Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hello, and thank you for doing this! I recently had an interview and naturally I was wait listed. In hindsight of how I answered my questions, I thought I did a very poor job of explaining what a PA is. I had two group interviews so I had two opportunities to answer this question. The first time I was crunched for time and my answer I prepared was kind of long (2 minutes) being unique and I screwed that up, so I decided to go with the old 'Dependent Practitioner' explaining what each term meant in the 2nd interview. Is this something that is frowned upon? Should I give a unique answer?

Second I felt going into the both interview I was looked disfavorably upon as the interviewers would laugh more and smile more at the other 2 who were interviewing us right off the bat. Is it true that in the first 30 seconds you enter the room, they already made most of their discussion, as long as the interviewee does well?

One more question, I have Type 1 diabetes and obviously don't mind talking about it. Should I use this if they give a question, say, "tell me something about yourself," or avoid it altogether?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tour9196

@46&2 Thank you for your questions and I'm happy to hear that the forum has been helpful! Based on the information you've provided I do think you're in a decent spot to apply, without considering other factors like your undergrad performance (if it was borderline, your graduate performance should help) and the GRE. I do think over 1200 hours is solid and depending on the programs that interest you, you hopefully should meet their requirements. Try to go above and beyond that if you can...it never hurts. Finally, don't let your age make you feel "too old" for PA school. Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts (I believe on the page before this one) programs will consider what you can bring to the program and to the profession...not your age. I hope this helps and best wishes!

@tour9196 Thank you for your questions. The "dependent practitioner" answer is not a bad answer, but I think what some committees look for is how you view PAs, not the "textbook answer" for what a PA does. Usually I tell applicants to consider the following topics to help form thoughts about what a PA actually does:

- The MD/PA relationship- what does it mean to you and what have you observed in your clinical experience that has shown how they work together?

- Team work importance (taking orders but also being able to give directives if you're by yourself)

- Educational training (e.g. PAs are trained on the medical school model)

- The ability to work in all fields of medicine- prevents burn out in some instances

- Life can start sooner, rather than later

- PA's importance to the health care system especially in primary care areas (think about the need for providers with the health care reform and the cost effectiveness of PAs when it comes to insurances, etc)

- Do NOT say PAs spend more time with their patients than MDs...it's not always the case and it's a very boring answer we get ALL the time. It's a #1 sign that the applicant still may not know about the profession.

Those are topics that can usually help people form a very succinct and thought out answer to what a PA is.

In regards to determining if a faculty member likes you in the first 30 seconds, I don't think its really true. At least with our program, applicants are interviewed individually by 4 teams of faculty and students. There are sometimes when an interview does not start off the right track, but by the end the applicant loosens up and the perspective or atmosphere in the room can completely change. And sometimes it can start off bad and end bad. I think most program would say their purpose for the interview is not to make you look bad, but to allow you to show us your best. I would hope they didn't judge you in that sense and hang in there, you were wait listed, not denied. There are still opportunities that a seat will come available.

Finally, regarding your diabetes, some people bring up medical conditions and some don't. We won't ask you to share them, but if you happen to use it as an obstacle you've dealt with for the majority of your life, but overcome it you could use it that way. Don't see it as something that would hurt a decision (in my opinion), but every time we're aware of a medical condition the applicant has brought it up on their own. Just be yourself!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for all your time answering our questions... I have one question..

I am down to my last pre reqs and so far i have all A's and 1 B in organic and it looking like i might possibly get one C.....

I have a back up plan in place in case i don't get in this cycle in January I am beginning my EMS training and will become an A-EMT.. I have over 1,000 hours of shadowing in about 7 different specialities.. I know that i eventually want to be an ER PA so the A-EMT certification will be helpful in learning those basic skills..

I was just wondering what people thoughts are about this situation?

Paadmissions,

Hi again :). Thank you for your excellent efforts on helping us out.

I work full time (40 hours per week) as a Laboratory scientist. At the moment, I'm taking about 9 hours credits of pre-req per semester. I feel like that's all I can handle right now with my schedule and my ability ( been out of school for a long time). Do you think it'll look bad on me when I apply since it's not too much school work??? In the future, I want to volunteer at a local er along with school and work. That's my plan. Please let me know if there's anything I should change. So much stuffs to do in little time :).

Thank you for your time!!!

Paadmissions...Thank you for your time answering our questions and you are helping us a lot. I have a couple of questions....

I really want to apply to PA program since 2005 right after I graduated BS in Biochemistry cGPA: 3.3. But there is something came up after that so I have to delay the process of applying to PA. Now is almost at the end of 2012 and start a new year 2013. The school that I want to apply to require that all my prerequisites have to be within 10 years but 4 prerequisites classes just past that time frame. During those years, I did go back to school and earn MLT degree in 2009 with GPA: 3.66. Working as an MLT for 2 years and currently working. I have 5 years of working as phlebotomist. I have no shadowing PA yet but will do some later. I am thinking to go back to school to retake 4 prerequisite that past the time frame is Biochemistry I & II, statistic, and Microbiology. Do you think I should still turn in the application in June 2013 while my class is in progress or do you think I should wait until I'm completely done all that classes then turn in the application? If you are the one who are taking a look of my application do you think I would have a chance for an interview? My major is in Biochemistry so I took a lot of hard science classes because I want to prepare myself with a good of science knowledge before I attend to PA program. I haven't apply through CASPA yet so I don't know my science GPA yet. But with Biochemistry GPA: 3.3. MLT GPA: 3.6. What do you think my chance is if I apply to your school? Thanks.

@chrissy Thank you for your questions. I think your back up plan is good as it will help your obtain more hands on experience especially in the field you prefer to work. You do want to make sure all other factors like prerequisite and overall GPA and GRE scores are in the ball park of being competitive with the school you're applying to. Hours are beginning to become more and more important for programs so I think you're on the right track to get more in case PA school isn't an option for you this spring. Best wishes and let me know if you have any further questions!

@kth5195 Thank you for your questions. To be honest, if 9 hours is all you can handle while working full-time I think that's fine. I'm sympathetic to your situation because I know how it is to work full time and to go back to school. Most committee members should understand the demands of working full time and 3 courses per semester isn't bad in my opinion. I would encourage you to turn those volunteer hours into shadowing opportunities as well. Of course leadership and volunteer hours are non cognitive factors that make applicants attractive, but making the best out of the time in the ER to shadow MDs and PAs would be worth your time. Make sure all other factors and requirements are in line with what is required of the programs you're applying to so you're not overlooking something. I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions.

@Muctim0 Thank you for your questions. Your question will be very specific to the program you're applying to. Take for example our program, we still consider applications as long as there is a plan in place or the applicant is in progress of completing deficient (retakes in your case) coursework by our late-August start date. My best advice is to speak with the program and determine if they will even consider your application if you haven't retaken the courses by the time you submit your application. The unfortunate and most difficult thing about applying to PA schools is that everyone has different timelines. It's best to clear that with the program. However, I do think your GPAs are fairly competitive especially as a Biochemistry major so hopefully you'll be competitive. Hope his helps!

Hi paadmissions,

I want to thank you for answering all of these questions, they have been a great help! I was just wondering, do PA programs look positively at working as scribe in an emergency department? I have just recently gotten a scribe position at a local hospital and I plan to do that full-time after I graduate college this year while working on finishing up a couple of my pre-reqs. Would the position be counted as healthcare experience? I also plan to continue to volunteer at my rescue squad as I am a certified EMT.

Hey PA admissions,

I have recently been accepted into a PA program however I think I might fail organic chemistry. In my acceptance letter it said that all official transcripts including the pre reqs in progress (organic chemistry) must be received in the office of admissions no later than 90 calendar days from the date of registration or you will not be allowed to continue your class work.

Does this mean I still have an opportunity to retake the class in the spring?

I would ask my admission director at the school but I am just scared to bring it to their attention before I know if I fail or not.

@MnM1990 Thank you for your question. Our program counts scribe hours as health care experience, but I've heard of some programs that do and some do not. Make sure you're checking out the HCE acceptable hours for the programs you're applying to. One great thing about scribe work is that it provides a wonderful background for medical terminology and allows you to form a relationship with the physician or PA. You'll get to observe a lot of things. I hope this helps!

@gbphel4828 Thanks for the question. I'm assuming classes will begin in August of 2013? If that's the case you should have time to retake it this spring, but if the program is expecting you to finish the class this fall you need to contact them to let them know you have changed your time line for completing the outstanding course. If withdrawing from the course is an option you may want to consider that before you fail. Spring classes should end around the first of May and if school starts in August you should be fine. If it begins earlier than August I would recommend finding an accelerated Organic class that fits within the time frame. This option will probably be very difficult to arrange so it may not even be an option. If you have no option to fit a retake within the time you need to, I recommend honesty with the program to which you've been accepted. I know it's not something you want to let the program know about, but for planning purposes on their end they need to know you may be in jeopardy of not completing the course with a "C" or better (I'm assuming you have to have a C or better for their prerequisites). There may be an option for rolling your application over for next year, but it also allows the program to allow another applicant ample to prepare for PA school. I'm sorry for the situation you're in, but usually honesty is going to be the best policy in this instance. Hope this helps.

I have interviewed and received and invite to attend some PA programs for the upcoming year. I have not heard back from a school that I have a lot of interest in, Would you suggest contacting that program to see if there is a potential for an interview? (since the other programs have a deadline on when I can accept/deny their offer) Thank you!

Hello! I'm a freshman pre-PA student and I have a question about majors/major coursework. I was planning on majoring in Community & Environmental Sociology because it interests me and leaves me enough room to fulfill PA school pre reqs in there and many other electives as well. I also thought it might be good because the PA program at my institution puts an emphasis on working in rural areas and my major coursework has a lot on rural public health. I also like the fact that I can take a ton of electives or double major because I consider undergrad a time where I should take things other than science because I'm basically going to devote my life to science afterwards. I've talked to some people lately that have said I should major in something more science related like Nutritional Sciences... I'm pretty interested in it and it would encompass my PA prereqs, but I'd also have to take 2 semesters or Orgo + lab, another chemistry course, and 2 semesters of physics.. which I wouldn't be crazy about. There's also a lot of upper level science/nutrition coursework that may be beneficial in PA school. I know I should pick the one I'm the most interested in, but if Nutri Sci would actually be more beneficial then I think it might be a better idea. Any opinions on which would be better?

@jkr03 Thank you for your question. If you get an acceptance from the other programs that you've interviewed with I would then contact that program to see if there is a possibility of you getting an interview so you can weigh your options. I usually tell applicants if you are selected for an interview they will contact you, but one or two follow ups with that program is acceptable. Hope this helps.

@incredibad. Thank you for your question. Our program is not one to get too hung up on what you major in and would probably encourage you to take the route that interests you the most. From our standpoint, an applicant who has exposed him or herself to many areas tends to develop the individual all around...I guess that's the purpose/advantage of a liberal arts education :) That being said, if you feel that the other major would still interest you and prepare you better for PA school by all means, consider that route. Although programs may have recommended paths for PA school, it may not always be the right track for you. There are lots of things to consider and I would recommend talking with your undergrad advisor to see what input they can add. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@kprooney Thank you for your questions. I think you completing a MS degree in Biology is on the right track to help you be more competitive. What you need to consider is how your prerequisite GPA stacks up versus the GPA requirements/recommendations for the programs to which you're applying and their applicant pool. From our program's standpoint, the prerequisite GPA and GRE scores are weighed heavily when deciding on who to interview. The programs you're applying to may have a different take on it, but outside of your clinical experience you'll have to demonstrate the academic will power to prove your potential.

Regarding your LORs. First, check with the programs you're applying to. If they require an academic LOR then the make sure to have the professor write a letter for you. I'm sure most programs would allow you to submit at least one or two more additional LORs outside of your CASPA application (at least we allow applicants to do that). In that case have the other PA send a letter directly to the program for them to place that letter with your file. If the programs you're applying to don't require an academic LOR, then it really is a toss up between the instructor and PA. Pick which one you feel knows you the best and can see your potential as a provide (sound like the PA is the go to person). Again, check to see if you can submit more than 3 letters...that will make the decision a lot easier. Hope this helps and best wishes!

@paadmissions Thanks for the prompt reply. I've done well in my prerequisite courses except for general chemistry which I'm retaking this summer. I got an 1180 on my GREs a few years ago and will definitely retake them after hearing your advice and others I've spoken to. As for the LOR advice I was leaning towards the PA but will definitely have an academic on stand by when needed for those schools requiring one.

@paadmissions: I just want to thank you for answering promptly and honestly to each and every question on this thread. This thread has made me more aware of my academic situation, so I have done a little more research and posted. I know that your school does not allow students with history of dismissal to apply, but just like the other aspiring students here, I also want to find hope and increase my chances.

Here is my previous post: I am a little reluctant to post this question because I find it to be a weak point, but it is necessary because I need help and opinions. I was a nursing student (BSN), got accepted with 3.6 overall gpa. Long story short, during my last semester I was dismissed with a 2.9 gpa due to failed clinical attendance and notification-- abandonment. Not an excuse but found out my now ex cheated on me.

I do regret the past, felt immature about it, and ungrateful to the opportunities presented to me. I was encouraged to enter nursing, never my choice. There was no passion, no motivation, and at the time (21 y/o) "my world" (with my ex) was falling apart, nursing was the last thing on my mind.

I took year off school. After "finding myself," and learning from my mistake I went back for my BS.

Graduated with (biomedical and behavioral science):

3.1 overall,

3.8 for my last 30 credits,

and 3.5 for science gpa

. . . still taking post-bac classes to fulfill PA school prereqs

In addition to my grades, I also have

• a year of hospital CNA experience

• I know CASPA does not count nursing clinical rotation as HCE, but I have that for direct patient care

• I work in a hospital now (clerical), but will be going back to becoming a CNA

• shadowing PA hours

• volunteered for foreign charities

• taking a class for GRE. Plan to take it in 2013.

I learned and researched the PA profession, the information I learn about ignites my inner passion to be a part of something bigger than myself. I know my heart is in healthcare, and I want to be a PA. I have talked to some PA coworkers and they told me "GO! Do what you have to do and apply, and keep on applying!!!" I have told them my situation, but not this detailed. I know there are some schools that will not give my situation a chance, but my question is what are my REAL chances? Are there any advice or idea that would help me increase my opportunity to enter PA school? The closest situation I read from PAforum was a PA student being dismissed, and being admitted again. I plan on giving myself one more year before I apply, finishing up classes and increasing HCE hours. I've learned from my mistakes not to fail again and improve myself for the services I want to render.

Thank you for your time. Let us dream BIG and take action together.

@paadmission: my question still stands. . . With my history, what are my real chances? Is there anything else I can do to redeem myself to be even considered as a candidate to enter PA schools?

Thank you

@catintheheat Thank you for your questions! I'm sympathetic to your situation and we always understand that life gets in the way of our plans, especially early on. We tend to hold firm to our policy about being dismissed from any type of medical program. However, it never hurts to submit something in writing to the programs that you're interest in to see if they are willing to consider you should you apply. At least from our programs standpoint, it would be the decision of the entire admissions committee, and although we don't experience this type of request often, I have rarely seen the request granted. But it never hurts to ask. Hope this helps and best wishes.