Have to make a decision by Friday. Need guidance

Hello fellow PA's , 

I got the official written letter from La Clinica ( Community Health Clinic ) . I have to make decision by Friday , bet ween this offer and the Private clinic offer 

Again I graduated in 2018, worked in corrections  ( for 1 yr 9 months )  since then. I was payed very well in the corrections , but the atmosphere was very toxic and the manager started micromanaging and I quit the job one month ago. Currently have 2 offers to decide.

1)La clinica :

Base pay : 108, 068 annually , Location : 25 mins drive , has loan repayment options through ( NHSC LRP) last time I talked to the HR she said  mostly people who applied from the site got it . They have very good ( medical , dental and vision package ) , 10 days paid holidays Allowences for CME , license renewal , DEA renewal , have 2  weeks vaction, 144 hrs of sick leave offer malpractice insurance. there is educational leave ( 80 Hours ) ,clinical training  ( 6 months probation ) ( 10 -11 ) patients ,2 yrs contract 

2) Private Clinic ( Under Bass medical Group) 

Base pay hourly : 67.00 /hour currently 36 hrs ( roughly 125 K)  dont know when it will be 40 hours ( , 2 locations)  ( 2 days in clinic that is 45 mins away)  , no loan repayment , & paid holidays , 4 sick leave Vacation 80 hrs annually , other health benefis ( medical , dental, vision) 401 k starts 1 yr after the  service ,  No contract , at will. working under one DO ( patient flow is high) 

I know its a personal decision , but would appreciate a feed back  keeping in mind I have huge student loans ( > 250 K) to take care. Thank you. 

La Clinic:  $54/hr.  10 paid holidays = $4320.   2 weeks vacation = $4320   144 hours of sick leave (that's over 3 weeks, you sure that's right?) = $7776  And CME time is $4320.  That's $20,736 worth of time OFF you get.

Bass:  $67/hr.  No paid holidays.  4 sick days = $2144.  80 hours PTO = $5360, for total of $7504 worth of time off.

Add that $13K difference to the La Clinic pay and it comes pretty close to making up the difference in pay.  Sounds like you have enough time off to get a 2nd job as well (you are in so much debt you should work as much as you can!).  I wouldn't count on getting the loan repayment, but if you do then it's gravy on the biscuits!

One other thought:  When it comes to decision making, our minds often get tied up in knots about what SHOULD be the easiest decisions to make.  

There are three kinds of outcome based decisions to make.

1:  Two bad outcomes.  Either way you choose, both outcomes will be bad.  The goal is to make the LEAST bad decision.  This is a terrible position to be in.

2:  One bad outcome and one good outcome.  This is a difficult position to be in because if we choose wrong, we are left in a bad position.

3:  Two good outcomes:  This is where you seem to be.  Both of these jobs seem to be pretty good.  While one might turn out better than the other, you won't know that for months/years.  However it's no big deal, because which ever you choose it's going to be okay.

You DO have a bigger problem though...you have a TON of debt.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Empowred said:

Hello fellow PA's , 

I got the official written letter from La Clinica ( Community Health Clinic ) . I have to make decision by Friday , bet ween this offer and the Private clinic offer 

Again I graduated in 2018, worked in corrections  ( for 1 yr 9 months )  since then. I was payed very well in the corrections , but the atmosphere was very toxic and the manager started micromanaging and I quit the job one month ago. Currently have 2 offers to decide.

1)La clinica :

Base pay : 108, 068 annually , Location : 25 mins drive , has loan repayment options through ( NHSC LRP) last time I talked to the HR she said  mostly people who applied from the site got it . They have very good ( medical , dental and vision package ) , 10 days paid holidays Allowences for CME , license renewal , DEA renewal , have 2  weeks vaction, 144 hrs of sick leave offer malpractice insurance. there is educational leave ( 80 Hours ) ,clinical training  ( 6 months probation ) ( 10 -11 ) patients ,2 yrs contract 

2) Private Clinic ( Under Bass medical Group) 

Base pay hourly : 67.00 /hour currently 36 hrs ( roughly 125 K)  dont know when it will be 40 hours ( , 2 locations)  ( 2 days in clinic that is 45 mins away)  , no loan repayment , & paid holidays , 4 sick leave Vacation 80 hrs annually , other health benefis ( medical , dental, vision) 401 k starts 1 yr after the  service ,  No contract , at will. working under one DO ( patient flow is high) 

I know its a personal decision , but would appreciate a feed back  keeping in mind I have huge student loans ( > 250 K) to take care. Thank you. 

As has been said many times before it depends on what your currency is. What we want most from a job is personal and changes as time goes by. Every position has its pluses and minuses. My suggestion is this... make a 2 column list and list everything good and bad about each job. Then move those things up and down based on what is important to you. Put your lists side by side and see how things stack up.

In my younger days I was all about money money money. Now I'm all about work/life balance and low stress so my list from 25 years ago wouldn't look anything like my list now.

I will tell you I worked in a community health center and really disliked it for many reasons. The patients are complicated, often challenging because of limited intelligence and education and world view, and have few resources. I found it enormously frustrating. I have an old friend who still works for the same clinic and really likes it because he feels he is helping the most vulnerable.

So figure out what your currency is, make some lists and prioritize. (I know...lists? Isn't there an app for that?) It will help clarify your choice. BTW if you have a SO include them in the list making. Everyone has to live with the decision.

• Upvote 1