Masters Program before PA school?

Does anyone have a suggestion of a masters program you did before pa school that better prepared you? I need a way to prove I'm capable of doing graduate level work since my undergrad grades are below par. My major was psychology so I want to get more science classes under my belt!

lets just say it's below 2.8 :) -- embarrassingly low. my pre-req's so far are all above a B with the exception of Statistics © and Chem 1 (C+) but I am planning on doing Orgo, Microbio, Patho and life span development all to help boost my gpa. I'm looking for a good online pharmacology class. these classes are all getting expensive and I'm not sure how many i'll need to take to reach a 3.0. But I hear what you're saying about getting undgrad GPA above the 3.0 mark. I thought if I could do well in a masters program, that might be looked at more favorably since it's graduate level work.

I received my MS in human anatomy. That doesn't mean I just took a really intense gross anatomy course. It also involved some very intense embrology, neurobiology, and histology in addition to a couple of electives. My program was closely related to the medical school in the same building. Not only did I learn everything about the human body, but I developed some amazing study habits and techniques.

The MA in Medical Sciences at BU is designed exactly for students like yourself, those who want to prove themselves in a graduate level science curriculum. Its a program with courses in histology, physiology, biochemistry, biostatistics, and other electives. The courses are taken at the BU school of medicine and follow the same curriculum and rigor as the medical school programs. It is a well respected program for preparation of entry into the health sciences. Though it would not bring up your undergraduate GPA, it definitely would show your potential to handle graduate science coursework in a rigorous environment, and can be completed in just a single year if you are motivated.

I have a bachelor's and master's in Psychology, so I had to go back and get all the undergrad science prereqs. The admissions committees were impressed that I had a better graduate GPA (3.4) than undergrad (2.62), but they were more impressed that I had a super high science GPA (3.9) once I took all the prereqs. There were many years between undergrad and prereqs, so I made the case that I had matured in my personal statement. Even with my 44 graduate hours and 40+ prereq hours, my overall GPA only came up to 2.9. It's almost impossible to signifanctly improve an overall GPA because you take so many undergrad hours. I would concentrate less on bringing up your overall GPA and more on taking or retaking science courses and getting all As.

Archived