtain a license?

4) I've heard about schools that have the dual degree PA program (BS/MS)...which schools offer this program?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Very much appreciated.

- Brian Tran

Whatever you do go for the masters. The future requirement for PA will be masters level, no doubt about it. I started as a cna, then RN, then PA. Cna is good but I would go for the paramedic or emt as your stepping stone to PA. There are PA anesth. Those PAs you see in the nursing home, ask if they shadow...if not your state PA assoc should have a list of PAs who do shadow. Don't forget about LORs, and you can use your shadowing experience in your PS. A good approach would be to ask them if they shadowed someone b/f they entered PA school, most likely they will say yes, ask them if they would be willing to allow you to shadow and tell them why. Ask if they would be willing to write out a LOR. I started in a LTCF too.

i agree with marilynpac i read somewhere that in the future they are going to require higher level degrees and more schooling from nurses and physician assistants to work certain positions, there are associate degree and bachelor degree programs like you had mentioned, im currently getting classes out the way for the bachelors physician assistant program at penn college of technology but eventually ill pursue my masters and etc just for a security blanket, not mention when i browse thru alot of jobs for pa's on job networks and etc a lot og them want a pa with their master's degree and/or experience, so your best bet would be to keep going until your masters..good luck youll be fine at least you have a plan some people dont even have that 2 begin with ;-0

PA_Sesay, hello. You said you are "currently getting classes out the way for the bachelors physician assistant program at penn college of technology but eventually ill pursue my masters." So is it possible to earn bachelors in PA first THEN get masters for PA in the future??

I too don't have a bachelor degree.. just a CNA license.. which I've never made a use of. heh.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

The ARC-PA is requiring that all programs transition to awarding an MS degree by 2021. Programs that do not will need to justify why they cannot offer the degree. The SJVC program, like RCC, RRCC, AACC, CC/MX, and Stanford set up the academic affliations, for addtional degrees, with St. Francis and/or Nova SE over the last 5 years. So when the time comes, all student will have to complete the options. Now it is just students who want to get the degree(s). Most of our students wait till after they graduate and do the Nebraska DLO program. Unfortunately, the addtional degrees do add to the overall cost. From 3K-10K depending upon the degree.

In California, getting a license is based on graduation from an accredited program and passage of the PANCE. Since we have had multiple entry-level programs since 1974 the issues of degree adding to marketability and increased salary is not an issue for our students at SJVC. We also aren't trying to train alot of PAs for inhouse practice. Grads make between 88K-120K depending upon practice specialty. The issue of competition with NPs for jobs is not an issue. Our students are usually solicited for jobs by the middle of their clinical year. But we serve a market that is not saturated and train PAs for rural practice. After 7 years the medical community has embraced the program and two of the larger rural healthcare networks hire 3-4 grads per class.

The SJVC class of 2010 had a 95% first time pass rate on the PANCE. Out of all 90+ grads, there are only three that have not passed the PANCE. We tend to look for applicants that will practice in the Central Valley, especially in Primary Care. We still do it old school. HCE is a really big thing to us. On average 40% of the class usually has an AS or minimum credits. 55% or so come in with the BS, the rest are graduate degrees. The current Jr. Class is the first class accepted that actually looks like national demographics.

I know there are those who disagree with program's like ours but it is what it is...lol. I'm really not trying to get in a flame war with anyone. I just want to train lean mean diagnostic machines that will help in taking care of the healthcare needs of the Central Valley of California. Read all my postings on the SJVC thread. I tell applicants everything they need to know about us.

Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

Hey Lesh, so those distance programs usually require a bachelors degree? Theres no way of going from a AS in physicians assistant to MS? Lets say I did graduate from a comm college PA program (and i dont have a bachelors degree but i wanted to get my masters) what would be the best route for me to obatin my masters?

also, if you were interested in crna look into the aa(anesthesiologist assistant) career. they get equivbalent training to crna's but don't have to be rn's first. 16 states currently license aa's with new states being added every yr.

look at the aa program at case western, south university or emory for an idea what the career is like.

Emory Anesthesiologist Assistant Program is the home page for the emory program. there are links there to all of the other aa programs.

Can someone who has gone to ATSU without a bachelors please chime in? Up until this point i have had my mind set on the Nebraska MPAS or the St Francis MMS. But if i could qualify as having a BA equivalent that might influence my decision.

Also, I am trying to figure out which is cheaper Nebraska or St Francis. So far it looks like Nebraska. Only downside is St. Francis can be done during the clinicals year and Nebraska after graduation.

Can someone who has gone to ATSU without a bachelors please chime in? Up until this point i have had my mind set on the Nebraska MPAS or the St Francis MMS. But if i could qualify as having a BA equivalent that might influence my decision.

Also, I am trying to figure out which is cheaper Nebraska or St Francis. So far it looks like Nebraska. Only downside is St. Francis can be done during the clinicals year and Nebraska after graduation.

Isn't a bachelors required for admissions to St. Francis and Nebraska according to their website?

- Brian

Florida, Georgia, Colorado, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio,Oklahoma, Vermont, District of Columbia, Michigan, New Hampshire, Texas, West Virginia Wisconsin!

also, if you were interested in crna look into the aa(anesthesiologist assistant) career. they get equivbalent training to crna's but don't have to be rn's first. 16 states currently license aa's with new states being added every yr.

look at the aa program at case western, south university or emory for an idea what the career is like.

Emory Anesthesiologist Assistant Program is the home page for the emory program. there are links there to all of the other aa programs.

Isn't a bachelors required for admissions to St. Francis and Nebraska according to their website?

- Brian

Yes Brian. Both St Francis and Nebaska require a Bachelors. I am working towards mine. I dont know that i will finish it before PA school. Just in case i am checking into the ATSU bachelor equivalent option.

Yes Brian. Both St Francis and Nebaska require a Bachelors. I am working towards mine. I dont know that i will finish it before PA school. Just in case i am checking into the ATSU bachelor equivalent option.

i actually just called...they said as long as you have a license as a PA (from any comm college) you are elgible for admissions.

Man talk about a small world. Just got back from our state academy conference. Our program had a table in the exhibit hall next to ATSU. btran104 call ATUS, you need to put together an academic/professional portfolio and the school uses that to award the BS. It sounds very doable.

LesH

Les do you think we might see some community/junior colleges making agreements with a university like ATSU who is catering to the PA with a "Bachelors equialent"? Would they allow 2nd yr PA students (graduates-to-be) to enroll in their MPAS program concurrently with the PA program if the PA program has an agreement in place (similar to St. Francis) and can "attest" (for lack of better word) that the student is on track to sucessfully complete the PA program? If ATSU can allow for academic/professional portfolio as entry to their program then certainly other degree completion programs can as well. Might make for good competition. Would certainly make it easier for community/junior colleges in the future to establish new PA programs. Right?

Les do you think we might see some community/junior colleges making agreements with a university like ATSU who is catering to the PA with a "Bachelors equialent"?

Maybe

Would they allow 2nd yr PA students (graduates-to-be) to enroll in their MPAS program concurrently with the PA program if the PA program has an agreement in place (similar to St. Francis) and can "attest" (for lack of better word) that the student is on track to sucessfully complete the PA program?

I can't answer that/ Don't know.

If ATSU can allow for academic/professional portfolio as entry to their program then certainly other degree completion programs can as well. Might make for good competition. Would certainly make it easier for community/junior colleges in the future to establish new PA programs. Right?

No it has nothing to do with establishing new programs. ARC-PA has already made it clear what the standards are going to be.

Archived