Interviews for 2013 matriculation?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, coocaro! Glad to hear you didn't cancel your other interviews! ;) Lesson learned. Next time, I will not consider it an acceptance until I have spoken to someone directly in admissions AND received a letter AND signed the matriculation agreement with deposit paid! :)

Hi all. So I got one of the infamous "wait list to interview" letters. Is there actually a chance I'll interview? Also, what about GRE scores? Is it really weighted that heavily? I got a 150 Q and 159 V. I'm afraid this might be what is holding me back. My other stats are pretty good I think. 3.7 GPA, 3.8 Science GPA and 8,000 hours paid clinical work as an RT. Thoughts?

Congrats to everyone who has acceptances/interviews! Exciting!

Krima, I think MU does put a fair amount of weight on the GRE (and your GPA), at least that is what I have been told at an open house and through phone conversations with the admissions department. I believe on their website they mention that they prefer all sections to be at least 60th percentile. However, it is by no means an absolute deciding factor if you fall just below the 60th percentile in one of the categories, especially if the rest of your application looks great. I know they take into consideration also the classes you have taken, your school/work load, volunteer work, and of course personal statement and LOR. I know some schools put more weight on healthcare experience, while others put more weight on GRE/GPA. I think MU falls into the second category. Obviously, all are important; it just depends on what the specific school thinks is a better indicator of how successful one is in PA school.

Last year, I turned my application in during the first CASPA cycle and didn't receive an interview invite until February of this year, and it was for the very last date of interviews in March. So it is very possible you will still get an interview. Waiting is the hardest part. I know; I have been there. It is very easy to get discouraged. Anyway, I ended up getting accepted in April (after being on the alternate list for a month) but had to turn it down due to a serious family illness/death. MU doesn't offer deferments, so here I go again applying this cycle. I did get an interview right away this time but find myself on the alternate list once again!

Hi I had an interview Friday at University of Pitt. There were 9 stations: one had picture of a leg and I had to fill in all the bones and muscles; picture of liver-list parts; PA over nurse prac.; what would i do if i hit my neighbor's dog?; discuss how to put on gloves.;

I did well. could not have done any better. No questions about the debate. 4 to 6 week wait. Another interview on Wed. God bless all.

Hi hereandnowiamu! I was accepted but I wouldn't focus on people's stats that got in - it really is variable and stats come sometimes be super discouraging. I really think if you get an interview it is all in how you present yourself at the interview...the best piece of advice I got during the app process was to focus on myself and not compare myself to anyone - easier said than done I know!

Hi hereandnowiamu! I was accepted but I wouldn't focus on people's stats that got in - it really is variable and stats come sometimes be super discouraging. I really think if you get an interview it is all in how you present yourself at the interview...the best piece of advice I got during the app process was to focus on myself and not compare myself to anyone - easier said than done I know!

Thanks for the advice fdamico, I agree with you it is much easier said than done. Congrats again on your acceptance. I am going to try to heed your advice and practice it :)

Unless there is something that you would like to review in the time before your interview, there isn't really any need to bring that stuff. I brought a pocket size note book and pen take notes and did write down a couple thoughts before the interview but could have done fine without it. They did ask us to email any updated unofficial transcripts and work/volunteer/shadowing experience that happened since submitting CASPA apps and you could bring that with you rather than emailing it or you could just send it before you go. Good luck!

Congratulations remiller!!!! :D So exciting for you that it is your first one. Midwestern is extremely laid back in their interview process - my personal experience is that they were really just trying to get to know me and see if my personality was a fit for their school. My advice would be have some solid foundations to why you want to be in this field. Know that this is what you want to do, what you have worked for, be passionate about it and try to relax. Do whatever calms your nerves, whether it be practicing in front of a mirror or with someone, writing things down, talking to yourself - everyone is different. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived