Ask a PA Admissions Director

Thank you much for taking the time to create this post and respond to all of these hopeful applicants. I have a question pertaining to past performance at the collegiate level compared to more recent experience. Right out of high school in 1990, I went to college and performed badly enough that I received an academic dismissal. These 42 credits accumulated an abysmal 1.7 GPA. However, since returning to school, my GPA has been 3.85. My pre-req GPA should be high as well (I haven't calculated it yet), but everything is an A with the exception of a B in organic and micro. I have been a full time paramedic for 20 years and a full time EMT for three years prior, which equates to something like 63,000 clinical hours. My GRE score is 311 and I have letters of recommendation from a previous co-worker who is now a PA, an MD/professor, and the COO of my employing company. What is driving me crazy is that my combined GPA is 3.27. I want to emphasize to the schools that I was taking EMT classes at night at the same time that I was going to college during my first attempt. Obviously, I was more interested in healthcare and my new EMS career than taking general college credits. Any thoughts on my chances of getting in with the overall 3.2 GPA and/or if I should explain my first attempt at college during the application process? Thank you much for your time and assistance.

Thank you much for taking the time to create this post and respond to all of these hopeful applicants. I have a question pertaining to past performance at the collegiate level compared to more recent experience. Right out of high school in 1990, I went to college and performed badly enough that I received an academic dismissal. These 42 credits accumulated an abysmal 1.7 GPA. However, since returning to school, my GPA has been 3.85. My pre-req GPA should be high as well (I haven't calculated it yet), but everything is an A with the exception of a B in organic and micro. I have been a full time paramedic for 20 years and a full time EMT for three years prior, which equates to something like 63,000 clinical hours. My GRE score is 311 and I have letters of recommendation from a previous co-worker who is now a PA, an MD/professor, and the COO of my employing company. What is driving me crazy is that my combined GPA is 3.27. I want to emphasize to the schools that I was taking EMT classes at night at the same time that I was going to college during my first attempt. Obviously, I was more interested in healthcare and my new EMS career than taking general college credits. Any thoughts on my chances of getting in with the overall 3.2 GPA and/or if I should explain my first attempt at college during the application process? Thank you much for your time and assistance.

@donandjeaniene Thanks for your questions. I would hope programs would examine the application carefully to see the improvements you've made especially since your previous work was done well over 10 years ago. I think that since your overall GPA is at least above a 3.0 you should make it through most initial screenings. I know our program would focus heavily on your improvements and your most recent work. Your clinical experience and GRE scores are solid and should provide strong support for your application. I would make a brief mention in your personal statement about your past performance so that question is answered up front. Don't dwell too much on it, but mention it and the improvements you've made now. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@donandjeaniene Thanks for your questions. I would hope programs would examine the application carefully to see the improvements you've made especially since your previous work was done well over 10 years ago. I think that since your overall GPA is at least above a 3.0 you should make it through most initial screenings. I know our program would focus heavily on your improvements and your most recent work. Your clinical experience and GRE scores are solid and should provide strong support for your application. I would make a brief mention in your personal statement about your past performance so that question is answered up front. Don't dwell too much on it, but mention it and the improvements you've made now. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@jinhong89 Thank you for your questions. I would email them and ask for feedback to make you a more competitive applicant. Most of the time these things can be addressed in an email and usually it's not necessary to schedule a visit. It's the quickest way (sometimes) to get a response. It usually takes me 5 minutes to tell an applicant how to improve their application or if our program is even an option. It can 99% of the time be addressed in the same way via email saving everyone travel time and time off from work or school. Hope this helps.

@jinhong89 Thank you for your questions. I would email them and ask for feedback to make you a more competitive applicant. Most of the time these things can be addressed in an email and usually it's not necessary to schedule a visit. It's the quickest way (sometimes) to get a response. It usually takes me 5 minutes to tell an applicant how to improve their application or if our program is even an option. It can 99% of the time be addressed in the same way via email saving everyone travel time and time off from work or school. Hope this helps.

@Asda26 Thank you for your questions. Your science GPA should be fairly in line with most requirements, but keep in mind you want to attempt to exceed the requirements and not just meet them. Consider evaluating any prerequisites that you could retake to help boost that GPA up a little. I don't think a 3.3 sGPA is bad, but the competitiveness of the applicant pool continues to get better each year. In regards to your GRE, if you're applying to a program that puts a lot of weight on GRE scores you will probably need to retake it. Our program recommends a score of 297-300 to be competitive with the applicant pool. Research a little further on averages, etc. for the programs that interest you. Hope this helps!

@Asda26 Thank you for your questions. Your science GPA should be fairly in line with most requirements, but keep in mind you want to attempt to exceed the requirements and not just meet them. Consider evaluating any prerequisites that you could retake to help boost that GPA up a little. I don't think a 3.3 sGPA is bad, but the competitiveness of the applicant pool continues to get better each year. In regards to your GRE, if you're applying to a program that puts a lot of weight on GRE scores you will probably need to retake it. Our program recommends a score of 297-300 to be competitive with the applicant pool. Research a little further on averages, etc. for the programs that interest you. Hope this helps!