How much does GPA matter when I am in PA school?

Hello, I just started PA school this past week and am feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of classes/information that is required. I understand that for the most part, GPA isn't super important when attending PA school, as long as you are passing. However, I am worried about how easily I can find a job right when I graduate; can GPA help with job finding? I am also having mixed feelings about residency and don't want to close off that as an option yet. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Especially those who have already graduated and possibly working as a PA already. 

I can't speak to residency applications as I didn't go that route 15 years ago when I graduated but your grades in the program don't seem to affect your ability to get job offers.

You do want to stay off probation and do well enough to see what you get a chance to learn tomorrow. Do your best and try to learn as much as you can. THAT attitude can make a difference in your future successes.

Do as well as you can, don't obsess, and best wishes!

• Upvote 1

Residency programs do look at GPA's.  Employers don't care about PA program grades or PANCE scores.  They care about whether you have passed PANCE (i.e. able to get a license) and what they hear from folks who worked with you on your clinical rotations.  They also care about how you do on you interview(s) with them.

GPA doesn't help land a job. That's down to the interview, your resume, your letters, etc. Many students are hired before they even graduate, so as long as you pass even the PANCE scores don't matter.

I'm not sure about residency. I assume if they are weighing two otherwise identical new graduates GPA might come into play.

Hahahahahaha this discussion caused some major issues earlier this year. 

I look at the GPA as your ability to retain and regurgitate knowledge, maybe even apply it, so to me your GPA is important as it is the best measurement we have in academics of your ability to demonstrate knowledge gained.

Agree with above that outside of residency nobody cares about your GPA. Although many first jobs (and residencies) may ask for a letter from someone in your program, and if you've been an "issue" academically that letter may not say what you want it to.

Based on my personal experience, GPA does not matter at all in terms of finding a job after you graduate from a PA program as long as you pass the PANCE. When I applied for jobs, not a single employer asked me about my PA school GPA or PANCE score. I also applied for residency programs and a few of the programs that I applied for did have requirement for GPA and I remember it was like 3.5.