PA future

1 minute ago, PACali said:

Physician organization does not care and will not fight for us. The sooner we realized the better. Some PAs still dreaming physicians are on our side because we are "Physician" assistant. Physician organizations do not have our best interest. 

PACali, 

I agree with you. My point is that our PA leadership has done a crap job at convincing physicians to partner with us. Will they? Some will. I have been around several who prefer PAs over NPs and know why they do. Instead of wasting time changing our name (which will confuse the crap out of patients) we should be spending money on a strategy to get Physicians on board. I can't imagine how much money we've wasted on name changing surveys. It took us this long for patients to understand who we are now the younger PAs want to change our name thinking it will give us a new start. Crazy! It's about the patients! I've also been around long enough to know that changing our name won't change ANYTHING for our practice. Other than more money on marketing corrections. Great idea!!! ANOTHER PA LEGISLATIVE FAIL!!! 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask patients what they think. But, like insurance companies, the AAPA and PAs at large only care about what they feel and think. We should be building on what is already known. We should be fighting for billing rights. We should be collaborating with Physicians and holding them accountable for that collaboration. Physicians don't care, because mostly they don't have to care. We need some leverage on the collaboration. Optimal Team Practice is a great idea! We should build on that. And leave our name alone. IMHO.

15 minutes ago, ERPA2005 said:

PACali, 

I agree with you. My point is that our PA leadership has done a crap job at convincing physicians to partner with us. Will they? Some will. I have been around several who prefer PAs over NPs and know why they do.  

Agree. at least right now I think the PA leadership (at least majority of them) realized Physician organization will never partner with us. You can tell from AAPA's OTP statements. Individual physicians, they don't want supervised PAs. They are employees. 

I think the pandemic will make things worse. Physicians hours are cut, laid off. There were multiple campaigns from AMA, AAEM attacking PA/NP last year. There will be more to come.  

25 minutes ago, ERPA2005 said:

Instead of wasting time changing our name (which will confuse the crap out of patients) we should be spending money on a strategy to get Physicians on board. I can't imagine how much money we've wasted on name changing surveys. It took us this long for patients to understand who we are now the younger PAs want to change our name thinking it will give us a new start. Crazy! It's about the patients! I've also been around long enough to know that changing our name won't change ANYTHING for our practice. Other than more money on marketing corrections. Great idea!!! ANOTHER PA LEGISLATIVE FAIL!!! 

I don't think changing our name will solve all our problems, but our title is one of the problem. A big one. 90% of PAs think there is a disconnection with our title. We out grown our title. AAPA better make a decision to change it. If not, they will lose a lot of members.

Even if one day we become independent, who would patients rather see? an assistant, a practitioner or a physician? 

I think AAPA should bundle  OTP with Title change together and make it into a 10 year plan. That will certainly get a lot of attention, maybe more $ or memberships.