Ask a PA Admissions Director

@paadmissions Thank you for helping so many of us nervous PA applicants!

I'm currently finishing up my 2nd year of undergrad but I will be taking classes all summer and all next year so that I can graduate in 3 years with my BS in Physiology/Neuroscience. I have a 3.92 GPA and plan on applying to California schools, almost all of which do not require the GRE. However, because I have been taking such a heavy course load and have been focusing on maintaining a high GPA, I have very few extracurriculars or HCE. I will begin volunteering in the burn unit of a local hospital soon and will likely finish around 200 hours by the time I graduate. I am in a few clubs but have no major leadership roles and I have done minimal non-healthcare related volunteering. I definitely plan on taking a full year off after graduation to work as a CNA, shadow a few doctors and PAs, and hopefully get more volunteering in before applying.

A few questions regarding all of this:

How do admissions committees view the timing of when applicants complete various activities? For example, does it look worse to not be multitasking and volunteering/working and such while going to school?

Is finishing undergrad early looked at any differently by committees, either positively or negatively?

Thank you in advance!!!!

@paadmissions

My goal is to be accepted to a physician assistant program. This is my dream and I am struggling to find the right path for me to become a more competitive applicant. I applied the 2015-2016 cycle to programs that do not have any GPA requirement and prefer a lot of healthcare experience. I was rejected by all 11 programs and I was not interviewed at any of them. I contacted each program and each program encouraged my application because I met their qualifications. I am 30 years old and I really did not do well in my undergraduate education and it's haunting me now for PA school applications. When I applied to schools last year they calculated my overall GPA at 2.71 and overall science at 2.61. I realize this is not a competitive stat for schools but my post bacc GPA is a 3.2 so I at least show improvement since I graduated. I have taken and re-taken prerequisites at a community college to boost my GPA since 2012.

I have been working in healthcare ever since I graduated in 2008. I was an EMT on a private ambulance for one year, an EMT in the emergency room for one year, one year working in research and diagnostics for an autoimmune biotechnology company, three years working with schizophrenia patients (interviewing them to confirm diagnosis, blood draws, cognitive exams) for research at UCSD and I currently work at the University of Chicago coordinating clinical trials. I work primarily in ophthalmology where I am in constant communication with each study patient's providers to inform them of the trial, I also have been published in urology, coordinating and administering a muliticenter outcomes study in the pediatric population.

At this point I understand that I need to prove to admissions that I can handle a rigorous curriculum. I have talked to several admissions personnel at the programs I applied to for assistance. Some have been helpful with what I can do to improve my application. I plan to enroll as a full time student at a 4 year institution to increase my overall and science GPAs to a 3.0. It will take me at least a full year to do this and that's as high as my GPA will get me if I maintain a 4.0 GPA. I volunteer at a free clinic in the lab as a phlebotomist, drawing blood, giving vaccines and sending labs. I plan on continuing to volunteer here while taking coursework full time. I may stay part time working at my current position but some schools have recommended going back to EMT or as a scribe. Do you think this will help since I have not been an EMT since 2009?

In a year from now, if I have a 3.0 GPA for cumulative and science GPAs and apply to CASPA to various programs, will I stand a chance at admission anywhere with students who have much higher GPAs? I have been told by my undergraduate pre-PA adviser to essentially give up and if I want to remain in healthcare, try something like respiratory therapy or ophthalmic technician as a career. I am pretty stubborn when it comes to my passions. I cannot see myself in any other career in the future. I will be a physician assistant. Do you have any advice for me?

I appreciate any assistance. I understand I am not a standard applicant and there is no "right" path for me but I want to be sure I'm on the right track.

Thank you!

@roo thank you for your questions and sorry for the delay. Our program is not as well-known as some of the other programs in our state like Duke and Wake Forest...so I typically fight for the little guy ;). However, we are an established program (embarking on our 20th year) and there's a lot to be said about programs that have been around for a while-reputation, established rotation sites, employment connections, etc.  New programs are popping up everywhere and the accreditation "question" is always a risk/gamble applicants take when committing to a program. If they receive provisional accreditation, I'm pretty confident that a lot of work and assessment has gone into developing a solid program thus far. There are differences in programs, whether new or established, and I always recommend applicants go with the program that they feel is the best fit for them....even it is a new program. I would check out their PANCE performance and attrition rates if you're able to. If they publish graduate placement, you may want to review those stats as well. 

Our program's highlight is also cadaver dissection. We too have an actual lab that PA students use twice a week. If you ask our students and alumni, the real cadaver experience is irreplaceable and an invaluable experience.  

Sounds like you have a big decision to make and I wish you well. Go with your gut and where you feel most comfortable. Some times the little guys can surprise you ;)

Hello,

I am sure you have answered this question multiple times in the past but I will ask again. Does the PA school you go to matter? I have admission offers from two programs. One is a relatively unknown school in another state that is one year old that starts very soon and one in in-state that would be a first year program at a widely known school that currently has physical therapy and dental programs. The in-state won't find out if they have their accreditation until Sept 2016 and won't start until the new year. I am eager to get started on my PA journey but am willing to wait until January if going to a better known school would be in my best interest. I currently live where I have family and friends to support me but am willing to move to a few states away without either if it truly doesn't matter where you go as long as the school is accredited. If the school matters a lot, I was also admitted to a top tier FNP program (not currently an RN) but would become one and an FNP in 3 years time. Would you suggest I do that instead?

More info: The rotations at the 1yr old school are still being set up as their first cohort will begin them in the coming months. The rotations at the school in-state are still being set up but they already have agreements with a couple of big medical groups. The out of state PA program has a cadaver guided dissection anatomy course vs. the in-state program intends to use models and computers to teach anatomy with a few visits to a lab with prosections. Does that matter?

I have been told I have no bad decision, do you agree?

@alobalbo Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. I think your breadth of work is good, but keep in mind not all programs accept shadowing. I'm assuming the programs you're applying to do not require the GRE? Have you sought feedback as to why no interviews were extended? I would imagine that your grades are very competitive with programs and am curious to see if the programs did not have the ability to interview all qualified applicants, which unfortunately happens every cycle. In regards to your question about LORs, I think it would be ok to have the physician who knows you very well write that letter. If you've only known the PA a short while it makes sense to go with who knows you best. I would limit the interactions with the admissions officers/reps to what you've already done. I don't think it's overkill, but any thing more may be. 

Hi @paadmissions - thank you for the time you put in to helping on this forum, I enjoy reading your feedback and advice!  Here is my info, this will be my 3rd year applying:

cGPA: 3.6

sGPA: 3.9

Bachelor degree in marketing

PA shadowing: 90 hours

hands on experience:

2000 hours in a women's clinic as clinic assistant (MA duties)

2500 hours as a medic in a free clinic (volunteer)

300 hours medical assistant (new job, work with MDs and PAs)

300 hours as a medical scribe in ED (new job, scribe for MDs)

additional volunteer exp:10 years as a baseball coach for mentally/physically disabled kids

GRE: not planning on taking

I am geographically limited because of my stepdaughter so I am applying to 4 schools here in CA within driving distance. I want to do everything I can to get into school, but I also have to support my family so I can't do either MA or scribing full time (I work in a restaurant on weekends to pay the bills and help co-parent my step daughter during the week). Is there somewhere I should be concentrating for hours (scribe vs MA), or is a breadth of experience ok? Is a letter of rec from a PA that I have known just a couple months more favorable than an MD I've worked with for years? Is there anywhere you see I can try to improve to give me an edge?  I applied to 3 schools last year and didn't get an interview, adding in Stanford this year which is a long shot. 

Also, I contacted the schools that I applied to via email to show my interest, introduced myself at a state conference to directors of admissions if I met them, and followed up with a letter of interest via snail mail.  Is this overkill? I want them to know I'm interested but don't want to go overboard. It feels like dating and I don't know the rules!

Thank you for your time and insight!!!

@abermude Thank you for your question. That's a tough question to answer. Our program would combine your highest V & Q score for the highest total possible. Your first scores are a little more balanced, but you improved quite a bit on he Verbal th e second go around.You may want to reach out to the programs that interest you and see if they have a preference on you submitting 2 sets of scores. I'm not sure how programs view scores that may have decreased slightly the second time. I don't think it's as detrimental as you may think, but see if you can get an answer from those programs. Hope this helps!

Hello, @paadmissions! Thank you so very much for helping us out and answering all our questions! 

I am planning on applying to this upcoming cycle for PA School but I have a dilemma with which GRE scores I should use. The first time I took the GRE I got Verbal: 151 Quant: 150 and Writing: 4.0. The second time I got Verbal: 156 Quant: 149 and Writing: 3.5 

I am confused because the first scores are more generally balanced but on the second scores I did fairly better on my verbal but dropped the ball on the writing portion. Now, I am not sure which scores would look better for PA programs. If you could give me any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

@rettikins Thank you for your questions. If you explain in your personal statement why you took the courses at the cc level, there is reason that can be seen and understood by the admissions committee..in my opinion, it won't be viewed as "taking the easier route" for example. I think since you have a strong undergrad performance it will not hurt your application too much in comparison to an applicant who may have very low undergrad scores and low GRE scores. It's important to check with the programs that interest you to see if your previous hours will count towards the healthcare requirements. We have counted those type of hours before for applicants, but not all programs are the same, unfortunately. Based on your self-reported GPAs and possible GRE performance, I would imagine that you're competitive for most programs from an academic standpoint. Again, check up on the hours to be certain. I hope this helps!

@paadmissions

I am actually in the process of a career change and left my position as a medical device sales rep last month so that I could focus my efforts towards acquiring the necessary patient contact hours for admission into PA school. 

I graduated with a degree in Management from Elon University back in 2012 with a 3.51gpa. However, since I have been working full-time, I have been taking the necessary science prerequisites at a local community college at night. I have a few left to complete this summer, but I anticipate finishing my science prereqs with a ~3.75gpa. 

You mentioned back in 2012 that your program looks negatively upon science courses taken at community colleges and would prefer that they are completed at a four year institution... what about someone who is going through a career change who's undergraduate studies did not include science coursework?

I recently got certified as an LNA and hope to have ~350 hours at the time of application this August, but I hope that programs will take into consideration my prior work experience. While it was a sales role, I would go to patients' homes to fit them with postoperative devices that were prescribed by their provider. There is no observed stimulus for the treatment, so taking the time to educate the patient on the technology was critically important. Furthermore, I would review all op reports/clinical notes to note any comorbidities that might impact their ability to heal. I was in this role for 2 years and fit over 500 patients at their respective homes, spending roughly 45min-1hr with each patient.

I have shadowed a PA in the ER for 30 hours, a PA in the ICU for 60 hours, and I am familiar with the role of primary care given that my dad is an internist practicing family medicine... but perhaps it might still behoove me to shadow a PA PCP.

I am taking the GRE's next month and anticipate that my scores will be fine - I scored in the 75th % on the practice GRE exam without preparation. 

Recommendations will come from a PA, my med sales VP who was direct supervisor, and a prof.

So my Q's are:

* How bad is it that I took evening courses at a community college while working full-time to fulfill the science prereqs?

* Do you think that my prior work experience might be considered for patient contact hours?

* Will my application be competitive?

I cannot thank you enough for your help and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Also, I know that applying in August hurts my chances (rolling admissions), but I am taking bio2, org chem, and micro this summer and they do not end until 8/5. 

Best,

Rettikins

@dancingchachafruit. Thank you for your questions. Your explanation as to why you took longer to complete your bachelor's degree should be explained briefly in your personal statement. If you did it for a financial aid reasoning, I completely understand and actually encourage applicants to try and fit courses in during undergrad for that reason. However, you want to make sure that you challenged yourself as much as possible during undergrad by taking heavy course loads and not just taking classes sporadically and/or alongside other courses. Hopefully this makes sense! 

Is it see as negative if you take 5-6 years in finishing your bachelors degree, because you wanted to take more classes?

@meaganp22 Thanks for your question. I would assume most programs would require a resubmission of GRE scores- we do.  A lot of programs are requiring GRE scores to be verified via CASPA. Hope this helps!

@paadmissions I had a question regarding the reapplication process. I was just wondering if I apply to the same schools a second time, will I need to resubmit my GRE scores?

@paadmissions I had a question regarding the reapplication process. I was just wondering if I apply to the same schools a second time, will I need to resubmit my GRE scores?

@woodlingi Thank you for your questions. If you're currently participating in a few clubs on campus, that may be enough to demonstrate your involvement on campus, but your drive to succeed academically. It's discouraging to see applicants who are more involved outside of the classroom that in their actual work. There needs to be a good balance of both. I do commend your decision to take a gap year off after you graduate to gain clinical experience. It's important you have a good number of hours under your belt (exceeding requirements) when you apply to the programs that interest you. I hope this is helpful. 

I'm currently finishing up my 2nd year of undergrad but I will be taking classes all summer and all next year so that I can graduate in 3 years with my BS in Physiology/Neuroscience. I have a 3.92 GPA and plan on applying to California schools, almost all of which do not require the GRE. However, because I have been taking such a heavy course load and have been focusing on maintaining a high GPA, I have very few extracurriculars or HCE. I will begin volunteering in the burn unit of a local hospital soon and will likely finish around 200 hours by the time I graduate. I am in a few clubs but have no major leadership roles and I have done minimal non-healthcare related volunteering. I definitely plan on taking a full year off after graduation to work as a CNA, shadow a few doctors and PAs, and hopefully get more volunteering in before applying.

How do admissions committees view the timing of when applicants complete various activities? For example, does it look worse to not be multitasking and volunteering/working and such while going to school?

Is finishing undergrad early looked at any differently by committees, either positively or negatively?

Thank you in advance!!!!

@woodlingi Also, finishing college early is not a bad thing if you're taking time off afterwards to gain that professional experience. 

Thank you in advance!!!!

@lbellevi Thank you for your questions. One way to prove yourself capable of handling a PA curriculum is a post-bacc program or a master's program in a science related field (i.e. Anatomy, Biology, Physiology, Genetics). If your post bacc work that you've currently completed is a 3.2, it's probably not competitive with many programs based on the averages I've seen. Graduate work or  post bacc program are intense curriculum that can show your potential. If you're going to spend a year bringing up undergrad grades, most post bacc programs are the same in length and would probably be more worth your time, preparation, and money, if accepted. I hope this is helpful. 

@paadmissions

My goal is to be accepted to a physician assistant program. This is my dream and I am struggling to find the right path for me to become a more competitive applicant. I applied the 2015-2016 cycle to programs that do not have any GPA requirement and prefer a lot of healthcare experience. I was rejected by all 11 programs and I was not interviewed at any of them. I contacted each program and each program encouraged my application because I met their qualifications. I am 30 years old and I really did not do well in my undergraduate education and it's haunting me now for PA school applications. When I applied to schools last year they calculated my overall GPA at 2.71 and overall science at 2.61. I realize this is not a competitive stat for schools but my post bacc GPA is a 3.2 so I at least show improvement since I graduated. I have taken and re-taken prerequisites at a community college to boost my GPA since 2012.

I have been working in healthcare ever since I graduated in 2008. I was an EMT on a private ambulance for one year, an EMT in the emergency room for one year, one year working in research and diagnostics for an autoimmune biotechnology company, three years working with schizophrenia patients (interviewing them to confirm diagnosis, blood draws, cognitive exams) for research at UCSD and I currently work at the University of Chicago coordinating clinical trials. I work primarily in ophthalmology where I am in constant communication with each study patient's providers to inform them of the trial, I also have been published in urology, coordinating and administering a muliticenter outcomes study in the pediatric population.

At this point I understand that I need to prove to admissions that I can handle a rigorous curriculum. I have talked to several admissions personnel at the programs I applied to for assistance. Some have been helpful with what I can do to improve my application. I plan to enroll as a full time student at a 4 year institution to increase my overall and science GPAs to a 3.0. It will take me at least a full year to do this and that's as high as my GPA will get me if I maintain a 4.0 GPA. I volunteer at a free clinic in the lab as a phlebotomist, drawing blood, giving vaccines and sending labs. I plan on continuing to volunteer here while taking coursework full time. I may stay part time working at my current position but some schools have recommended going back to EMT or as a scribe. Do you think this will help since I have not been an EMT since 2009?

In a year from now, if I have a 3.0 GPA for cumulative and science GPAs and apply to CASPA to various programs, will I stand a chance at admission anywhere with students who have much higher GPAs? I have been told by my undergraduate pre-PA adviser to essentially give up and if I want to remain in healthcare, try something like respiratory therapy or ophthalmic technician as a career. I am pretty stubborn when it comes to my passions. I cannot see myself in any other career in the future. I will be a physician assistant. Do you have any advice for me?

I appreciate any assistance. I understand I am not a standard applicant and there is no "right" path for me but I want to be sure I'm on the right track.

Thank you!

Hi! I have two questions. Do PA admissions programs expect to see students have a heavy science course load for several semesters? I know medical schools advise post-bacs to take at least three courses at the same time as an indicator of ability to manage this. As a post-bac I am considering leaving my job for full time school for a year, but if it is acceptable to admissions committees to take 2 courses per semester, I might reconsider for financial reasons. 

I also would like to know if my clinical experience as a social worker (LMSW) constitutes HCE for your program. Some programs accept this, while others do not. 

Thanks very much!

Hello and thank you for all of your wonderful help!

I plan on applying to a few schools that require a letter of rec from a professor but I will be taking around 1-2 years off after I graduate (to get HCE) before even applying. I plan on asking a professor from my current university to write me a letter but I'm concerned that because it will have been at least a full year before I apply, the professor may forget me by the time CASPA sends them the email asking for my letter. Of course ideally they would write it now while they still remember me, but I'm worried that they may disregard the email by then or be less willing to help me by that point. 

I will need to complete some prerequisites at a community college during that year or two off so I could potentially get a letter from a professor of one of those classes. My question is do adcomms care whether the letter is from a university professor or a CC professor? I would hope that as long as the letter is of quality and can truly tell them about my academic abilities that it wouldn't matter. Will they view it as being an inaccurate portrayal of my academic abilities since it was technically from an "easier" class? 

@nds1111 Thank you for your question. I would have to say that I agree with the med school recommendation that post bacc students should challenge themselves by taking as many courses as possible. If you can only take two courses due to financial reasons, it is better than just taking 1 course at a time, but your end result in those courses should be high scores. I hope this helps!

Hi! I have two questions. Do PA admissions programs expect to see students have a heavy science course load for several semesters? I know medical schools advise post-bacs to take at least three courses at the same time as an indicator of ability to manage this. As a post-bac I am considering leaving my job for full time school for a year, but if it is acceptable to admissions committees to take 2 courses per semester, I might reconsider for financial reasons. 

I also would like to know if my clinical experience as a social worker (LMSW) constitutes HCE for your program. Some programs accept this, while others do not. 

Thanks very much!

@LSUhopeful. Thank you for your questions. If you were to apply to our program, I would also need to evaluate your performance in Org 1 and Biochemistry. I would probably encourage a retake in at least Org 2 to bring that chemistry GPA up. My recommendation is to have at least a 3.2 or higher in biology prereqs and chemistry prereqs. Not all programs require as many chemistries as we do, but it may be something a committee "unofficially" considers when reviewing your application. Some programs may feel more relaxed about cc classes than we do. However, your GRE score shows strong academic potential and may help if you do continue with the cc route. Finally, in your personal statement, I would call yourself out the way that you have here saying that you overextended yourself in undergrad, and as a result, your grades suffered. I think that would help your case. I hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions Director, 

Should I apply this year? What should I do to strengthen?

FIRST TIME APPLICANT

Graduated from a top private research university with a degree in Neuroscience 

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.49

Cumulative Undergrad sGPA: 3.28

GRE: Q160, V160, 5

I have C's in: 

Gen Chem I 

Gen Chem II

Phys II 

Orgo II

Statistics 

My C's are undoubtedly due to my lack of focus. My resume/CV is too busy - I basically do too many things (volunteering, political advocacy, work, student organizations) and let my difficult sciences fall through the cracks in undergrad. But I have the awards and the honors to prove my dedication to my extracurriculars! ...Just regretting it now since my GPA is on the lower side. Dangit 19 year old me! 

My biology and anatomy, even biochemistry, are very strong: 3.8.

I have since narrowed my focus since I realized I was too invested in my extracurriculars in undergrad. Currently employed as ER Tech, and volunteering. Importantly, I took post-bacc courses at a community college (can't afford university, and was on scholarship at my private 4 year) while working full time (4.0 post bacc). 

80 PA shadowing hours: emergency, orthopedics, cardiothoracic, gastrointestinal, primary care

20 MD shadowing hours: emergency, hospitalist, GI, cardiothoracic surgeon

2000 HCE hours as an ER Tech, nurse's aide, etc.  

4000 volunteering hours, with awards, honors, etc. 

excellent leadership experiences, with awards, distinctions, honors, etc.

at least part-time work experiences since 16, with no breaks

450 hours Neuroscience research 

published author 

speak 4 languages 

3 LORs from PA, professor who published me, and a nurse that I work with 

I also am a great writer and communicator, so I think my personal statement is at least a little above average. 

What do you think of my application? 

Also, you've said before that CC post-bacc science is looked down upon. I couldn't and still can't afford to go to a university, however. Should I mention this in my personal statement or maybe the secondary forms? Let me know. 

Thank you in advance. 

@woodlingj Thanks for your question. If the university professor is someone who has taught you in a couple of classes and has a fairly good grasp of your potential, I would encourage you to stay in touch with this person. Explain to them now your plans and that you'll be contacting them in the future for a reference. Always have a backup plan and get to know the cc instructors well. You may have to rely on them if the university person doesn't come through. We would prefer to see an instructor who has taught you in more than one class and/or who knows you. You may find that just one course at the cc doesn't really compare to someone who has known you longer and watched your academic progression. I hope this helps!

Hello and thank you for all of your wonderful help!

I plan on applying to a few schools that require a letter of rec from a professor but I will be taking around 1-2 years off after I graduate (to get HCE) before even applying. I plan on asking a professor from my current university to write me a letter but I'm concerned that because it will have been at least a full year before I apply, the professor may forget me by the time CASPA sends them the email asking for my letter. Of course ideally they would write it now while they still remember me, but I'm worried that they may disregard the email by then or be less willing to help me by that point. 

I will need to complete some prerequisites at a community college during that year or two off so I could potentially get a letter from a professor of one of those classes. My question is do adcomms care whether the letter is from a university professor or a CC professor? I would hope that as long as the letter is of quality and can truly tell them about my academic abilities that it wouldn't matter. Will they view it as being an inaccurate portrayal of my academic abilities since it was technically from an "easier" class? 

Thanks very much!

@nds1111 Sorry, I overlooked your last question. We would count your LMSW hours, but as you mentioned, not all programs do.

Thanks very much!

Hi. I'm a high school senior going into university with the intention of eventually applying to pa school after undergrad. My question is in regards to the specific major I should pursue for my bachelors. I've heard that it does not really matter what you major in as long as it is still in some way relevant to ones desire to become a PA. Can anyone list some recommendations for potential majors? I'm having trouble finding anything interesting. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk