Health care experience: meddical assistant or certified nurse assistant?

medical asst. requires far more training than cna and generally has more responsibility. a cna course is 50-80 hrs. and can be done in 2 weeks.

medical asst. typically takes 6-9 mo full time with the option of extending 3 more months to get a Ltd xray license..

in my neck of the woods MA's make up to 25/hr and cna's max out at less than 20.

rn>lpn>ma>cna

depends on the school

emt-basic is 120 hrs of training

emt-intermediate is 500 or so more

emt-paramedic typically runs 2 yrs for an a.s. level program after a min of 6 mo as an emt-b although some shorter programs still exist(mine was 1 yr in the early 90's).

MA>EMT-basic>phleb for most programs.

emt-basics can work on an ambulance or as er techs and be trained to draw blood, give injections, etc on the job. phleb is just drawing blood, generally in a lab or hospital. not great experience.

I was an emt-basic first in high school then worked as an er tech and was cross trained on the job as an ma(at the time you could do on the job training for ma. much harder to do that now and be licensed). I worked as an er tech all through college doing essentially an lpn scope of practice(iv's, neb tx, etc) except for foleys and hanging drips. then later went to paramedic school right after college.

In my opinion RN > EMT-P > RT/LVN > ER Tech (EMT-B or I) > MA > PBT/EKG/Radiology Tech > CNA in ICU/ER/CCU etc > EMT-I / EMT-B (on a rig) / CNA in skilled nursing facility.

Just my opinion though.

My EMT-B took me 4 weeks, EKG tech 4 weekends, PBT 1.5 months

Total time 4 months and I use all those skills in the ER along side MD/RN/PA/RTs...

Where does scribe fit in? Not joking anymore.....Medex has that on their page as being acceptable healthcare experience. Trying to wrap my head around that one.

as shadowing....I'm guessing it doesn't fly for the bs option sites and won't fly when they open the new site at tacoma..

I have a friend who is a current medex student who says there are no scribes in their class.

I have heard some faculty say they do not really look at scribing as HCE at info sessions. But, then again, it probably wouldn't be listed if they wouldn't accept in in certain instances. They have accepted folks with non-traditional HCE such as pharmacy tech etc. lots of times. I think a lot of it has to do with their diversity policies - they like to have students from various backgrounds to round out the class. I have spoken with several MEDEX students/grads & faculty who have said there is no real rhyme or reason as to how they are picked, & that there have been many instances of folks getting very far & waitlisted, only to not even get an interview the following year. They fill a class based on what they want the group dynamic of that class to be, & not necessarily on what might be though of as the most qualified applicants. If you are in an interview session filled with 49 males that have been paramedics for 10+ years & one female that has been a CNA for 5 years, the female is going to have the better odds, because they like variety. It's a system that seems to work well for how they teach the program. All I can say is if MEDEX is what you want, keep applying & hope for the best.

To the OP, I would also say medical assistant may be looked at more favorably by most schools, especially if you can work in primary care, urgent care, or as an ER tech, where you get to see a wide variety of problems, procedures, etc.

Oh, & as Steve pointed out too with the link, they do highly encourage shadowing, which is why I now recommend it to everyone applying there, regardless if they have worked side by side with PAs their entire medical career. I think they just want to see that you have made the effort to spend time with them outside of the hours you were getting paid, finding out about the profession. I think formal shadowing, or buying the PA lunch & having an in depth conversation, as Steve recommends, would be okay. I know that others have got in without doing that, but the competition is tough, so why not try to cover all your bases if you can easily do so?

Ill pretty much defer to the folks who've worked many of those roles. Contrarian started at square one and worked up. So did emed. I wouldn't put rad techs below most of those that you did... Certainly not phlebotomists. Rad folks know a lot. You are missing surg techs as well... That's a challenging role. And skilled nursing facilities... That can demand a lot out of an aid. Some MA roles are a joke.... Vitals and scribe duties. I think a lot of the generalities of your hierarchy seem sound, but there are caveats that are lagging slightly.

I'm not talking down any roles, just my opinion as far as what you'll experience and learn on the job to prepare for PA school that's how I would rank them. The reason why I put ER tech and MA over PBT is that most places req applicants to have a PBT license. Also in terms of tech jobs / imaging most people I noticed like x-ray tech or ultrasound off the top of my head can see / interpret results but aren't involved in the process of resolving the PTs chief complaint.

I should have also specified I was speaking about back office MA only on my list. Front office MA doesn't count as HCE just like a unit facilitator wouldn't due to no direct pt contact.

I'd put scribe between techs and rig EMTs, although they no direct pt contact they are seeing and writing everything so I can imagine how much they are learning. I dont know enough about medtechs to list them.

For HCE, are most schools looking for hands-on patient care? i can see why they'd prefer someone who already knows how to start IV's/administer meds, etc. The longer the schooling, the better it looks, but will working as an emt basic still fulfill the requirement? I don't know if I have the two years to get certified as a paramedic or MA, I would like to start applying soon. Another question for people who are MA's or paramedics and are applying: did you go through the schooling because you wanted experience to apply to PA school, or were you already employed and decided to go back to school? Also, would a clinical research coordinator count as patient care experience? You aren't giving meds or working in emergency situations, but you are talking to patients and their doctors. Thank you!

For HCE, are most schools looking for hands-on patient care? i can see why they'd prefer someone who already knows how to start IV's/administer meds, etc. The longer the schooling, the better it looks, but will working as an emt basic still fulfill the requirement? I don't know if I have the two years to get certified as a paramedic or MA, I would like to start applying soon. Another question for people who are MA's or paramedics and are applying: did you go through the schooling because you wanted experience to apply to PA school, or were you already employed and decided to go back to school? Also, would a clinical research coordinator count as patient care experience? You aren't giving meds or working in emergency situations, but you are talking to patients and their doctors. Thank you!

With enough patience, you can teach a monkey to start IVs and do other procedures. It is not the physical aspect of performing the maneuver but rather the understanding of WHY it is being done in the first place and secondly the provider needs to know what to do if/when the procedure goes poorly. Ie: no IV access found, now what? Gave IO fluids and now patient can't breathe that well...why? Fluid on the lungs with a dropping O2 sat? What to do? Pt is allergic to furosemide, now what? Non compliant with CPAP?....The example is an exaggeration but it illustrates my point.

The more direct patient care you perform the more experience you gain at communicating with patients, gathering experience listening to them with a clinical ear. A volunteer or front desk staff or phlebotomist may chat all day with dozens of patients but they don't have the advantage of comparing physical findings with patient history. ie: pt is seated in the waiting room complaining of lower back pain. While staff is gathering their intake form the patient appears distraught and uncomfortable. Later, while the patient is seated on the exam table during the interview their cellphone in their purse rings. The patient twists their torso to the side, leans laterally to reach their purse to retrieve the phone but never winces, hesitates, or shows other physical impairment. During the exam the patient is unable to stand, face forward, bend laterally to touch the side of their knee. Now, what do you do with all these findings? Pt is allergic to NSAIDS and has reported that OxyContin is the only drug that gives them relief. What do you do with these patients? Call them a drug seeking malingerer and toss them on the street? Another example... While gathering pt history the pt denies any medical history or hospitalizations. They also cite an allergy to haloperidol and midazolam. Does this make you take a moment to ask WTF? How does the patient know they are allergic to those meds?

The examples I gave are all commonly found in clinics, ERs and ambulances daily. Hence, the advantage of being employed in those fields prior to PA school. Your previous experience will serve you well as a provider. All that being said only about 40% of schools require HCE. Personally I am constantly grateful of my experience before hand as it allows me to attend PA school with relatively low stress.

I was already employed as a paramedic and decided to go back to school. I encourage young fresh college students who are still seeking their path in medicine to go to med school. The first two years are indeed super hard but then you get five years of pt care experience, guided by mentors and educators to develop your clinical ear and judgement. You finish with a very high earning potential and almost limitless opportunity.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

With enough patience, you can teach a monkey to start IVs and do other procedures. It is not the physical aspect of performing the maneuver but rather the understanding of WHY it is being done in the first place and secondly the provider needs to know what to do if/when the procedure goes poorly. Ie: no IV access found, now what? Gave IO fluids and now patient can't breathe that well...why? Fluid on the lungs with a dropping O2 sat? What to do? Pt is allergic to furosemide, now what? Non compliant with CPAP?....The example is an exaggeration but it illustrates my point.

The more direct patient care you perform the more experience you gain at communicating with patients, gathering experience listening to them with a clinical ear. A volunteer or front desk staff or phlebotomist may chat all day with dozens of patients but they don't have the advantage of comparing physical findings with patient history. ie: pt is seated in the waiting room complaining of lower back pain. While staff is gathering their intake form the patient appears distraught and uncomfortable. Later, while the patient is seated on the exam table during the interview their cellphone in their purse rings. The patient twists their torso to the side, leans laterally to reach their purse to retrieve the phone but never winces, hesitates, or shows other physical impairment. During the exam the patient is unable to stand, face forward, bend laterally to touch the side of their knee. Now, what do you do with all these findings? Pt is allergic to NSAIDS and has reported that OxyContin is the only drug that gives them relief. What do you do with these patients? Call them a drug seeking malingerer and toss them on the street? Another example... While gathering pt history the pt denies any medical history or hospitalizations. They also cite an allergy to haloperidol and midazolam. Does this make you take a moment to ask WTF? How does the patient know they are allergic to those meds?

The examples I gave are all commonly found in clinics, ERs and ambulances daily. Hence, the advantage of being employed in those fields prior to PA school. Your previous experience will serve you well as a provider. All that being said only about 40% of schools require HCE. Personally I am constantly grateful of my experience before hand as it allows me to attend PA school with relatively low stress.

I was already employed as a paramedic and decided to go back to school. I encourage young fresh college students who are still seeking their path in medicine to go to med school. The first two years are indeed super hard but then you get five years of pt care experience, guided by mentors and educators to develop your clinical ear and judgement. You finish with a very high earning potential and almost limitless opportunity.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Agree with Steve, except IIRC, the percentage of schools that still require HCE is more like 80%. There was an article about it and someone posted it on here a few months back....

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Archived