Advice on NP student shadow

I've recently begun working at a FM/Urgent Care practice where there's a NP student shadowing me occasionally. She's worked as a RN in Hospice for 3 years and is garnering her clinical hours towards her NP (she is preparing to take her boards in a few months).

That's all fine, and I don't mind her shadowing me. However, she's begun trying to intimidate me and I'm not sure how to handle that. Meaning, today she started introducing herself before me in the room. I asked her to stop doing that, explaining that it was inappropriate since she's not seeing the patient as a provider and she agreed. Later we're sitting working and she makes an obvious display of checking my license online. I got a bit of a kick out of that but now thinking back find it inappropriate ... would she do that with a Doctor next to her? Then at the end of the day she states how she doesn't understand why NPs are superior to PAs. I handled that fine, but basically am uncertain how to deal with her from here on. I don't want to make her uncomfortable around me, but she's distracting me during my very busy day.

She's from the same country as my SP so they have a bond, understandably, so I don't want to bring any of this up to him and would rather deal with it head on myself. Any suggestions as to how to keep my cool and still help her to see that her behavior is inappropriate as a student?

I'm not sure she 'has me cornered' (although I'd agree that she might think she does), but there is a bond there and I'm really not interested in interfering with that. Still, at the end of the day I'm the one making the money for him and they've already told me they're not interested in hiring her as a provider. I think I just need to keep my cool, let her play her games. She's probably trying to learn about my profession in a vicarious way and just hasn't yet learned the professional skills necessary in the workplace. Still, if I looked up my preceptor's license in front of them on a rotation, I most likely would have been asked to leave. I'm not her preceptor, but I do know that if she makes me me feel uncomfortable again (or a patient), then I will likely ask her to sit out for a while.

Archived