How difficult is it to get in to stony brook PA?

I'm trying to get some idea of the level of competitiveness for this particular program.

I'm actually a two time graduate of stony brook already, a BA in psychology from 2002, and a BS in Cytotechnology from 2008. Earned at the same school of health tech and management that PAs attend, even taking some of the same classes with them (gross anatomy, physiology, etc).

I did pretty well, my GPA is 3.42 for my second degree, which was 90% hard sciences and medical. I'm currently working as a Cytotechnologist in a hospital, which should fufill the patient care requirements about ten times over by the time I'm ready to apply, which would roughly be in about five years, so about ten years of health care experience under my belt (I'd be about 38 when I apply).

I know that on paper I far exceed the requirements. But still, I wonder if its enough. I honestly can't imagine attending any other school. Stony Brook is my home, both figuratively and literally. I've spent countless sleepless nights studying for tests in the HSC, and I look forward to doing it again when I get the chance.

Can any of the recently accepted give me a indication if I'd be a favorable candidate?

Hi Mdaria510,

I haven't been accepted to their program (yet) but it's definitely at the top of my list. I am applying this year too, and I think you have a really good chance of getting in, not just because of your stats and work experience but because you are a NY resident. I was wondering though, since you know a lot about Stony Brook, are you familiar with the cadaver lab that they offer? I mean, is it a full dissection cadaver lab or is it already dissected by the PT students and PA students get only to observe? Thank you anyways, and good luck to you! :)

Hi Mdaria510,

I haven't been accepted to their program (yet) but it's definitely at the top of my list. I am applying this year too, and I think you have a really good chance of getting in, not just because of your stats and work experience but because you are a NY resident. I was wondering though, since you know a lot about Stony Brook, are you familiar with the cadaver lab that they offer? I mean, is it a full dissection cadaver lab or is it already dissected by the PT students and PA students get only to observe? Thank you anyways, and good luck to you! :)

Oh it's full dissection, and you're expected to get *very* hands on. When I was there, there were roughly 50 cadavers, about 6 students per cadaver, and about 3 faculty and 6 aides. Basically you're given instructions and left to your own devices unless you specifically ask for help and instruction. The faculty will roam around and give personal time to each group, answering any questions, assisting, etc.

You will get over any squeamishness you have very quickly, trust me. The hardest part is the first day, when the cadaver is still fairly intact and you haven't quite adjusted to the gore. You probably won't get used to the awful smell of formalin and body fat, no matter how much vicks you use, and it will definitely leave the room with you. By the time you're done, you'll barely recognize the cadaver, and you'll be able to name every minor orfice in the skull. You'll also be unable to eat spare ribs for a few months.

The faculty were absolutely great while I was there, although it is imperative you get along with your group. If you dont, ask to be switched. You're basically spending your summer taking the most difficult class you can ever imagine, with people you're meeting for the first time. Everyone has their own style of learning, and that can cause friction when some members are more hands on than others. It can be so intense and stressful for the students that little annoyances can really blow up.

It's definitely a trial by fire, but I have no doubt that if you're accepted in the first place, you'll make it through. Lemme know if you have any other questions about the school or the area....I actually live in the town of Stony Brook. :)

• 2 weeks later...

valeevad,

it sounds to me like you have excellent qualifications! i applied this year and have been invited to interview next month. (HCE ~1300 hours as a CNA in a hospital, GPA 3.5 cum - including my horrible early years).

i live in albany right now. i noticed you are "older" and live in the area. i'm in my 30's and have a hubby and 2 children. can you tell me about the local schools? my oldest starts kindergarten this year. i've heard 3 village is a great district, but i don't know how affordable the housing is there. also, can you recommend some inexpensive but not horrifiying areas to look for housing? it may be a pipe dream, but i'd like to keep rent for a 2 bedroom apartment under $1200 and not drive terribly far every day if the stars align and i get accepted. thanks so much!

valeevad,

it sounds to me like you have excellent qualifications! i applied this year and have been invited to interview next month. (HCE ~1300 hours as a CNA in a hospital, GPA 3.5 cum - including my horrible early years).

i live in albany right now. i noticed you are "older" and live in the area. i'm in my 30's and have a hubby and 2 children. can you tell me about the local schools? my oldest starts kindergarten this year. i've heard 3 village is a great district, but i don't know how affordable the housing is there. also, can you recommend some inexpensive but not horrifiying areas to look for housing? it may be a pipe dream, but i'd like to keep rent for a 2 bedroom apartment under $1200 and not drive terribly far every day if the stars align and i get accepted. thanks so much!

Well, the schools are indeed excellent, probably the highest paid teachers in the country. I dont think you could go wrong with any of the districts around the area. The flip side to that is some of the highest property taxes in the country. Unfortunately it's a very suburban area and actual apartments are rare. I personally paid 900 a month for a basement apartment in someones house 5 years ago....you'll find plenty of those. There are some complexes, but 1200 for a 2 bedroom is definitely optimistic. Expect more like 1500 before utilities.

Stony brook is just shy of the north coast. As a general rule, the further towards the middle of the island you go, the cheaper and "more horrible" the neighborhoods get. The further east you go, the less built up everything is, and the cheaper it is. More specifically, anything north of 25A is out of your (and most people's) price range. Between 25A and 347 it's quite nice. South of 347 it gets a little less nice, but still shouldn't be frightening to live there. There's no major poverty or crime in most of the region. I wouldn't go anywhere south of the LIE, you're just better off looking more east at that point.

I will Chime in quick. I am the class of 2014 at SBU. Our class was apparently extremely competitive, with 1850 applications, 180 interviews and only 44 that got in. They have not gone on the wait list for many years now. If you do the calculations, that is between a 2-3% acceptance rate. Focus on hours and WHY you want to be a PA. Shine on the Supplemental, get your stuff in early, and then worry about the interview. Hope that helps!

Oh and the Cadaver..very interesting and is FULL BODY. You do the entire body section-by-section (NOT a systems approach like in Undergrad) in about two months. It's intense but worth it! ok off to study for the PPI final! Next week is Anatomy Final!

Thank you guys for your awesome feedback! I cannot wait until cadaver lab!

Dear Jene,

I have submitted my CASPA application mid-May, and my supplementary on the 26th of July (after my CASPA application has been received). I have not heard back, and I am really worried. I called and left a voicemail and emailed to ask if my application has been received. If you have already been invited for the interview, does that mean bad news are coming for me? :((

valeevad,

Hi Jene,

Congratulations and good luck!!! I am waiting to hear from them - fingers crossed!! They received my CASPA app on 8/6 and I sent my supplmental on 8/8. How quick of a turnaround time do they have?

hubeauty and valeevad,

thanks guys! i submitted my supplemental in mid july (16th-ish) and received my interview invitation on july 26th. i submitted my caspa in early june, although it wasn't "mailed" until the first mailing in late june. i would imagine their turn around is a little slower now, assuming more applications are coming in around this time of year than in june/july. good luck to you guys and thanks for your feedback!

mdaria,

thanks so much for the info! i'll check those areas.

• 1 month later...

I had an interview in September and was lucky enough to be offered a spot for the upcoming class :) Interviews are super chill here! So don't be worried about them at all. You have two 20 minute interviews with two interviewers in each session. They are very conversational and they really try to get to know you! None of those "if you were a pencil in a blender how would you get out" ones. They want to know how you will fit into their program and other people they have accepted. They seem to do a really good job too with getting a good class together. The first year students really seemed to meld well and get along. Good luck :)

Archived