Is CNA a good way to gain health care experience while taking PA pre reqs?

I am changing careers after 10 years in advertising. I've started taking my PA pre reqs and I volunteer at Children's Memorial. I'm eager to start working in healthcare, but with my goal being to start PA school in a few years, I need to find something doesn't require a lot of training. I'd appreciate any insight into CNA, whether or not this is a good option considering my situation, and other ideas for employment in an entry-level patient care role.

I was a CNA. If you work in a hospital setting you get plenty of exposure. You might also meet up with some PAs and you can ask about shadowing, that can lead to LORs. If you do private duty you can name your own hours and type of duty. If you work in a LTHC facility it will be back breaking work, trust me. It will be long hours, low pay usually, you may end up so frustrated you might decide medicine isn't for you. If you decide to stay you will know what you're getting into.

YES YES YES. Working as a CNA is one of the most humbling experiences you can have, and it will give you an excellent perspective on the intricacies medicine and how the medical system works. A CNA job in a hospital would be more ideal, but being familiar with interacting with patients is one of the most useful things you can bring into a PA education.

Archived