Confusing salary question

Hello all! I have a quick question about a new salary restructuring my hospital just underwent a few months ago that I’m confused by. Essentially we work 10 hour days and are required to work 17-19 to keep our full time salaried positions. So if I work 17 days and my coworker works 19 days, we get paid the same monthly salary.

on top of that when I request time off for any reason,  I am scheduled for my necessary 17-19 shifts (varies per month since we currently don’t have a set schedule due to limited staff) and am usually as off for the days I requested off so I don’t have the opportunity to use PH/vacation/sick time anymore unless it’s a situation where I call in unplanned. 
i hope I am explaining this well but I just have not heard of this being done elsewhere. Before this change we were salaried working 4 days a week and could actually use our PH/vacation/sick time when we requested off. Has anyone experienced this?

No but let me be the first to say ....never work for salary. It is a formula for being abused.

We were hourly and required to work x number of shifts a month to maintain our full time status. Work more...get paid more. There shouldn't be a disparity between different people who are making the same salary. There should be a hard number (you must work 14 shifts to maintain)  your full time status and if you work more you earn more.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jenw89 said:

Hello all! I have a quick question about a new salary restructuring my hospital just underwent a few months ago that I’m confused by. Essentially we work 10 hour days and are required to work 17-19 to keep our full time salaried positions. So if I work 17 days and my coworker works 19 days, we get paid the same monthly salary.

on top of that when I request time off for any reason,  I am scheduled for my necessary 17-19 shifts (varies per month since we currently don’t have a set schedule due to limited staff) and am usually as off for the days I requested off so I don’t have the opportunity to use PH/vacation/sick time anymore unless it’s a situation where I call in unplanned. 
i hope I am explaining this well but I just have not heard of this being done elsewhere. Before this change we were salaried working 4 days a week and could actually use our PH/vacation/sick time when we requested off. Has anyone experienced this?

Talk to HR. PTO is supposed to reduce your work requirement. Sometimes it's nice to have time off without having to use it, but no one should be telling you it can't be used. When we make our schedule, our administrator will ask if we have a minimum or maximum number of PTO hours we would like to use. The PTO is slotted into the schedule to help us reach our hours requirement, even if we don't have a specific day we need to be gone.