Ask a PA Admissions Director

@swwyld Thank you for your questions. I see no reason why you would not be a competitive applicant with your healthcare experience and with your academic performance. GRE scores will be the final piece of the application, but I'm hopeful you'll be within a competitive range. From our program's standpoint, we don't use age against an applicant and 31 is not "old." Since you are looking to pursue another career, it's not a bad thing...you'll need to be able to communicate to the committee what about the PA profession attracted you and how your background as a RT has prepared you for it. We've had several RTs in our program and they've done very well. I would not let the one opinion you've heard from the PA faculty member discourage you from thinking you're not an option or an ideal candidate for PA school. Sometimes the adjustment is difficult for non-traditional students, but sometimes the adjustment can be just as hard for traditional students. It's about your willingness to learn and to take instruction-that is true for any student. I hope this helps!

@garrettN. Thank you for your questions and for your service! I don't see anything wrong with mentioning your disability if you feel it has been an obstacle in your life. It's important to note how you recognized it and how you dealt with it over time as a student. A brief mention of it, if you do mention it, is the best way to approach it. If you don't mention it in your personal statement it is something to consider sharing with faculty at some point especially if you need accommodations for testing etc. It's not an uncommon request, but if you need additional time, etc. accommodations can be made with proper documentation.

You may want to take a look at the prerequisite GPA for the programs you're applying to. 3.2 may be a minimum requirement/recommendation so you may be meeting the minimum, but not exceeding GPAs--typically what programs tend to look for.

I hope this helps!

@lavender Thank you for your questions and if I skip over a question please let me know. First, look at the program recommendations for where to take your outstanding coursework. We would prefer to see the courses you mentioned, especially Organic Chemistry, to be taken at the university level and not the community college level. Other programs have differing opinions about where applicants can take prerequisites. The courses you've mentioned (contemporary perspectives...) can be listed as "Other Science" courses I think. Use CASPA's FAQ page to review how to list your coursework. If you only have one "W" on your transcript it's not the end of the world and I don't think programs will put your application in a different pile if you're competitive in most categories. There is a section on your application where you can document your research. You don't want to restate your resume in your personal statement since there is a place on the application for you put volunteer and research experience. Your EMT and CNA coursework is typically not calculated into your GPAs from what I understand. Your additional courses that you've taken will be looked at differently for every program. If you're able to fit in courses like Cell Physiology, Developmental Bio, Human Genetics, etc. these may be more beneficial to your application and preparation. Finally, my recommendations outside of academics is to gain quality HCE to help in your understanding of the profession. I hope this helps!

Is there a particular undergrad degree that you would prefer to see? I am in the process of beginning my career change from retail management and I'm just starting prereq courses. I am taking my ASCP exam this summer to become a certified phlebotomist and will be gaining some of my HCE that way. I'm just wondering if one bachelor's degree will lay a better foundation for me than another?

Dear PA admissions Director

I am graduating this May with a 3.56 GPA and a science GPA of 3.5 in Bachelor of Science. In all my science classes, I received a B or A, except I got a C+ second semester of orgo and B- in genetic. However, I did get an A- first semester of Orgo, Should I retake orgo second semester and genetics over? I was thinking of taking Orgo 2 again this summer, only the lecture part because of the cost. If I retake Orgo, should I retake both the lab and the lecture? My school combines the lab and lecture grades but the summer schools I am looking at give separate grades for lab and lecture. I did take upper level bio classes and chem classes. Also, do PA school place more value on working as a clinical researcher or working as a medical assistant? I have two job offer, one is a clinical research assistant and another is a medical assistant at a hospital. I would enjoy doing both but I am not sure which one would benefit me more for PA school. Currently I have about 500 hours working as a phlebotomist and EKG technician. I did research in biology in my undergrad for a year. I plan to apply to PA schools next year, so by then I hope to have over 3000 hours. Lastly, am I a competitive applicant based on my GPA and hours? How can I straighten my application? Should I do a postbac to bring up my GPA? Sorry for long questions. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I have a question that I have yet to see anyone ask, probably because it's a rare issue. Do PA schools generally accept narrative evaluations from colleges that do not have letter grades? The college I received my BA from does not have grades, therefore I have no undergrad GPA. I graduated 10 years ago. I have all of these written evaluations and most of them go into a lot of detail. Currently, I have a 4.0 science GPA that comprises all the science/lab prerequisites needed. I contacted my undergrad college, and they told me that students have had no trouble gaining admission to medical schools with narrative evaluations. But, they haven't had anyone apply to PA schools (that they are aware of). Any ideas?

Thanks you for this post it is most helpful.

I am wondering if you could comment on my current situation. I am 27 and looking into PA school. I graduated with a BA in Biblical and Theological studies (GPA 3.3, definite upward swing) and am in a Master of Arts in Systematic Theology program (GPA 4.0) currently. I am thinking about making a change due to job market and vocational passions. I know that I would need to go back and do some of my prerequisites. What advise would you have for someone who is almost in a second career situation and looking at becoming a PA.

What steps can I take to become a good PA candidate?

What are the best ways to find a PA who would be willing to let me shadow them?

Does the type of institution matter as far as taking my prerequisites (public, private, community college)?

Thanks

Dear PA admissions director,

I just wanted to ask a fairly simple question about my candidacy for PA school. I'll be applying this cycle to roughly 14 programs that I feel I'm competative at (I only have the GRE left to take). My cGPA is 3.6 and sGPA is a 3.1, I have 35 hours of shadowing (mixed family medicine/ortho) and I will have roughly 900 hours of experience (surgical patient care tech, currently working in this capacity) when my applications go out. I have a solid extracurricular background from my undergraduate degree, and solid LORs (professor/pa).

My concern is my science GPA. My freshman year of college I scored a "C" for Bio 1/Bio2, and retook the courses, making an "A" in Bio 1 and a "B" in Bio 2. I also scored a C in Organic Chemistry. I've science taken upper level sciences (Genetics/Immunology) recently and recieved A's for both. I know that if I get an interview that the best explanation I can offer and admissions committee is that I've done what I can to improve my sGPA and show that I can handle upper level courses. How do you recommend I approach the question of "why is your science GPA weak?" Also, science GPA set aside, do you see any other ways I can improve on my application. Thank you in advance!

This is most likely a question that would be better suited for a personal message, but I think it would be good for others to see as well.

I will be starting my program in the Fall, so this is not acceptance related. Over your time as an admissions director, have you seen a trend in applicants (i.e age, GPA)? Additionally, is there a trend in the type of students that you are offering admission to?

Last question: where do you see the PA profession in terms of academics 10 years from now and how do you think that will impact the profession?

Sorry for the interrogative feel of these questions.

The GRE is coming up for me in a few weeks. I am not bad at math but havent seen some of the things in my study guides in quite a long time. I am also nervous about the analytical writing portion. On average, do PA programs look more closely at verbal and quant reasoning sections than they do the issue/arguement essays? I want to make sure I budget my time correctly.

I am looking into some of the duel PA/MPH programs but I have very little experience with public health in the past. I have always had an interest in public health and a desire to run health education programs in at-risk communities, but will my lack of public health courses during undergrad make me a weak applicant? In other words, what do these dual programs look for in applicants?

@52280PAprospect Thank you for your question. I would recommend if you have not picked a degree yet that you consider Biology or Chemistry. Either of these (or if you major in Bio with a concentration in Chemistry) can help you meet the prerequisites for most programs without you having to pick up courses outside of your major. It's the most logical way to go in my opinion, but most programs don't have a degree requirement. Hope this helps!

@52280PAprospect Thank you for your question. I would recommend if you have not picked a degree yet that you consider Biology or Chemistry. Either of these (or if you major in Bio with a concentration in Chemistry) can help you meet the prerequisites for most programs without you having to pick up courses outside of your major. It's the most logical way to go in my opinion, but most programs don't have a degree requirement. Hope this helps!

@asda26 Thank you for your questions. I think your GPAs are within a competitive range for most programs. If you're waiting another cycle to apply it wouldn't hurt to consider retaking the org II and maybe genetics. I would make sure you retake them at a university level and not cc level and would recommend taking both the lecture and lab if you're able to...I guess it will depend on how they are offered at the schools you're looking at attending. Regarding your hours, I would probably look at the medical assisting job as they may offer more hands on experience and allow you to work with PAs more so than you would with clinical research. Your application thus far seems strong, but keep in mind GRE scores may also be a point of emphasis as well. Hope this helps!

@asda26 Thank you for your questions. I think your GPAs are within a competitive range for most programs. If you're waiting another cycle to apply it wouldn't hurt to consider retaking the org II and maybe genetics. I would make sure you retake them at a university level and not cc level and would recommend taking both the lecture and lab if you're able to...I guess it will depend on how they are offered at the schools you're looking at attending. Regarding your hours, I would probably look at the medical assisting job as they may offer more hands on experience and allow you to work with PAs more so than you would with clinical research. Your application thus far seems strong, but keep in mind GRE scores may also be a point of emphasis as well. Hope this helps!

@chotaling Thank you for your question and I'll be the first to admit I don't know the answer to this question. The only thing I can recommend is to contact the programs that you're interested in and see how they view your situation. I know if you were to apply to our program we would consider the school's accreditation and then probably have to make a program decision on whether or not we would accept the coursework as meeting our requirements. You may want to prepare yourself to retake prerequisite courses so you can receive a letter grade as an end result. Retakes may be the only way around it, but will probably be different with each program you contact. I hope this helps some.

@chotaling Thank you for your question and I'll be the first to admit I don't know the answer to this question. The only thing I can recommend is to contact the programs that you're interested in and see how they view your situation. I know if you were to apply to our program we would consider the school's accreditation and then probably have to make a program decision on whether or not we would accept the coursework as meeting our requirements. You may want to prepare yourself to retake prerequisite courses so you can receive a letter grade as an end result. Retakes may be the only way around it, but will probably be different with each program you contact. I hope this helps some.

• Upvote 1

@browner10 Thank you for your questions. I would recommend taking the following steps:

- Narrow down your list of PA schools you want to apply to...consider things that are important to you when considering programs: mission, PANCE pass rates, student and faculty testimonies, location, class size (these are just examples)

- Once you've narrowed down that search determine what courses you need to take or retake to be competitive. Contact the admissions representatives at these programs to see if they'll do an unofficial eval of your transcripts and is they'll let you know what recommendations they can make for you to be competitive. Every program will have differing opinions about where you should take or retake prerequisites. I always recommend 4-year institutions because it prepares you better for PA school and ensures you're taking upper level courses at the highest level possible.

- Clinical experience is important to helping you be a more competitive applicant, but also gaining exposure to healthcare and PAs. I always encourage shadowing, but also encourage you to seek paid positions (i.e. medical assisting, CNA, ER tech, EMT) to allow yourself an opportunity to work with patients and other members of the healthcare team. The best way to get into shadowing is to "cold call" or visit a lot of private practices to see if the providers would be willing to let you shadow them.

I hope this helps some and best wishes!

@browner10 Thank you for your questions. I would recommend taking the following steps:

- Narrow down your list of PA schools you want to apply to...consider things that are important to you when considering programs: mission, PANCE pass rates, student and faculty testimonies, location, class size (these are just examples)

- Once you've narrowed down that search determine what courses you need to take or retake to be competitive. Contact the admissions representatives at these programs to see if they'll do an unofficial eval of your transcripts and is they'll let you know what recommendations they can make for you to be competitive. Every program will have differing opinions about where you should take or retake prerequisites. I always recommend 4-year institutions because it prepares you better for PA school and ensures you're taking upper level courses at the highest level possible.

- Clinical experience is important to helping you be a more competitive applicant, but also gaining exposure to healthcare and PAs. I always encourage shadowing, but also encourage you to seek paid positions (i.e. medical assisting, CNA, ER tech, EMT) to allow yourself an opportunity to work with patients and other members of the healthcare team. The best way to get into shadowing is to "cold call" or visit a lot of private practices to see if the providers would be willing to let you shadow them.

I hope this helps some and best wishes!