Ask a PA Admissions Director

@amkate7 Thank you for your questions. To be honest I don't think I can make any further recommendations at how to improve your application especially if you've received feedback regarding your hours and you're making strides to improve. If they didn't make any suggestions about your coursework or your GRE scores, I'm really at a loss. The only thing I can think of is maybe the timing of your application, but I'm assuming you're well aware of submitting early is the best thing to do. Have you participated in an interview in the past 2 cycles?

Dear PA Admissions Director,

Thank you for your prompt response. I had a total of 7 interviews last year and was waitlisted at 5 of those programs. I still am currently remaining in consideration with two of the programs.

In terms of grades, only one of the programs mentioned my lower science GPA. I have all A’s and B’s in every single one of my science classes and all of them were taken at the University of Georgia- no classes are transferred from a community or technical college. Do you feel I should repeat courses in which I received a “B” in order to gain an “A”? At most programs, my prerequisite GPA is above a 3.4 in the required sciences. I am not opposed to repeating courses- I just thought it would be more beneficial to gain higher certifications, thus adhering to the majority of the feedback received.Your thoughts?

I do understand that the earlier the better in terms of submitting CASPA and the supplemental applications. As mentioned, I plan to submit my application before the last week of June. Do you think that is early enough?

Once again, thank you so much for all of your advice!

Edited by amkate7

@CYeshu Thank you for your question. I would probably recommend retaking some of the chemistries to help make your application more competitive. I know from our program's standpoint, we place heavy emphasis on how well students do in the chemistries bc they are the most difficult of the prerequisites we require. It's something to think about and other programs may view that differently. You may want to contact the programs you're interest in and ask them to review your transcripts to give you recommendations on what, if anything, you should retake and how competitive you would be with all factors considered. Hope this helps!

@amkate7 Thanks for your response. I think once you've gotten to the interview stage academics usually don't play a large role in decisions. Your academics tend to get you the interview. That being said, there may be more emphasis placed on academics for borderline students than with those who exceed requirements, but with the numbers you've given I think you're solid academically. I would focus heavily on your interview skills and look at improving your interpersonal skills. Personality and how someone fits in with a program and the profession are evaluated a lot during the interview process, so I'm leaning more to those interpersonal skills being a factor. My opinion is just speculation, but something worth evaluating. I think you submitting your application early so you'll be fine as far as meeting those timelines. I hope this helps!

I have a question about cumulative GPA. I've attended 3 Colleges in the past and have 3 different GPA's.

1. I obtained my Bachelors Degree in 2003 and my final cumulative GPA was 2.8 (3rd college)

2. 2nd collage was 2.8 (pre-architecture and mostly B's and C's)

3. 1st college was 2.2 (mostly general classes and mostly C's)

I decided to pursue PA a year ago and have retaken a lot of science courses from my undergrad degree and have improved my grades to all A's/B's this time around this past year 2012/2013... and understand the science material even better, because I've been in the health care field for close to 9 years now after my undergrad degree. I think the maturity of who I am today makes me a better person, then who I was in college; however, I still feel like I still won't get into any PA school because of my cumulative GPA (which is already set in stone).

A lot of nurses, MD's, PA's who I have worked with say "that I will make a good PA and I posses a lot of potential".

I'm not sure what to do and don't want to give up.

Any advice

@Raba : I totally understand your situation. I have attended 4 colleges and the gpa from the first 2 aren't good (2.1 & 2.51) my last two schools are 4.0 and 3.3. I hope that the admissions people can see my improvement. My cumulative gpa will only be 2.7-2.9 at most. Good luck to you :)

@raba Thank you for your questions. If you've taken a significant amount of coursework, especially in the sciences, your prerequisite GPA hopefully will be competitive with the applicant pool. Something we look at and a lot of other programs may focus on is your last 60 hours...is there an upward trend in your performance?, what you've done to improve yourself as a student? and is your most recent retakes in relevant courses (are they prerequisites and upper level science courses). Some applicants retake courses that can be irrelevant to most programs and to their preparation for PA school. To be competitive I would make sure that your prerequisite GPA is at or above 3.4 or higher, your GRE scores are on par with recommended scores and that you have quality healthcare experience (which it seems like you do). I hope this helps!

I graduated with a bachelors degree in biology with a 2.7. I have a cumulative gpa of 3.1 after retaking anatomy and physiology I, II and Statistics. I have a 3.6 in the last 30 hrs. I earned my EMT-B cert before college and have about 300 paid hours as a emt-b. I am now a paramedic with 500-600 hrs of paid experience by the time of application. I have been shadowing 2 PA's for 3 months and have formed great relationships with them. I still have to take the GRE June 29. A few facts that might help me stand out on my personal statement are that I have my pilots license since age 17 and lived in Japan for a year as an exchange student. Do I have any hope? What can I do if I dont get in to improve my application? I have matured since graduating from college and know that I can handle the level of difficulty of classes in PA school. Will my GPA end my dream of being a PA?

Hi, I am wondering if you could provide me some advice. I am a rising senior, and am considering applying to the PA schools that I qualify for this summer. My cumulative GPA is just over 3.4 and my science gpa is 3.2. I have had 2 research experiences as well as about 400 hours of various shadowing and volunteer/patient care experience. I am also a varsity athlete at school (not sure if this plays into decisions). I also have 3 good LORs. Is it worth applying this summer, or should I wait until next summer (where I believe I can get my science gpa to around a 3.4). Any advice is appreciated!!

Pa admissions director-

First of all THANK YOU for being avaliable to us to get some of our questions answered that we wouldnt otherwise.

First question- would it be beneficial for me to retake my GRE? My score was 305 150 on quant 150 on verbal and 5 on writing

Secondly- I am hesitant to apply to a PA program based at a community college. St Francis University offers a masters (distance learning) at a community college where a PA program is based (Red Rocks Community College- Colorado). Should I be wary of the credibility of this program?

This will be my 4th time applying to CASPA and PA programs across the country. In my third application cycle, I interviewed at 2 schools, was waitlisted at 1, and was waitlisted for 2 interviews. My undergraduate science GPA was far from stellar from working 3 part-time jobs and going to school full time, but my post-baccalaureate science GPA was/is a 4.0. I have worked in medical research for the last 5 years and have volunteered in the ER for the same time. I did shadow PAs in the city/county hospital ER until the program was shut down, and am currently having an extremely difficult time finding PAs to shadow. I would appreciate any information that you could provide that may enhance my application, or finding PAs to shadow. I have contacted my personal PA and cold called/emailed as many as possible, but am still finding it difficult to find PAs to shadow due to HIPPA.

@pre-pa Thank you for your questions. I think your science GPA may need boosting, but research the schools that your interested in to see 1- If you're at least meeting the recommended/required science GPA and 2- If you would be in the average of the incoming class. If you're not, you may want to consider boosting that science GPA up to the 3.4 you mentioned. My other recommendation is to evaluate your hours and make sure you have enough and that they're acceptable at those programs. You may have to obtained more hours. In our opinion, yes, athletes do bring a lot to the table and is a great quality to see on an application. I hope this helps!

@rnfromAZ Thank you for your questions. I think your GRE is fine and if you were applying to our program, I would not recommend you retake it. Your percentile ranking is right in the middle and probably sufficient for a lot of programs. I don't know much about RRCC's program, but did a quick website review of their program and would recommend it just based on what I see. It's a pretty cool opportunity that they have master's degree track as well, but just because it's at a CC doesn't mean it's a bad program...It could be better than some programs at the university level! From what I see, they seem to be doing the right things. If you're able to visit the program I would encourage you to check it out to see if it would be a good fit for you before you rule them out. Hope this helps!

Dear PA Admissions Director,

I had a question on Health Care Experience. Much of my HCE comes from working in a ophthalmology office as a medical assistant for the past year. I don't actually have a medical assistant or opthalmology tech degree, only a B.S. and B.A., but I've done back office work such as obtaining patient's medical history, contact lens fittings, and working some of the machines for visual acuity, etc. The MD is also now participating in a clinical research project on metastasis and will let me take over some of the clinical duties such as recording patient's personal history, measuring their vital signs, etc.

The MD happens to be my father.

Will all these hours I've put in be looked at positively even though it's 1. for a family member 2. I don't actually have a MA degree? I personally believe that hands-on clinical experience is hands-on clinical experience and that's that. Even though my employer is my father, I am still treated just like any other employee, and I work as hard as I would for ANY employer, at ANY job. I'm just worried that this may seem like I only got the job because I'm related to the MD or that I got preferential treatment by working for a family member in the eyes of the PA admissions committees. If I wasn't qualified, I don't think my dad would have let me work at his office. Just some thoughts on the matter, I haven't really seen anyone post about it. Thank you for your time.

Thanks,

Yes, I definitely have an upward trend with my grades ever since my junior year of 2002 to 2003, basically my transcripts reflect that. Also, yes, I have retaken A&P, and Chem 1 & 2 and have scored even higher this time around, so to answer your question yes my most recent course work is relevant to what I'm pursuing. I've had about 9 years of quality healthcare experience so I'm not worried about that area... just the GPA from undergrad is the only thing that is keeping me from my goal. I want to be a PA so bad.

@ssameshi Thank you for your question. From our program's standpoint we would count the hours even though your father is your employer and you don't technically have a MA certification. We have a lot of applicants who perform MA duties and got to that "level" with on the job training. I would tread lightly on having him write a letter of recommendation because I don't think that would be well accepted by programs. If there is another employer who is above you I would recommend them writing a letter on your behalf to show there is no conflict of interest. If you're able to pick up PA shadowing hours on the side I would recommend that as well. Hope this helps!

@waitingblessing Thank you for your question. I'm not sure what programs check credit because that is a very program specific decision. I would contact the program's you're applying to to see how extensive their background checks are. If they do run credit checks you need to disclose any information up front if they ask for it. Hope this helps!

@hann47 I'm sorry I overlooked your post so please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back with you. I think you've shown great improvement in your academic potential and have quality clinical experience that will be beneficial to your application. If the programs you're applying to place a lot of emphasis on GRE scores make sure you're at or above the required score. I do think the personal things you've mentioned are "neat" to hear about and make you a well rounded person. However, in your personal statement, I would focus more on your understanding of the role of the PA, etc. If you can incorporate your life experiences in Japan and elsewhere throughout the PS that's ok, but make sure it's relevant to how it's helped you to be more culturally sensitive (if that's applicable), or something along those lines. I hope this helps!

Dear PA Admission Director,

I have an ok Undergraduate GPA : 3.4 Science GPA 3.3 , post graduate GPA : 3.4 but unfortunately I have a low GPA from Pharmacy School ( Doctorate : 2.3 GPA). I just finished my first year of pharmacy school and unfortunately I had personal problems during my last semester so that is the reason my GPA is so low. After thinking about my career plans I want to have more direct interaction with patients and that is the reason I will like to apply to PA school. How bad does it look that I didn't do so well during my first year of Pharmacy School ? Will the schools not accept me because of my pharmacy school GPA ?

Thank you in advance!

@m2malem Thank you for your questions. There would be some red flags, at least from our standpoint, about your performance in pharmacy school. First, I would recommend contacting the programs that interest you to see what they may recommend. I would probably recommend you considering a post-bacc program or a masters program in a relevant science field to show that you're capable of handling upper level courses if you are dead set on pursing PA school. You will have to demonstrate your academic capability to be competitive and for lack of a better term "overcome" the performance in pharmacy school. Hope this helps.