How deadly is "physician's assistant"?

I submitted my CASPA essay 2 months ago and I just realized that I wrote "physician's assistant" instead of "physician assistant". But I only wrote it once, since the rest of the essay I used "PA".... but how deadly of a mistake was that? I'm seriously worried that I just diminished my chances over such a technical detail...

Guest carolanimal

Honestly, I think it might be a kiss of death. How many times have PA's on here mentioned how annoying it is to see that? I'm not even a PA and it annoys the hell out of me. I know you just want people to make you feel better, but I felt I should be honest.

Depends on who is reading your app

As you can see it is a sore point for some

BUT....

you are also entering PA school to learn, about the practice of medicine AND about the profession itself

This is one thing that you have yet to learn about

(anyone who tells you every PAS should know everything about the profession prior to school is "talking game"...)

don't obsess over it and learn from the experience- you know you'll never do it again!

If you get an interview, address it head on and show what you've learned.

If your application is otherwise strong, you should be fine.

How did that mistake happen? Did you not know at the time, or was it a typo? Not knowing the difference could, in the eyes of some, suggest poor knowledge of the PA profession, while a typo could be perceived as a lack of attention to detail or carelessness. Neither is flattering on an application of this importance.

It's quite a gaffe but not necessarily the kiss of death. I always found the dreaded apostrophe-s when reviewing personal statements and circled it...if it showed up once but the rest of the app was great, forgivable, but if throughout the statement, along with many other errors of assumption/omission/commission could be worse...and if the rest of the app was subpar it made it much easier to reject.

OP, if you get an interview, be sure NOT to use the possessive 's! Read up on PA history. Demonstrate that you know what you are getting into.

Good luck.

As others have said, it really depends on the person reading. It doesn't help much, but we all vary in our sensitivity to the name of the profession. For example, I myself am irritated when my friends say "PA? You mean Physician's Assistant right?" In fact I think I go overboard with it.

However, I work in an ER where our PA there calls himself a "Physician's Assistant". For some reason he says it very slowly and clearly to a patient who needed suturing. When I heard that "s" after Physician, I cringed.

I agree that it's a sensitivity issue and depends on who is reading it. I think the sensitivity has more to do with the misunderstanding by so many of the profession itself, not really in the way it's written. Just today someone asked me if I was planning to become an RN after PA school. Ummm....no! I'm starting to agree with the people who want to change the name. But about your specific issue...If I had done that, I would probably start sending apps to non-CASPA schools so I'd have a clean slate.

Probably depends on how well you show in your personal statement that you know the profession. Word always corrects it to "physician's" anyway. The admissions people are probably aware of that.

Archived