Ask a PA Admissions Director

@Id11e Thank you for your questions. The answer to when you should submit will vary from program to program. For our program, we would be fine with you submitting in the summer to allow for your application to be more competitive. Usually if your application is verified by August, it's a good timeline in my opinion. However, if the programs you're applying to have an earlier deadline (i.e. sometime in the fall) you may need to submit earlier and then update your coursework after you submit. We allow applicants to submit official transcripts to update their files once their application has been submitted. However, I'm not sure if all programs allow the same updates. I think you'll be ok with submitting in the summer, but it wouldn't hurt to touch base with the programs that interest you to make sure that advice is accurate. Hope this helps!

Good afternoon @paadmissions! I want to first thank you for all of the time you have dedicated to this forum. I have been following your thread for quite a while now and it has helped answer many of my questions. With that being said, I would like to get your opinion on whether I should apply as soon as the '16-'17 CASPA cycle opens or hold off for a month or two to improve my statistics. I understand the importance of applying early but I also do not want to be dismissed early on as I am continuing to improve my application. 

When CASPA opens at the end of April, I will have completed my bachelors with a 3.38 cgpa, 3.19 sgpa, around 2100 hours as an ER tech and 200 as an ER scribe. I have an upward trend in my gpa and I plan on taking more courses over summer to continue to improve my gpa. At the end of the first summer term (June  17), I will have completed two more science courses (biochem and cell structure and function). Receiving A's in these courses would bring my cgpa up to 3.41 and sgpa to 3.28. Grades for the term will not post until around June 22 and I understand it takes CASPA a few weeks to receive the transcripts and verify grades which would put me at submitting sometime early July. Based on this information would you recommend I apply in April when my grades post for this semester or wait until the first Summer term is completed? 

Additionally, I recently took the GRE with little to no studying scoring 155V/152Q/3.5W. Would you recommend retaking before the next application cycle begins? Thank you in advance for your help.

@iwanntobeaPA Thank you for questions. I would actually encourage you to put that on your application. If you're asked about it in an interview, you have a valid reason as to why you never worked as an EMT. Hope this helps.

Hello @paadmissions

I have worked for 2 years as a ED scribe to gain healthcare experience.  I also have an EMT certification that I actually have never used (due to inability to find a squad that could fit into my schedule with school, work, sports etc).  Should I leave this EMT certification out of my CASPA application certifications since I have never worked on a squad or put it on my application to diversify my medical background.

Thank you for all your help to past and future PAs!

Hi, I am currently a Junior at The University of Delaware studying Medical Laboratory Science with the hopes of eventually going to PA school.  My GPA is currently a 3.099 and this is supposed to be the hardest semester as I am taking class like Hematology, Med Micro, Clinical Chemistry, Blood Banking, all of which have major labs associated with them.  I think I have good experience, I am an EMT, I work at the health center, and I also work as a medical assistant in a neurology office.  Ideally I would take a gap year, work in the lab, and then apply.  However, there are people applying with GPA's of 3.5-3.7 to whom I am no competition.  

What schools should I be looking at that would take me?  I am from NJ and ideally I'd stay within the tristate area.  

Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere if my GPA goes down anymore considering my classes are only getting more 

intense?  

Hello!

I am hoping you could help give me some advice on increasing my chances of getting into a PA program.

Graduated with a B.S in Exercise Science, 2014

Age- 23

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (3.1 to CASPA)

CASPA sgpa (2.99)

due to a dropped grade of a D in my first A&P that i retook later and got a B.

last 40 undergrad credits- 3.48

post grad GPA- Have since taken Organic Chemistry (final grade B) and Microbiology (final grade A) so CASPA sGPA will hopefully go up.

GRE: 149 Q

149 V

4 in writing

(took without studying to get an idea of where I stood)

Experience:

Pediatric Medical Assistant (paid)- 3,000 hrs

Physical Therapist Aid (unpaid) - 450 hrs

Strength and Wellness Intern (unpaid) - 150 hrs

Shadowing:

Shadowing experience in Urogynecology (25 hours)

Shadowing experience in Orthopedics (100 hours)

Shadowing experience in Dermatology (8 hours)

Extras:

Successful completion of Medical Terminology course

leadership position as a Panhellenic Counselor, 2013 Pi Chi

Phi Mu Fraternity, 2010-2014

Exercise Science Club

Volunteer for Children’s Hospital- Oncology Floor, 2010-2014

Volunteer Coordinator for Carolina/Clemson Blood Drive, 2012

Volunteer for LifeChoice Hospice, 2016

LOR: 1 NP, 2 Physicians

I applied last round and got an interview to 1 out of the 6 schools I applied to, and I am currently on the wait list for that program. I plan on studying for the GRE and retaking it in addition to retaking my 1st General Chemistry (got a C in undergrad)

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I will be applying to PA school...again. My stats are..

cGPA undergrad- 3.14

sGPA undergrade- 2.8

I was in a whole bunch of clubs in undergrad and did volunteering in an ER too (about 136 hours)

I took a year after graduation to take courses that had poor grades in over and other requirements for pa school, like psych and sociology courses. I decided to pursue a Master in Health Science and started it in may 2015.

my master current info is...

Master cGPA-3.9

Master sGPA- 3.8 

My GRE's are- applied with these this cycle

verbal -150 (46%)

Quant- 143 (15%)

writing- 4.0 (56%)

I appleid this cycle (2015-2016) and recieved one interview, pretty much at my dream type of school. I had applied the cycle before (with the cgpa of 3.1 and science gpa of 2.8) and i did not recieve any interview invites and I wasn't really expecting any because of my gpa at the time and I was still taking some prereqs, so I wasnt shocked. I applied this time and I had already started my masters and two of my summer courses counted towards my caspa gpa. So my stats then became when my caspa was verified at the end of august 2015.

cGPA- 3.2

sGPA- 2.9 

I made sure I sent in my transcript after each semester to the schools so that they could see my grades for each of my graduate courses as I completed them. I got the interview for my dream program around december and I interviewed in February. I thought the interview went pretty well. It was a long day, from 8am to 4pm. there were 5 individual interviews and 2 groups ones. I thought I stood out and I made a point to ask good questions and talk to facutly and current students. The only thing that i felt couldve been better was my essay but I didnt think it was horrible. My interviews for that school felt overall pretty great and I felt pretty confident afterwards. However, I didnt get accepted. I just figured that the other students did better then me and thats why I didnt get in, but i am thinking about calling them and asking for feedback. is that a good idea or is that asking for too much? Now that i havent gotten into the one program I really liked and got a interview with, im pretty bummed and I will have to apply again. I will be done with my masters in May and i was going to submit my caspa app right when class grades are in so that all my courses will factor into my gpa and stuff. Also, i was going to take a precalc course since some programs that I like require it. 

My question really is whether I should apply after my classes are done or just submit it as early an possible? Also, im worried about what I should write in my caspa essay, how much should I change? I really liked my essay this time around and I dont really know how to go about it now. Ive invested so much time, money, and energy into fullfilling my dream of becoming a PA and seems like when ever I take one step forward I take 2 steps back. I would be lying if I said that Im not getting dishearted. This will be my THIRD time applying. I just sucks that even after an interview I didnt get in. 

I am planning on taking the GRE in June or July and also am trying to become a tech in the ER since I am currently a scribe there and I have about 3000 hours of scribing. From my research i found that many pa programs now want PAID PATIENT CARE experience or just patient care experience, which is why im going for the tech position. I just dont know if thats enough change in application for programs to consider me for an interview. I dont even know what else I would change if i had to. I've taken classes over, taken extra classes, about to finish up my masters, HCE etc. The only things that I feel like can change are my GRE, HCE, and adding in that precalc class. Im also tight on money so I cant keep on taking classes too. So, again, my plan is to take the GRE over in june, take precalculus over the summer, become ER tech, write a new essay, and apply by end of May.  Is that a good plan? do you recommend anything else to me, especially to stand out as an applicant and show how ive improved?

Im sorry for my rant, im just so overwhelmed and worried about my future and I feel like nothing i do is really good enough. But I really want this and I cant imagine myself in a career that is not medicine. Please let me know what you think and thank you so much!

Hello,

I begin applying to schools in May and I’m hoping to start interviewing this fall for winter/spring 2017 admission. Judging by my stats below, what actions can I take between April and October that would significantly increase my chances of acceptance? 

Undergrad:

Western Kentucky University

Major: 

Biology

cGPA: (3.85 the last 125 hours)

sGPA: 

GRE: (311)

160 V; 151 Q; 3.5 AW

Direct Patient Care: (1,461)

117 ER volunteer

336 Volunteer optometrist tech for mission trip

1,008 Volunteer for developmentally disabled

Healthcare Experience: (8,300)

8,300 Massage Therapy

Community Service: (57)

6 5K Events

36 Soup Kitchen

15 Developing electron microscopy program for local comm college

Shadowing: (17 PA; 23 MD)

12 PA in Px Mgmt

5 PA in Cardiology

3 MD in Px Mgmt

20 MD in ER

Research: (195)

50 Effects of caffeine on PKD - Volunteer and 2 conference presentations

35 Evolution of PKD genes - Volunteer

20 DAXX mutation and oncogenesis - Volunteer and 1 conference presentation

50 Inhibition of cystogenesis in PKD cell lines using curcumin and piperine - Grant recipient, researcher and 1 conference presentation

40 Transgenic basil for production of the anti-cancerous compound eugenol - Research assistant

Leadership Experience:

Own/run business for >5 years

VP of Fundraising for comm college honors society

LOR:

2 MDs & a Biology professor

@cbarna Thank you for your question. Many programs recommend/require at least a 3.0 overall GPA to even be considered. I would recommend that you research the programs that interest you the most and either contact their admissions person or visit to get an idea of how competitive you are. You may find that you'll need to retake some classes to boost that GPA to be competitive or you may find that you don't have to retake anything and you're fine. A competitive applicant for our program usually is within a GPA range of 3.4-3.6. Other factors that will probably be considered by many programs is the GRE, clinical experience, and performance in the prerequisites. Hope this helps!

Hi, I am currently a Junior at The University of Delaware studying Medical Laboratory Science with the hopes of eventually going to PA school.  My GPA is currently a 3.099 and this is supposed to be the hardest semester as I am taking class like Hematology, Med Micro, Clinical Chemistry, Blood Banking, all of which have major labs associated with them.  I think I have good experience, I am an EMT, I work at the health center, and I also work as a medical assistant in a neurology office.  Ideally I would take a gap year, work in the lab, and then apply.  However, there are people applying with GPA's of 3.5-3.7 to whom I am no competition.  

What schools should I be looking at that would take me?  I am from NJ and ideally I'd stay within the tristate area.  

Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere if my GPA goes down anymore considering my classes are only getting more 

intense?  

@nike123! Thank you for you questions. I would encourage you to seek feedback from the programs that did not grant you an interview to see what you need to do to make you a more competitive applicant. I would assume a stronger performance in your sciences and maybe an increase in your GRE will help you become more competitive academically (from our program's standpoint). I think your healthcare experience is very competitive and is a strong point of your application. Hope this helps some.

Hello!

I am hoping you could help give me some advice on increasing my chances of getting into a PA program.

Graduated with a B.S in Exercise Science, 2014

Age- 23

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (3.1 to CASPA)

CASPA sgpa (2.99)

due to a dropped grade of a D in my first A&P that i retook later and got a B.

last 40 undergrad credits- 3.48

post grad GPA- Have since taken Organic Chemistry (final grade B) and Microbiology (final grade A) so CASPA sGPA will hopefully go up.

GRE: 149 Q

149 V

4 in writing

(took without studying to get an idea of where I stood)

Experience:

Pediatric Medical Assistant (paid)- 3,000 hrs

Physical Therapist Aid (unpaid) - 450 hrs

Strength and Wellness Intern (unpaid) - 150 hrs

Shadowing:

Shadowing experience in Urogynecology (25 hours)

Shadowing experience in Orthopedics (100 hours)

Shadowing experience in Dermatology (8 hours)

Extras:

Successful completion of Medical Terminology course

leadership position as a Panhellenic Counselor, 2013 Pi Chi

Phi Mu Fraternity, 2010-2014

Exercise Science Club

Volunteer for Children’s Hospital- Oncology Floor, 2010-2014

Volunteer Coordinator for Carolina/Clemson Blood Drive, 2012

Volunteer for LifeChoice Hospice, 2016

LOR: 1 NP, 2 Physicians

I applied last round and got an interview to 1 out of the 6 schools I applied to, and I am currently on the wait list for that program. I plan on studying for the GRE and retaking it in addition to retaking my 1st General Chemistry (got a C in undergrad)

Thank you!

@msmspa Thank you for your questions and I'm sorry to hear about your interview. Did you seek feedback from the program regarding their decision? Some programs may give feedback and some don't...it never hurts to ask. Without knowing anything about your interview (from their standpoint), I think you're taking the right steps with your academics and health care experience. If there are significant changes to your application with the new coursework and hours I would encourage you to submit early. If there not many changes in your app, maybe even going as far as not applying this cycle to obtain more patient contact would be best to better improve your application.  I would encourage changing your personal statement slightly to talk about what you've done to improve yourself since the last cycle (Academics, interpersonal skills, etc.). This will show some sort of self-reflection. I hope this helps!

Hi,

I will be applying to PA school...again. My stats are..

cGPA undergrad- 3.14

sGPA undergrade- 2.8

I was in a whole bunch of clubs in undergrad and did volunteering in an ER too (about 136 hours)

I took a year after graduation to take courses that had poor grades in over and other requirements for pa school, like psych and sociology courses. I decided to pursue a Master in Health Science and started it in may 2015.

my master current info is...

Master cGPA-3.9

Master sGPA- 3.8 

My GRE's are- applied with these this cycle

verbal -150 (46%)

Quant- 143 (15%)

writing- 4.0 (56%)

I appleid this cycle (2015-2016) and recieved one interview, pretty much at my dream type of school. I had applied the cycle before (with the cgpa of 3.1 and science gpa of 2.8) and i did not recieve any interview invites and I wasn't really expecting any because of my gpa at the time and I was still taking some prereqs, so I wasnt shocked. I applied this time and I had already started my masters and two of my summer courses counted towards my caspa gpa. So my stats then became when my caspa was verified at the end of august 2015.

cGPA- 3.2

sGPA- 2.9 

I made sure I sent in my transcript after each semester to the schools so that they could see my grades for each of my graduate courses as I completed them. I got the interview for my dream program around december and I interviewed in February. I thought the interview went pretty well. It was a long day, from 8am to 4pm. there were 5 individual interviews and 2 groups ones. I thought I stood out and I made a point to ask good questions and talk to facutly and current students. The only thing that i felt couldve been better was my essay but I didnt think it was horrible. My interviews for that school felt overall pretty great and I felt pretty confident afterwards. However, I didnt get accepted. I just figured that the other students did better then me and thats why I didnt get in, but i am thinking about calling them and asking for feedback. is that a good idea or is that asking for too much? Now that i havent gotten into the one program I really liked and got a interview with, im pretty bummed and I will have to apply again. I will be done with my masters in May and i was going to submit my caspa app right when class grades are in so that all my courses will factor into my gpa and stuff. Also, i was going to take a precalc course since some programs that I like require it. 

My question really is whether I should apply after my classes are done or just submit it as early an possible? Also, im worried about what I should write in my caspa essay, how much should I change? I really liked my essay this time around and I dont really know how to go about it now. Ive invested so much time, money, and energy into fullfilling my dream of becoming a PA and seems like when ever I take one step forward I take 2 steps back. I would be lying if I said that Im not getting dishearted. This will be my THIRD time applying. I just sucks that even after an interview I didnt get in. 

I am planning on taking the GRE in June or July and also am trying to become a tech in the ER since I am currently a scribe there and I have about 3000 hours of scribing. From my research i found that many pa programs now want PAID PATIENT CARE experience or just patient care experience, which is why im going for the tech position. I just dont know if thats enough change in application for programs to consider me for an interview. I dont even know what else I would change if i had to. I've taken classes over, taken extra classes, about to finish up my masters, HCE etc. The only things that I feel like can change are my GRE, HCE, and adding in that precalc class. Im also tight on money so I cant keep on taking classes too. So, again, my plan is to take the GRE over in june, take precalculus over the summer, become ER tech, write a new essay, and apply by end of May.  Is that a good plan? do you recommend anything else to me, especially to stand out as an applicant and show how ive improved?

Im sorry for my rant, im just so overwhelmed and worried about my future and I feel like nothing i do is really good enough. But I really want this and I cant imagine myself in a career that is not medicine. Please let me know what you think and thank you so much!

@jcastlen Thank you for your question. The only question I have is the type of experiences you have with your volunteer experiences. If you have direct patient contact with these volunteer experiences your application looks solid from the academic and healthcare standpoint. I know most programs do not count massage therapy as healthcare experience so your volunteering needs to be very strong. Feel free to respond with a description of those if you want. Thanks!

Hello,

I begin applying to schools in May and I’m hoping to start interviewing this fall for winter/spring 2017 admission. Judging by my stats below, what actions can I take between April and October that would significantly increase my chances of acceptance? 

Undergrad:

Western Kentucky University

Major: 

Biology

cGPA: (3.85 the last 125 hours)

sGPA: 

GRE: (311)

160 V; 151 Q; 3.5 AW

117 ER volunteer

336 Volunteer optometrist tech for mission trip

1,008 Volunteer for developmentally disabled

Healthcare Experience: (8,300)

8,300 Massage Therapy

Community Service: (57)

6 5K Events

36 Soup Kitchen

15 Developing electron microscopy program for local comm college

Shadowing: (17 PA; 23 MD)

12 PA in Px Mgmt

5 PA in Cardiology

3 MD in Px Mgmt

20 MD in ER

Research: (195)

50 Effects of caffeine on PKD - Volunteer and 2 conference presentations

35 Evolution of PKD genes - Volunteer

20 DAXX mutation and oncogenesis - Volunteer and 1 conference presentation

50 Inhibition of cystogenesis in PKD cell lines using curcumin and piperine - Grant recipient, researcher and 1 conference presentation

40 Transgenic basil for production of the anti-cancerous compound eugenol - Research assistant

Leadership Experience:

Own/run business for >5 years

VP of Fundraising for comm college honors society

LOR:

2 MDs & a Biology professor

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate you taking out the time to reply :) I tried to contact them several times but I did not get a response, i figured its because they maybe on spring break. I will try again later. My science gpa would become about a 3.0-3.1 and cum gpa would become about a 3.3-3.4 on CASPA, if I apply the coming cycle. This would be about a 0.1-0.2 change in my CASPA gpa's. However, I had been sending my updated transcripts to the schools that I had not heard from through out this cycle, so I dont know how "different" this would look to them. But it would be a jump to the schools who i didnt send updates to (they didnt accept updates or already rejected me). I feel like they will have all of my master course grades available on caspa and will be able to see my quick progression from my terrible undergrad gpa and this may help me get more interviews. do you think that will actually happen, or am I dreaming? Would your program look at it that way? Also, I'm praying that my GRE's are higher when I take them this time around so that would help me as well. I am aiming to start the job as a tech in April, and submit my CASPA app before the end of May. And then take my GRE's in june. Is that early enough for submitting my CASPA, taking the GRE again, etc.?

@msmspa Thank you for your questions and I'm sorry to hear about your interview. Did you seek feedback from the program regarding their decision? Some programs may give feedback and some don't...it never hurts to ask. Without knowing anything about your interview (from their standpoint), I think you're taking the right steps with your academics and health care experience. If there are significant changes to your application with the new coursework and hours I would encourage you to submit early. If there not many changes in your app, maybe even going as far as not applying this cycle to obtain more patient contact would be best to better improve your application.  I would encourage changing your personal statement slightly to talk about what you've done to improve yourself since the last cycle (Academics, interpersonal skills, etc.). This will show some sort of self-reflection. I hope this helps!

@jcastlen Thank you for your question. The only question I have is the type of experiences you have with your volunteer experiences. If you have direct patient contact with these volunteer experiences your application looks solid from the academic and healthcare standpoint. I know most programs do not count massage therapy as healthcare experience so your volunteering needs to be very strong. Feel free to respond with a description of those if you want. Thanks!

Thanks for the response paadmissions! Most of the programs I'll be applying to consider massage therapy as a kind of indirect healthcare experience. I got the impression that it was looked at positively, but not nearly as much as if I had direct patient contact. I'll describe (what I believe to be) my direct patient care volunteer work below.

117 ER volunteer - Clean beds and rooms, restock, assist patients to their cars, and assist nurses with blood draws & supplies 

336 Volunteer optometrist tech for mission trip - Took patient histories and tested visual acuity

1,008 Volunteer for developmentally disabled - Counselor at a camp for patients with intellectual disabilities, most commonly Down syndrome. Most of the responsibilities are similar to that of a CNA and done under the supervision of a nurse - Take vital signs, assist in dispensing and managing medication, assist with personal hygiene & eating, and a lot of acute and post-seizure management

Should I think of any or all of these as direct patient care? Or is it best to put them elsewhere in my application? Again, thank you for getting back with me about my question!

@jcastlen Thanks for the reply. Good to know that the programs you're considering may look positively on massage therapy hours. I would think all of the hours, maybe with the exception of ER volunteer hours, have "countable" patient care. I've heard some programs say that restocking, cleaning beds, etc. are not exactly what they're looking for. In my opinion, I would place those hours under the "related healthcare" section on your application. I would think if a program does count those hours, they would see it regardless of where it's placed in the application. I always encourage you to follow up with the programs that interest you to get their opinions on if your volunteer hours would count. My assumption may not always be accurate for all programs. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response paadmissions! Most of the programs I'll be applying to consider massage therapy as a kind of indirect healthcare experience. I got the impression that it was looked at positively, but not nearly as much as if I had direct patient contact. I'll describe (what I believe to be) my direct patient care volunteer work below.

117 ER volunteer - Clean beds and rooms, restock, assist patients to their cars, and assist nurses with blood draws & supplies 

336 Volunteer optometrist tech for mission trip - Took patient histories and tested visual acuity

1,008 Volunteer for developmentally disabled - Counselor at a camp for patients with intellectual disabilities, most commonly Down syndrome. Most of the responsibilities are similar to that of a CNA and done under the supervision of a nurse - Take vital signs, assist in dispensing and managing medication, assist with personal hygiene & eating, and a lot of acute and post-seizure management

Should I think of any or all of these as direct patient care? Or is it best to put them elsewhere in my application? Again, thank you for getting back with me about my question!

• Upvote 1

Hey guys! I need some insight.

I graduated with a 3.79 as a Bio major, currently taking a year off to work and save up for PA applications. I have about 280 hours of volunteer experience in the hospital where we rotated onto different floors, being able to have some direct patient care (help bathing, walking, discharging, making sure patients are positioned correctly). Aside from that, I have at least 90 hours of PA shadowing. I worked full-time in a clinical lab for half a year but wanted to be in an environment more exposed to patients.

Currently, I am working as a physician's personal assistant (HA! Not quite the "PA" I want to be) but I am able to shadow him when he sees patients and also observe in surgeries with patient's consent.

I am about to take my GRE this upcoming May and hoping to apply this upcoming cycle. However, I am really haunted by the "paid, direct HCE" portion of the application. 

I looked into MA programs, but it's going to hold me back another year just going to school and racking up hours. I also looked into EMT-B, but I'm a 5'1, not even a 100 lbs, and I've heard there is a physical exam that requires me to lift at least 125 lbs.

I really want to apply this upcoming cycle but I am not sure if my other experiences would be valuable enough as they are not as direct as programs want them to be.

Please advise!

Hi, thank you for the information. I have a question about a veteran friend who served four honorable years in the Air Force, then tested positive for marijuana. He was given a bad conduct discharge. He won numerous awards in the Air Force before this happened. That was nine years ago. Since then he has had exemplary work performance in the medical field, a 3.7 GPA through his junior year in college, married with a daughter, home owner, and no criminal offenses ever in the civilian world. Will the discharge automatically disqualify him from getting into PA school? Or is it dependent on the PA program? Thanks

First and foremost, thank you @paadmissions for your time and dedication to this forum. I am planning to apply when applications open next month for the Class of 2019. As a first-time PA applicant, I definitely have a lot of questions and concerns about the process. Like most other PA applicants, my first questions is, “Am I a competitive applicant?”

I graduated in June 2014 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Biological Sciences and a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts in Dance Performance. My cumulative GPA is 3.408 and science GPA 2.9. During my undergrad, I performed in quarterly dance performances, was chair of a non-profit organization on-campus, worked two jobs- as a peer academic advisor and a CA (Community assistant) in off-campus housing, and volunteered in a near-by Emergency Department where I earned 100 volunteer hours. It wasn’t until my Senior year of college that I decided I wanted to pursue a career in medicine rather than dance. It is evident in my transcript that once I made that switch in career goal, my science grades began to improve. Since graduating in 2014, I have been working as a Medical Scribe in a Family Practice. In addition to transcribing Doctor’s notes, I annotate lab results, take patient vitals, administer injections, send prescriptions with Doctor supervision, and assist the doctor during in-office procedures like stitch or staple-removal. I am also beginning to shadow a group of Physician’s Assistants in an orthopedic urgent care facility twice a week, and will be taking a Microbiology course and lab at a local community college beginning end of May. I am currently researching and applying for medical service trips, and hope to go on one in September 2016. I have not taken the GRE. Many schools I am interested in state they do not require the GRE. If it is not required, can a GRE score still be considered or contribute to your application as a whole? So to re-cap, am I a competitive applicant and does the GRE contribute to one’s application if it’s not required? 

Thank you, and I’m looking forward to your response!

Unfortunately, I was not accepted in to PA schools this past cycle.  I applied to about 12 schools, was turned down from a few for too low of a GRE/GPA, had two interviews, and two denials, and still have yet to hear back from a couple but am almost positive their classes have been filled and the e-mail/letter will be coming later.

I have felt pretty discouraged and exhausted but know this is what I want to do, so am looking for advice on what I should do from this point forward to improve.  I am about halfway through an online Genetics course and an EMT course.  I will finish both of those by the beginning of May and then am going to possibly retake the GRE.  I also am working about 37-40 hours a week as a medical assistant at a family practice/walk-in care clinic still while doing all this.

My Background:

Undergraduate degree:  Exercise Science
Science GPA ~ 3.16

Overall GPA ~ 3.41

GRE ~Q:151, V:146, Writ: 4.5

I have 33 months to date of full time patient care experience working as a medical assistant at a family practice/walk-in care clinic and still continue to work full time.  I will have approximately 6,000 hrs by the time I'll be submitting my app again hopefully by mid/end of May this yr.

I have gone on a medical volunteer trip to Mexico for 1 week and India for 5 weeks.

I have shadowed numerous PAs, MDs, DOs, FNPs, but most of my shadowing was done before 2013.

I had letters of reference last cycle from an MD I work for, a PA I work for, a FNP I work with, and also a excercise science instructor/pre-professional health advisor in undergrad.

I don't feel that my interview skills were very strong and definitely will need to work on that.

What does everyone think?  Any suggestions or advice at all would be great.  Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

@enh03 Thanks for your question and sorry for the delay. Although our program accepts shadowing as a part of clinical experience, we emphasize that applicants have more hands-on experience (which usually comes through paid positions) when they apply. The reason we want more direct patient contact is because PA school is only 2.5 years.  Having a comfort level when working with patients and fine tuning your communication skills with patients and other members of the healthcare team  prior to PA school will make your transition to PA school and to clinical practice a lot easier. I would research more into the EMT-B program and not rely on "hearsay" about what is required of the EMT. Depending on which state you're in, there are some states that do not require a MA certification to work as a medical assistant. Many of the MAs who are in our program were trained on the job (we're located in NC). These type of opportunities presented themselves through shadowing. If you've not accumulated the # of hours needed for the programs you want to apply to by the next application cycle, it never hurts to take a little more time to get these hours. It will save you time and money with the application if you're not competitive, and it will also better prepare yourself for PA school.  I hope this is helpful!

Hey guys! I need some insight.

I graduated with a 3.79 as a Bio major, currently taking a year off to work and save up for PA applications. I have about 280 hours of volunteer experience in the hospital where we rotated onto different floors, being able to have some direct patient care (help bathing, walking, discharging, making sure patients are positioned correctly). Aside from that, I have at least 90 hours of PA shadowing. I worked full-time in a clinical lab for half a year but wanted to be in an environment more exposed to patients.

Currently, I am working as a physician's personal assistant (HA! Not quite the "PA" I want to be) but I am able to shadow him when he sees patients and also observe in surgeries with patient's consent.

I am about to take my GRE this upcoming May and hoping to apply this upcoming cycle. However, I am really haunted by the "paid, direct HCE" portion of the application. 

I looked into MA programs, but it's going to hold me back another year just going to school and racking up hours. I also looked into EMT-B, but I'm a 5'1, not even a 100 lbs, and I've heard there is a physical exam that requires me to lift at least 125 lbs.

I really want to apply this upcoming cycle but I am not sure if my other experiences would be valuable enough as they are not as direct as programs want them to be.

Please advise!

@mandrew1 Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. He should probably contact the programs he wants to apply to to discuss his situation to ensure he's eligible for admission. It seems like a minor offense and an isolated lapse in judgement, which I'm assuming it shouldn't hurt his application too much. It may be worth a brief mention in his personal statement to talk about what he's learned from it, but encourage him to talk with programs first before applying. Hope this helps!

Hi, thank you for the information. I have a question about a veteran friend who served four honorable years in the Air Force, then tested positive for marijuana. He was given a bad conduct discharge. He won numerous awards in the Air Force before this happened. That was nine years ago. Since then he has had exemplary work performance in the medical field, a 3.7 GPA through his junior year in college, married with a daughter, home owner, and no criminal offenses ever in the civilian world. Will the discharge automatically disqualify him from getting into PA school? Or is it dependent on the PA program? Thanks

@cpkpa Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay. Without looking at your transcripts, it's hard to say whether or not you'd be competitive from an academic standpoint. You can reach out to the programs that interest you to get their feedback on your performance (transcripts) and see if they recommend you retake anything. Based on your science GPA that you've provided, you may need to retake some courses, but again I'm just assuming. I'm not sure how programs that don't require the GRE look at an application with GRE scores. That's a great question. I would hate to speculate on anything..but I've heard of some  other health professions programs (not PA schools) that may not require clinical hours, but if an applicant has them, it's a plus to the application. However, that type of "requirement" versus the GRE and that program not being a PA program may be comparing apples to oranges. If you're able to meet with the programs, I would ask that question. Hope this helps some.

First and foremost, thank you @paadmissions for your time and dedication to this forum. I am planning to apply when applications open next month for the Class of 2019. As a first-time PA applicant, I definitely have a lot of questions and concerns about the process. Like most other PA applicants, my first questions is, “Am I a competitive applicant?”

I graduated in June 2014 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Biological Sciences and a Bachelor’s of Fine Arts in Dance Performance. My cumulative GPA is 3.408 and science GPA 2.9. During my undergrad, I performed in quarterly dance performances, was chair of a non-profit organization on-campus, worked two jobs- as a peer academic advisor and a CA (Community assistant) in off-campus housing, and volunteered in a near-by Emergency Department where I earned 100 volunteer hours. It wasn’t until my Senior year of college that I decided I wanted to pursue a career in medicine rather than dance. It is evident in my transcript that once I made that switch in career goal, my science grades began to improve. Since graduating in 2014, I have been working as a Medical Scribe in a Family Practice. In addition to transcribing Doctor’s notes, I annotate lab results, take patient vitals, administer injections, send prescriptions with Doctor supervision, and assist the doctor during in-office procedures like stitch or staple-removal. I am also beginning to shadow a group of Physician’s Assistants in an orthopedic urgent care facility twice a week, and will be taking a Microbiology course and lab at a local community college beginning end of May. I am currently researching and applying for medical service trips, and hope to go on one in September 2016. I have not taken the GRE. Many schools I am interested in state they do not require the GRE. If it is not required, can a GRE score still be considered or contribute to your application as a whole? So to re-cap, am I a competitive applicant and does the GRE contribute to one’s application if it’s not required? 

Thank you, and I’m looking forward to your response!

@hopefulPAstudent2016 Thank you for your questions. If you're able to seek feedback from the programs that denied you due to low GPAs, see if there are some prerequisite courses that could be retaken to make your application more competitive. I think retaking the GRE is a good idea and hopefully your verbal scores will come up a little. In regards to your interview, if you know you need to improve upon your interview skills, etc. that's great self-awareness. Did you seek feedback from the programs that denied you after the interview? Sometimes programs may give feedback, sometimes they don't. It never hurts to ask. If you receive any type of feedback about improving your academics, you should take this cycle off to make the improvements suggested so you're not submitting the same application again. I hope this is helpful!

Unfortunately, I was not accepted in to PA schools this past cycle.  I applied to about 12 schools, was turned down from a few for too low of a GRE/GPA, had two interviews, and two denials, and still have yet to hear back from a couple but am almost positive their classes have been filled and the e-mail/letter will be coming later.

I have felt pretty discouraged and exhausted but know this is what I want to do, so am looking for advice on what I should do from this point forward to improve.  I am about halfway through an online Genetics course and an EMT course.  I will finish both of those by the beginning of May and then am going to possibly retake the GRE.  I also am working about 37-40 hours a week as a medical assistant at a family practice/walk-in care clinic still while doing all this.

My Background:

Undergraduate degree:  Exercise Science
Science GPA ~ 3.16

Overall GPA ~ 3.41

GRE ~Q:151, V:146, Writ: 4.5

I have 33 months to date of full time patient care experience working as a medical assistant at a family practice/walk-in care clinic and still continue to work full time.  I will have approximately 6,000 hrs by the time I'll be submitting my app again hopefully by mid/end of May this yr.

I have gone on a medical volunteer trip to Mexico for 1 week and India for 5 weeks.

I have shadowed numerous PAs, MDs, DOs, FNPs, but most of my shadowing was done before 2013.

I had letters of reference last cycle from an MD I work for, a PA I work for, a FNP I work with, and also a excercise science instructor/pre-professional health advisor in undergrad.

I don't feel that my interview skills were very strong and definitely will need to work on that.

What does everyone think?  Any suggestions or advice at all would be great.  Thank you in advance!

Hello,

I am sure you have answered this question multiple times in the past but I will ask again. Does the PA school you go to matter? I have admission offers from two programs. One is a relatively unknown school in another state that is one year old that starts very soon and one in in-state that would be a first year program at a widely known school that currently has physical therapy and dental programs. The in-state won't find out if they have their accreditation until Sept 2016 and won't start until the new year. I am eager to get started on my PA journey but am willing to wait until January if going to a better known school would be in my best interest. I currently live where I have family and friends to support me but am willing to move to a few states away without either if it truly doesn't matter where you go as long as the school is accredited. If the school matters a lot, I was also admitted to a top tier FNP program (not currently an RN) but would become one and an FNP in 3 years time. Would you suggest I do that instead?

More info: The rotations at the 1yr old school are still being set up as their first cohort will begin them in the coming months. The rotations at the school in-state are still being set up but they already have agreements with a couple of big medical groups. The out of state PA program has a cadaver guided dissection anatomy course vs. the in-state program intends to use models and computers to teach anatomy with a few visits to a lab with prosections. Does that matter?

I have been told I have no bad decision, do you agree?

Hi @paadmissions - thank you for the time you put in to helping on this forum, I enjoy reading your feedback and advice!  Here is my info, this will be my 3rd year applying:

cGPA: 3.6

sGPA: 3.9

Bachelor degree in marketing

PA shadowing: 90 hours

hands on experience:

2000 hours in a women's clinic as clinic assistant (MA duties)

2500 hours as a medic in a free clinic (volunteer)

300 hours medical assistant (new job, work with MDs and PAs)

300 hours as a medical scribe in ED (new job, scribe for MDs)

additional volunteer exp:10 years as a baseball coach for mentally/physically disabled kids

GRE: not planning on taking

I am geographically limited because of my stepdaughter so I am applying to 4 schools here in CA within driving distance. I want to do everything I can to get into school, but I also have to support my family so I can't do either MA or scribing full time (I work in a restaurant on weekends to pay the bills and help co-parent my step daughter during the week). Is there somewhere I should be concentrating for hours (scribe vs MA), or is a breadth of experience ok? Is a letter of rec from a PA that I have known just a couple months more favorable than an MD I've worked with for years? Is there anywhere you see I can try to improve to give me an edge?  I applied to 3 schools last year and didn't get an interview, adding in Stanford this year which is a long shot. 

Also, I contacted the schools that I applied to via email to show my interest, introduced myself at a state conference to directors of admissions if I met them, and followed up with a letter of interest via snail mail.  Is this overkill? I want them to know I'm interested but don't want to go overboard. It feels like dating and I don't know the rules!

Thank you for your time and insight!!!

Hello, @paadmissions! Thank you so very much for helping us out and answering all our questions! 

I am planning on applying to this upcoming cycle for PA School but I have a dilemma with which GRE scores I should use. The first time I took the GRE I got Verbal: 151 Quant: 150 and Writing: 4.0. The second time I got Verbal: 156 Quant: 149 and Writing: 3.5 

I am confused because the first scores are more generally balanced but on the second scores I did fairly better on my verbal but dropped the ball on the writing portion. Now, I am not sure which scores would look better for PA programs. If you could give me any insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

@paadmissions

I am actually in the process of a career change and left my position as a medical device sales rep last month so that I could focus my efforts towards acquiring the necessary patient contact hours for admission into PA school. 

I graduated with a degree in Management from Elon University back in 2012 with a 3.51gpa. However, since I have been working full-time, I have been taking the necessary science prerequisites at a local community college at night. I have a few left to complete this summer, but I anticipate finishing my science prereqs with a ~3.75gpa. 

You mentioned back in 2012 that your program looks negatively upon science courses taken at community colleges and would prefer that they are completed at a four year institution... what about someone who is going through a career change who's undergraduate studies did not include science coursework?

I recently got certified as an LNA and hope to have ~350 hours at the time of application this August, but I hope that programs will take into consideration my prior work experience. While it was a sales role, I would go to patients' homes to fit them with postoperative devices that were prescribed by their provider. There is no observed stimulus for the treatment, so taking the time to educate the patient on the technology was critically important. Furthermore, I would review all op reports/clinical notes to note any comorbidities that might impact their ability to heal. I was in this role for 2 years and fit over 500 patients at their respective homes, spending roughly 45min-1hr with each patient.

I have shadowed a PA in the ER for 30 hours, a PA in the ICU for 60 hours, and I am familiar with the role of primary care given that my dad is an internist practicing family medicine... but perhaps it might still behoove me to shadow a PA PCP.

I am taking the GRE's next month and anticipate that my scores will be fine - I scored in the 75th % on the practice GRE exam without preparation. 

Recommendations will come from a PA, my med sales VP who was direct supervisor, and a prof.

So my Q's are:

* How bad is it that I took evening courses at a community college while working full-time to fulfill the science prereqs?

* Do you think that my prior work experience might be considered for patient contact hours?

* Will my application be competitive?

I cannot thank you enough for your help and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Also, I know that applying in August hurts my chances (rolling admissions), but I am taking bio2, org chem, and micro this summer and they do not end until 8/5. 

Best,

Rettikins