2nd degree..torn between PA and Nursing

yes, was an RN for 20 years, CEN, CCRN, Flight Nurse, Paramedic, loved it then, paid the bills ect... tired of nursing, was more impressed with the PAs i had worked with than with the NPs i knew. NOTHING PERSONAL to the NPs, just me. never regretted a second of the change to PA. easy to become trapped in good pay, i did the travel/agency route for 8 years and it was great and not so great as well. everyone has to be somewhere, and i choose to be here. 6 years in a critical access ER in the country as a "solo" provider. love it. not for everyone but it is for me. good luck in your deliberations.

I am a RN. My plan was to go to PA school off the bat. Because I had been out of school for so long, the advisor at the medical school told me I would have to retake all my prereqs. They told me to get the RN and THEN apply to the PA school... would be a lot easier for me to get in then. Well I am a RN now, and totally hate it. :( I am in the process now of calling the med school back to see if I can get into the PA program now.

You really have to look at yourself... are you the CARE or the CURE?? RN's care- MD's (PA's) cure. I am more of the "curing" type and not the 'wipe the bottom, pass the pepsi, give me a tissue type.' And believe me, that is what you will be doing as an RN! Good luck!!

PS- and I too wanted the ICU or ER first off as an RN- NO- they will NOT HIRE new RN's into these job positions. You will have a job mostlikely in a general medical floor and it's the pitts.

Archived