2nd degree..torn between PA and Nursing

I am almost finished with pre-reqs for most nursing school and PA programs and am in the process of applying to schools. I am applying to both nursing and PA programs. I've been reading posts on this forum for a while and posts in a nursing forum. The difference I do see are pay, of course, and job satisfaction including work schedule.

Sometimes I feel it is better to enroll in an accelerated BSN program and try to work in ICU (where I'd like to really work) then work for a couple of years. From that point, I can decide whether to pursue going to CRNA, NP, or PA school since I am planning to work on a graduate degree in the health care field.

But then I also tell me myself, why waste time being a nurse then going to school 2-3 years to become a PA. I've really enjoyed the posts here because I was able to learn about specialties and your experiences with them, job satisfaction, work schedule, pay, and patient interaction/care.

I am a single mom of 2 and I've been getting tons of help with relatives as far as watching my kids when I am in school or studying. I am also thinking of their future and how I do not want to miss out being around (since I am the only parent) but also want to give them a comfortable lifestyle. Not filthy rich, comfortable with room to breathe.

I plan on relocating to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area after I am done with either school. However, I would not mind moving to a place where I am offered the best salary as long as it's a great place for my kids to grow up in.

In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of me taking either route...nursing then PA or just straight into PA.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I say apply to both.

If you do not get into a PA program you could use nursing gain experience and like you said you would have various options at that point. Id hate to say this but nursing is my back up plan....should applying to PA programs not work out this time around, I plan to attend a direct entry MS rpogrm for nursing....work as a nurse for a while and then try again.

I really want to be a PA but if I do not get accepted I cannot afford to work a mediocre job for another year until I can pply again.

Guest guthriesm

The question you haven't answered:

Do you want to be a PA or a nurse?

If you want to do critical care nursing, apply, study hard and get the job.

If you want to be a mid-level provider, go to PA school.

If you just want a graduate degree, pick something fun and cheaper than PA school.

I think both plans are good, but if you became a nurse first you could make a good salary, gain experience (see if you like healthcare-just saying) and then you can go either NP or PA. FWIW. I think you are headed down the right path(s). Good luck in your endeavors.

LesH

NP may also be a better route as a single mom...there are a lot of NP programs that are night classes from what I understand, and many work during NP programs as an RN.

I just had to ask for more opinions, because my professor or former professor, who still is a practicing doctor (Cardiologist) shared with the class that as far as work schedule goes, PA would be a better choice. Now I've already thought about where I'd like to be if I was a PA...and the thing I really like about the PA profession, is the chance to move from one department/specialty to another. As a NP, you cannot do that. He also stated NPs work very long hours. Most PAs I've read about or know work the day shift. I don't mind working 5 days a week during the day. I don't mind working, period..but I don't want to feel like I've made the wrong choice and feel like I'm in a rut. Honestly, I hear more complaining about job satisfaction from nurses than I do PAs (reading forum posts and several relatives are PAs). As far as tuition for PA schools go, I've looked around and while probably more competitive..public PA schools in the south seem less expensive than others. But I guess a starting salary for a PA and for the years to come will take care of the debt. There are some nursing schools that cost as much as some PA programs do. Not for a DNP but some 4 year BSNs and accelerated programs. (ex. Samuel Merrit about 80k for accelerated nursing program)

I honestly think I would be happier with my job as a PA. But it just depends if I'm accepted or not or if I choose to take the nursing route first and go from there.

NPs and PAs hours are similar, it just depends on what your practice is. Just because you become a PA doesn't automatically mean 9-5. Just wanted to clarify that. Now onto your question.

If you are a single mother with family helping while you are in school (I too was a single mom w/family support during PA school), once into the PA program, you are looking @ 2 1/2-3 yrs depending on your program. You come out and start working, paying down your debt and hopefully have plenty of time w/your kids depending on what field you get into. If you take the nursing, you potentially could not ony take longer to finish school, but (and I see this often) you delay your process as you are the sole provider, the small income boost allows for temptation to take on more debt and delay your return to school. One good friend of mine became a nurse and got a nice sign on bonus and took a great trip, rammed up cards, etc etc. His vision of CRNA is now on hold as he has family debt to pay down. Choose what works for you primarily and your family.

1. PAs can and do work crazy hours...talk to a surgical PA...there are some FP, Internal Med PAs too that work more than the traditional 8-5 it just depends on what position you take when you graduate. Do not anybody make you think you will automatically work more or less than any other healthcare practitioner--as with any position it depends on the needs of where you apply.

2. As you said a nursing program can be more or as much as a PA program.

3. There are ABSN programs way cheaper than SM's program and many public 4 year schools offer the ABSN or 2nd degree BSN is what some call it.

4. PA is shorter IF you get in the first go around so if youre banking on being a PA you better make sure your application is solid.

5. Depending on how you go about it, CRNA or NP could take longer than the PA route BUT done right, it doesnt have to. There are direct entry MSN programs that will haave you working as a NP in 2-3 years. Most are structured to have you complete the equiv. of a BSN in the first 15 months (some award a BSN at this point but many direct entry MSN programs do not ), you will sit for the NCLEX, upon passing you will enter the work force as a RN, at this point some require you work for a min of 6 mos then start the MS portion while others allow you to go directly into the MS portion giving you the option to go full time or part time. Keep in mind that MANY hospitals have tuition reimbursement so you could go part time (or full time if youre up for it) and get most or all of that MS portion paid for...theres a direct entry CRNA program that pretty much operates the same way except you take a year in the middle to get experience and its in critical care. The PA route is only shorter

6. Some times we have to realize that what we want and what we are able to do--do not agree. Personally I would love to persue the PA profession till the cows come home but I am also a single mom and I have struggled through the last 4 years of school on cheap wages just to get work and school done and at times my daughter has felt it and she shouldnt. I do not have something like nursing or RT to fall back on and I have a responsibility to my daughter to provide for her and if that means changing the game plan....so be it. Now you dont have to agree with this...its just my opinion:smile:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I really appreciate it. One thing I am worried about is, as one poster mentioned, delaying the process. I KNOW I should've pursued a Masters degree a year or two or even right away after I graduated from college the first time..then life happened. Got married to the wrong person, had 2 kids, and in the process of divorce. So the last 2-3 years have been basically me getting back on my feet and taking pre-reqs. BTW, I am over this divorce thing so I am no longer emotional about it. It would be nice to start out as a nurse, work and make money right away while waiting to get into PA school (TRYING to save money for it), but I am reading posts on a nursing forum about nurses having to work 2 JOBS to make ends meet or support what they consider is a comfortable lifestyle. That's crazy to me. If I was by myself, I can see that happening but I have 2 other people to think about. With PA, I would be in school longer, but will probably be better compensated once I start working. I would like to settle down in Texas, so I am also keeping in mind the salary of new graduate nurses. I don't want to be one of those having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet.

But as some of you have said...try to apply to both and see where I get in. BTW, I live in CA...trying to get into a public university it really tough. Some programs are even denying 2nd degree applicants admission to the school.

I believe I will have to try my best to find some people who are nurses and physician assistants that I can shadow. I have many nurses in my family and while they have been working a while and make great money, they are always tired and look older than they are! They don't live ear me so I can't shadow them. If I was to go into nursing, I really want to work in the ICU or NICU. With PA, emergency room, dermatology, maybe some aspect of surgery. Like I said..what I like about PA vs NP is the ability to change where you work without additional schooling.

Guest guthriesm

I still think the issue is more of what you want to do- a skilled nurse in critical care can make a significant sum of money ($27-39 = $56k to 81k) especially if factored with a very different amount of loans and time to get the education. []PayScale - Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) Certification Wages, Hourly Wage Rate

I have rarely met a nurse (and I've been in healthcare >10 years) who *needs* to work two jobs. There are some who want to work two jobs to have the nicer TV, etc.

While I agree the average starting salary of a PA is in the low 70k and can definitely go up, most will graduate with >100k in loans. The cost of becoming an NP requires the training for both nurse and NP - there are some bridge (BSN to MSN) opportunities but you will have to hunt for them and it will probably put you well over the 100k in cost.The NP route will definitely take longer but it also has definite differences from PA.

If you want to be a mid-level practitioner such as PA, then figure out why PA (it will be asked) and then go for it! If you would rather be a NP (which some people really do prefer) make sure you know what you are interested/looking to get into. If you think critical care nursing will fulfill your medical interest, go for it!

I'm really glad you have family support to help with your children but this is where you have to make the best decision for you and your kids. I wouldn't apply to both hoping something works out- what if you hate nursing school? What if you find yourself dissatisfied with PA?

Age is also relative. I have been out of college for 6 years and many of the applicants on this forum are well into their 30s and 40s and some are even in their 50s. You can do this as long as you have the drive and desire. Good luck!

Well I would suggest at least applying to PA school especially if you have some sort of health care experience. PA school will probably be about 3 years with a masters. (Since all programs are moving to at least a masters in the next few years) It is tough but in the long run it sounds like the best choice for time invested, where you want to be career-wise and what you will be in debt for. Apply to all in-state schools because the tuition is a lot cheaper.

PS I am a little biased due to my own experience. We have a pharmacist and a RN in our class of 70. I am looking at 100k in debt but that includes tuition and living expenses. Tuition in state is about 10k cheaper than out of state.

pay is not even close..PA far far better. I know. Nursing is nursing. PA is not at all similar. Nursing school is time consuming. No such thing as a "2nd"degree RN. no matter the degree, its RN. Pay diff from adn to msn is very very little. Pick one and do it.

Its called 2nd degree because its an accelerated BSN for students who already have a BS in something other than nursing

pay is not even close..PA far far better. I know. Nursing is nursing. PA is not at all similar. Nursing school is time consuming. No such thing as a "2nd"degree RN. no matter the degree, its RN. Pay diff from adn to msn is very very little. Pick one and do it.

It depends on what part of the states you practice. I make far, far more than I did as a ADN. I don't know any adn's making six figures!

The techs in our hospital clean the bedpans....not the nurses :-)

OP do not simply compare RN to PA because its not a fair comparison thats like comparing EMT B/P to PA--they are different jobs, that have differing pays ect.

To make it more fair compare the end results--I say this because it seems like if you wentthe RN route you wouldnt stop there soooooo

CRNA vs PA

NP vs PA

when you compare it like that, a few of the above "arguments" in regards to pay, responsibility ect. are invalid

NP school can be part time, PA school cannot.

Not sure how many NPs work in the surgical or critical care environment where you are. Check your state and local hospitals.

PAs practice medicine, often with good autonomy (perhaps not so much in CC medicine), and study in a MD training model. Nurses follow medical orders and practice nursing.

PA school can be VERY intense. An experience which easily could amount to 70 hours a week, especially when moving into clinic. Throughout the entire clinical/didactic experience I spent on avg (inc weekends) about 3+ hours a day studying outside of class.

Good Luck !

The OP said in one post that she was interested (if going the PA route) in ER, derm, or surgery. If you are a single mom, and concerned with being with your kids, ER and surgery have tough hours (long days, holidays, nights, weekends, call, etc). Derm may offer great hrs, but I imagine its a tough job to get and dominated by NP's in some areas.

NP's/PA's who work in family medicine, or other office based practices, may have hrs better suited for family life.

Just understand that a large part of your lifestyle will depend on what area of medicine you are interested in practicing.

picupnp... did not compare adn to np ...compared it to msn or bsn in similar depts ICU MICU ect.. ,,i would assume that NP pays far more than any RN job in the house. i did the RN thing almost 20 years, chose to do the PA route no regrets, never looked back, love it.

So you were a RN first then went on to PA school?

Although I would never have considered becoming a nurse, if I ever did, it would be with the ultimate goal of going forward and becoming a Nurse Anesthetist.

This career is a very good job with great pay IMO.

I have been thinking about this too. I think what it comes down to, is whether I would like to become a PA, NP, or CRNA and how much time and money I would want to invest. Basically, I want to do something I will never get tired of doing and be able to provide for my children since I am a single parent right now.

Archived