Ask a PA Admissions Director

@jalines Thank you for your questions. I can say that a high percentage of applicants who apply to our program could be considered for a seat in the program, but we unfortunately can't interview all of them nor do we have enough seats for them. You'll see a lot of people having to apply more than once to PA programs because of this reason. That being said, there are a good number who don't even meet the recommendations as well. I can only stress that you apply to programs if you're at or above their minimum requirements. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@jalines Thank you for your questions. I can say that a high percentage of applicants who apply to our program could be considered for a seat in the program, but we unfortunately can't interview all of them nor do we have enough seats for them. You'll see a lot of people having to apply more than once to PA programs because of this reason. That being said, there are a good number who don't even meet the recommendations as well. I can only stress that you apply to programs if you're at or above their minimum requirements. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@jackeh Thank you for your questions. You have quite the dilemma! I do like the leadership aspect of the position you've been promoted to, but if you don't have hands on experience, it's not necessarily helping you meet your ultimate goal for PA school. Before you dismiss the leadership position is there anyone who you can talk to to see if you can be given an opportunity for hands-on experience while in that position? or is that totally out of the question? If not, it may be best to pursue the position that affords you the best opportunity to work with patients.

In regards to your LOR, I would ask the PA who you feel knows you the best and who can offer a more insightful letter that speaks to your ability to be a good PA.

Hope this helps and best wishes!

@jackeh Thank you for your questions. You have quite the dilemma! I do like the leadership aspect of the position you've been promoted to, but if you don't have hands on experience, it's not necessarily helping you meet your ultimate goal for PA school. Before you dismiss the leadership position is there anyone who you can talk to to see if you can be given an opportunity for hands-on experience while in that position? or is that totally out of the question? If not, it may be best to pursue the position that affords you the best opportunity to work with patients.

In regards to your LOR, I would ask the PA who you feel knows you the best and who can offer a more insightful letter that speaks to your ability to be a good PA.

Hi! How do admissions offers evaluate the type of health care experience?

- Consistency in a job: 500 hours at one facility vs. 250 at 2 different facilities?

- Type of HCE: nursing home CNA vs. hospital CNA?

- Volunteering: do you like to see both volunteering AND paid work on an app?

- Amount of hours: if an applicant simply meets the amount of hours vs. exceeding greatly

In other words, what is the ideal balance of HCE on an application?

Thanks so much!

- Consistency in a job: 500 hours at one facility vs. 250 at 2 different facilities?

- Amount of hours: if an applicant simply meets the amount of hours vs. exceeding greatly

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much!

Hi there,

I am currently a Registered Dietitian with approximately 1.5 years of full time work experience in the hospital and LTC setting. I was pre-PA in college with my major in Dietetics, however, felt that my GPA was not competitive enough and decided to pursue my career in Nutrition. I am also currently a M.S. in Human Nutrition candidate at Eastern Michigan University, but am ready to apply to PA school.

Throughout my time in undergrad, I transferred a couple of times while moving around Michigan for my husbands job and personal reasons.

I started at Central Michigan for 3.5 years (97 Credits, GPA - 3.13) and took one class online through a Comm. College for transfer and received a C (3.0 credits, 2.0 GPA)

I then moved home to take care of my mom and my younger 8 siblings when she was diagnosed with Lupus and unable to work. (Took 13 credits, received 9, GPA 1.51)

I then decided that I needed to continue to follow my dreams and removed myself to move to Kalamazoo where my husband was working and went to a comm college there until I could figure out transferring to a 4-year college. (18 credits, GPA 3.66)

I transferred then to Western Michigan for 3 semesters to graduate. (38 credits, GPA 3.39).

Eastern Michigan Graduate School (Completed 6 credits, GPA 4.0).

I am not sure yet what my CASPA GPA will be, but here are some highlights of my coursework:

Microbiology: A-

Biomedical Ethics: A

Statistics: A

Gen Chem I with Lab: B+

Gen Chem II with Lab: BA (3.5)

Organic Chemistry I: Took twice, First C-, then BA (3.5)

Biochemistry: CB (2.5)

Anatomy: B-

Physiology: Took twice, first D+, then C+.

Biology: B

Developmental Psych: A-

Pathophysiology: C+

Last 30-60 hours GPA is significantly better than beginning college GPA. Last 56 hours of undergrad GPA is 3.52, last 60 hours total (to include graduate credits) = 3.68.

I was planning on not taking the GRE since Western Michigan does not need it, but recently found out that they do not accept the physiology course that I took as a prerequisite. Now I plan to apply to Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan University who require GRE. I plan to take that in the next month.

In your opinion, am I a competitive candidate? I am not sure what my science GPA is or my prerequisite GPA would be but I am assuming on the low end. I am positive that if I obtained an interview that I would be highly considered for a spot! How can I explain my situation during that one month at Wayne State and all of the moving around?

I appreciate a reply,

Sincerely,

Tara Holy, RD

Hi there,

I am currently a Registered Dietitian with approximately 1.5 years of full time work experience in the hospital and LTC setting. I was pre-PA in college with my major in Dietetics, however, felt that my GPA was not competitive enough and decided to pursue my career in Nutrition. I am also currently a M.S. in Human Nutrition candidate at Eastern Michigan University, but am ready to apply to PA school.

Throughout my time in undergrad, I transferred a couple of times while moving around Michigan for my husbands job and personal reasons.

I started at Central Michigan for 3.5 years (97 Credits, GPA - 3.13) and took one class online through a Comm. College for transfer and received a C (3.0 credits, 2.0 GPA)

I then moved home to take care of my mom and my younger 8 siblings when she was diagnosed with Lupus and unable to work. (Took 13 credits, received 9, GPA 1.51)

I then decided that I needed to continue to follow my dreams and removed myself to move to Kalamazoo where my husband was working and went to a comm college there until I could figure out transferring to a 4-year college. (18 credits, GPA 3.66)

I transferred then to Western Michigan for 3 semesters to graduate. (38 credits, GPA 3.39).

I am not sure yet what my CASPA GPA will be, but here are some highlights of my coursework:

Last 30-60 hours GPA is significantly better than beginning college GPA. Last 56 hours of undergrad GPA is 3.52, last 60 hours total (to include graduate credits) = 3.68.

I was planning on not taking the GRE since Western Michigan does not need it, but recently found out that they do not accept the physiology course that I took as a prerequisite. Now I plan to apply to Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan University who require GRE. I plan to take that in the next month.

In your opinion, am I a competitive candidate? I am not sure what my science GPA is or my prerequisite GPA would be but I am assuming on the low end. I am positive that if I obtained an interview that I would be highly considered for a spot! How can I explain my situation during that one month at Wayne State and all of the moving around?

I appreciate a reply,

Sincerely,

Tara Holy, RD

Hi there,

I appreciate a reply,

Sincerely,

Tara Holy, RD

Dear Paadmissions,

Thank you for answering a great variety of questions on this thread.

I'm already 35 years old, graduated early with a BS in a non-medical science from a top 10 university, dropped out of a MS program 10+ years ago (chose to relocate to better monitor elderly parents), 15 years of laboratory experience (academia, industrial, and forensic), and have several research publications. I have the minimum GPA for the local PA program, a very interesting resume, am in contact with the local PA chapter for shadowing opportunities, and plan to get EMT-B certification and HCE experience and take prerequisites before even applying. The local program does not require the GRE, but I plan to re-take it (1998 results were good enough for grad school) to offset the GPA.

My question is: How soon is too early to show up to information sessions at one's chosen program? It will be at least five years before I believe I can complete the prerequisites, let alone be competitive as an applicant. I was considering attending an information session to get a road map of what to do and introduce myself as a future applicant, but would it be better to wait in order to make a more positive impression? I'm in the 3rd trimester of pregancy with my third child, and have obviously limited mobility.

Thanks for your support.

Dear Paadmissions,

I'm already 35 years old, graduated early with a BS in a non-medical science from a top 10 university, dropped out of a MS program 10+ years ago (chose to relocate to better monitor elderly parents), 15 years of laboratory experience (academia, industrial, and forensic), and have several research publications. I have the minimum GPA for the local PA program, a very interesting resume, am in contact with the local PA chapter for shadowing opportunities, and plan to get EMT-B certification and HCE experience and take prerequisites before even applying. The local program does not require the GRE, but I plan to re-take it (1998 results were good enough for grad school) to offset the GPA.

My question is: How soon is too early to show up to information sessions at one's chosen program? It will be at least five years before I believe I can complete the prerequisites, let alone be competitive as an applicant. I was considering attending an information session to get a road map of what to do and introduce myself as a future applicant, but would it be better to wait in order to make a more positive impression? I'm in the 3rd trimester of pregancy with my third child, and have obviously limited mobility.

Thanks for your support.

Dear Paadmissions,

Thanks for your support.

Dear Pa admission director,

I took college now courses in high school 11th grade at a 4 year college, which I will call college X, and I received a B- in precal, and B+s in in two philosophy courses. These college now courses were offered to HS students. I did not transfer these credits to my undergrad college because my college would not accept these classes. I am currently a senior finishing up my BA. I am planning to retake genetics because I received a B- in the class. I want to take genetics at college X since it is near my house. My problem is the B- in precal, will show up in the transcript when I request a transcript for my genetics grade from college X for CASPA and bring down my GPA. Keep in mind I took precal as a high school student 5 years ago. How will PA school view this? Or should I go to another college to retake genetics? Another question, say I do not retake any classes after I complete my BA this May. Will CASPA know I took college classes as a HS student in a different college even though I never transferred those credits to my current undergrad college? Sorry for the long questions.

I took college now courses in high school 11th grade at a 4 year college, which I will call college X, and I received a B- in precal, and B+s in in two philosophy courses. These college now courses were offered to HS students. I did not transfer these credits to my undergrad college because my college would not accept these classes. I am currently a senior finishing up my BA. I am planning to retake genetics because I received a B- in the class. I want to take genetics at college X since it is near my house. My problem is the B- in precal, will show up in the transcript when I request a transcript for my genetics grade from college X for CASPA and bring down my GPA. Keep in mind I took precal as a high school student 5 years ago. How will PA school view this? Or should I go to another college to retake genetics? Another question, say I do not retake any classes after I complete my BA this May. Will CASPA know I took college classes as a HS student in a different college even though I never transferred those credits to my current undergrad college? Sorry for the long questions.

My previous post might be very confusing. What I am asking is if I do not transfer credits from a college I took one class in to my undergrad BA college, would CASPA have any way of knowing that I took classes at a different college while I was in high school? If they don't know, then I can just take my genetic course at a different college so I don't have to worry about bringing down my GPA from a college course I took as a 11th grader. Also, I did take calculus in my undergrad and received a A and I also took Statistics, got A too. I know CASPA wants transcript from every college attended but does that apply if I do not transfer the credits to my undergrad BA? So, should I take genetics at this college or take it in another place so the HS college course grade do the trasnfer to CASPA I apologize for any confusion I might have caused. I wasn't able to find an answer through CASPA website.

My previous post might be very confusing. What I am asking is if I do not transfer credits from a college I took one class in to my undergrad BA college, would CASPA have any way of knowing that I took classes at a different college while I was in high school? If they don't know, then I can just take my genetic course at a different college so I don't have to worry about bringing down my GPA from a college course I took as a 11th grader. Also, I did take calculus in my undergrad and received a A and I also took Statistics, got A too. I know CASPA wants transcript from every college attended but does that apply if I do not transfer the credits to my undergrad BA? So, should I take genetics at this college or take it in another place so the HS college course grade do the trasnfer to CASPA I apologize for any confusion I might have caused. I wasn't able to find an answer through CASPA website.

I have a quick, hopefully fairly easy to answer question. I am retaking the first half of general biology at a different university than originally. At my undergrad university, general biology was known as Bio 1A and Bio 1B. At the university I am retaking the course at, the general biology series is known as Bio 106 and Bio 107. How will admissions personnel know that Bio 1A = Bio 107 and Bio 1B = Bio 106? Thank you!

I have a quick, hopefully fairly easy to answer question. I am retaking the first half of general biology at a different university than originally. At my undergrad university, general biology was known as Bio 1A and Bio 1B. At the university I am retaking the course at, the general biology series is known as Bio 106 and Bio 107. How will admissions personnel know that Bio 1A = Bio 107 and Bio 1B = Bio 106? Thank you!

How do PA school view a withdraw from a class. I received a C+ in biochem and I plan to retake over to get a better grade during the summer at a different school since I will graduate this May. I spoke to my adviser who believes a W looks bad since PA schools will think the worst and think I failed. She suggested I should leave the C+ and not do a withdraw and retake it again. But there is also the issue of having a C+ in my GPA and bring it down. What do you think I should do? I am definitely retaking it this summer but should I leave the C+ or do a withdraw and have a W instead. Thank you