January 2022 Start Westfield State

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 1madmamma said:

I don’t remember having problems adding the prereq’s ( but I’m a second year so it’s been a while since CASPA!)maybe something has changed on CASPA’s part- I would just call them, they were always very helpful. 

If I remember correctly it was set up a little different last year because I remember the 30 semester hour requirement, so I don’t know if they just didn’t update it. But yeah I think I will call, better to be safe than sorry! Thank you! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Ahead24 said:

Hello! Do you know if this program has rolling admissions? Or when they send out interview invites?

Hello! I believe this program has non-rolling admissions with the deadline of 8/1/21. Their website says they will review all the applications before sending out interview invites, so I imagine invites would be coming in August!

Hi Ahead24, no we are a non-rolling admissions program. The deadline this year (as KSprePA said) is August 1st.  I was offered an interview in September and the interview day was October 6th (which if I remember correctly was a Sunday) and they called accepted students that same week. 

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like there is still no word on interviews? 

To 1madmamma and any other current or past students, are you willing to share your positives and negatives about this program? I am very interested due to location and cost, but have heard mixed reviews of the professors from someone in the current class. 

Good luck everyone who is applying!!

Got an update email  

“Thank you again for submitting your application to our program for the 2021 admissions cycle. We are excitedly reviewing all applications that have been received by the August 1st, 2021 deadline. In the coming weeks, the admissions committee will select a set of candidates to invite to an interview with the program. From those interviews, the admissions committee will ultimately select 30 finalists to invite to join us in our next cohort, the class of 2023.”

Hi FuturePAS2022!

I can only speak of my experience. I love being here! I have found the faculty and staff to be really supportive, they want every student to succeed and graduate! There is the expectation that you will be a self motivated learner and I don’t think that is very different from any other PA program- there is not enough time to spoon feed you all the  material you need to know, so this might be a very steep learning curve for some students.  After speaking to students from other programs on my rotations, and hearing their horror stories, I am so very grateful that I am at Westfield! In terms of the professors and staff, I  have found them all to  be kind, approachable and professional.  My advice if you have any questions or concerns about the faculty would to contact the program directly. I personally have no complaints and have had a very positive experience at Westfield (other than COVID and being online 😞, which no one expected!). I hope getting information from both students and faculty can help you determine if Westfield is a good fit for you.  I wish you all the best and hope you get the chance to interview!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi FuturePAS2021, current Westfield PA student here. I can only speak about the classroom year, but overall I would really recommend my program. Professor Marchesi is honestly is the best professor I’ve ever had. Her expectations of you are extremely high, but her courses are set up in a way that makes it possible to learn everything she wants you to know in the short time you are given. I don’t think I’ve ever studied so hard in my life, but it is always reflected in my grades with her. She will mentor you and helps motivate you when you are feeling down or lost. The two new professors are nice but I haven’t figured out a way to learn from them. This doesn’t mean they are bad, I am just more confused sometimes when I leave their classes and their exams seem random. The good news is their exam grades are scaled so I usually watch osmosis videos and read PANCE prep pearls during classes that I don’t learn from and still receive a good grade so it’s fine in the end.

I have friends in other programs who seem much less happy than I am, so I don’t think the grass is green elsewhere! DM if you have any more questions and good luck with your interviews! And good luck to everyone applying! 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1