Ask a PA Admissions Director

Hi paadmissions,

First, thank you so much for your insight and advice on this forum. It is very generous of you to donate your time to answer our questions.

I have applied twice and have been unsuccessful at gaining entry into a program. I've read your book and applied the information to my application, but I am hoping you can give me some more tailored feedback. Here is a snapshot of my application.

Science GPA:

Freshman: 2.52

Soph: 2.82

Junior: 1.95

Senior:3.20

Post Back: 4.0

Total: 2.86

Overall GPA:

Freshman: 3.31

Soph: 2.94

Junior:2.69

Senior: 3.22

Overall: 3.29

GRE: Verbal:460 Quant:660 Analytical: 4.5

HCE: 10,000 hours

Volunteer, medical and non-medical: 600 hours

I took many of the prereqs ten+ years ago, I did poorly mostly due to immaturity, but I also struggled with family issues. I took A&P and Micro recently at a community college and got 4.0s. Also, my science GPA dramatically improved my senior year of college, so I was hoping for some forgiveness of my earlier grades. I'm pretty certain that the answer here is to retake the bulk of the prereqs to make them more recent and to show that I can do well in them. To save money, I would like to take them at a community college, but will this be looked at unfavorably? I plan to take as much of them concurrently as possible so that it is more representative of my ability to handle a rigorous course load. Finally, I took two quarters off after my junior year to deal with my earlier mentioned family issues, but didn't really explain the absence or my poor grades in my personal statement. I wanted to stay on topic and express why I want to be a PA, not why my college career was turbulent. I do include an explanation in the supplemental applications, but it poses a particular problem if the program does not require a sup. ap. Please let me know if you think this is something I should include in my personal statement?

Thank you so much for your time.

Hello- thank you for your response and advice! I just have a couple more questions. First, I have received only one C+ and that was in organic chemistry, however this upcoming semester I am taking biochemistry and plan on doing much better in that class. Will the organic chemistry be overlooked in a way if I do better in biochemistry? Also, I know there are accelerated nursing programs. If I did that for a year, would those grades and that schooling help my chances for getting into pa school or would it be better to just work for a year? Also, my grades like I said in my last post are very consistent B range grades from my easiest/100 level biology to genetics and a&p 1. Then, my a&p2 and 300 level biology classes were A's and A-'s, displaying an upward trend. If I keep this upward trend going and receive A's in these next 2 semesters, as an admissions director would you consider me competitive for pa school? Thank you again!

Hello,

I am currently a pre-med and chemical engineering student considering a career in the physician assistant field. I have a few questions and would be very thankful if you could answer some of them for me.

1) The state I live in doesn't have a top rated PA program. Is this going to hinder me when attempting to find a job?

2) How much does my major in undergraduate affect getting into PA school as well as finding a job afterwards? I believe I would equally enjoy chemical engineering and nutrition as a major. Will one major be better than another when it comes to future goals?

I cannot think of anymore at the time, but if you could answer these two questions for me, I would be forever grateful.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn

My cumulative GPA is great, a 3.7-ish, my science GPA is 2.8 but I have more Science courses left to take and it can greatly increase my science GPA. How do PA schools evaluate cumulative GPA and what would your perspective be of an applicant who has showed steady increase in their grade from a low science GPA?

@justbeachy Thank you for your questions. I would probably recommend retaking more than just A&P and Microbiology to help boost your GPA. If you were to consider taking courses like genetics, general chemistry I and II, organic chemistry I and/or biochemistry, I think it may help your chances a little more. In my opinion, it will help prove to the committee your potential now and that you're making strides to prepare for the PA curriculum. I always recommend a 4 year institution because it ensures that you're taking these courses at the highest level offered. Courses like chemistry I and II are within a college transfer program so may be ok taking them at a CC, but to be safe, aim for a 4 year school if possible. I hope this helps and please respond if you have any further questions.

@JLChy If you've only scored one C in the prerequisites I dont think it will hurt you too bad, but make sure your prerequisite GPA is in line with what is required from the programs you're applying to. If you do better in biochemistry and org. chemistry is required I don't think it will "replace" your organic grades, but it will definitely help you be competitive. In regards to your academic performance improving, yes, seeing an upward trend in grades is always important when considering an applicant so keep doing well--it can only help you.

I'm not a big fan of recommending students to go down the "nursing" route just to gain entry into a PA program. If there is an accelerated CNA or nursing assistant program that will help you get a certification, which in turn would help you your HCE, then I would recommend that path. It's not frowned upon by most programs for you to take time off after you graduate to gain hours. It's a great way to gain real life experience. Hope this helps.

@kwarre11 Thank you for your questions. Be careful with relying on if a program's "rank" determines if it's a good program or not. The best way to see if it is actually a good program is to set up a visit or go to an open house if they have those. Take the time to research the program and see if they 1-are accredited (if so, that's always a good thing-they're doing things right) 2- their PANCE pass rate is comparable to the national average 3-what may be unique about that program versus the other programs you're considering. I am a firm believer that many programs are overlooked because too many people put too much weight in rankings.

2- Most programs, if not all program, don't have a degree requirement. As long you complete your bachelor's degree and the medical prerequisites required for the programs you should be fine. Do what interest you while also planning to meet prerequisites if you're able to fit them in.

Hope this helps!!

@kratos23 Thank you for your questions. If you were to apply to our program I would recommend continuing that upward trend in your sciences-it can only help you- but also consider going back and retaking the science courses (that would be required) to boost that prerequisite GPA. You would have to be in a range of 3.2-3.4 with our prerequisites to be competitive with the applicant pool I'm seeing this year, even if you have a 3.7 oGPA. Hope this helps and keep working hard!

Hi,

I have recently graduated from Pre-PA program that prepares students for PA school. My problem is that when I first attended college 15-20 years ago I didn't speak English and earned very poor grades- I didn't know better and made many mistakes. My overall GPA is 2.87 but at my last school that I graduated from with BS in Pre-PA my GPA is 3.9. My overall science GPA is 3.27 and I have taken all upper level Science classes including Organic 1,2; both Physics, Biochem, Microbiology, Head and Neck, extremities Anatomy, Pathophys, Physical examination..... in which all I have A's in. I have way too many credit hours, therefor it would take significant amount of classes to raise my GPA to a 3.0 and not many choices to choose from. I have a strong clinical experience: EKG tech -8,000 hours. I am currently PCT in ED trying to expand my clinical experience. I also volunteer at Good news clinic sometimes.

My GRE scores are weak 141v/ 148 m so I am trying to retake it in order to increase the score.

In your opinion, what else can I do to improve my chances?

Thank you

@mariadev Thank you for your questions. I'm hopeful programs will consider your most recent work and also your prerequisite GPA, if they extract these classes for a separate GPA. You've got great experience and yes, I would recommend retaking the GRE to improve your scores. I recommend a few things to consider:

-Make reference in your personal statement the language barrier you faced when you first started school. That provides some insight into why your GPA is a little lower.

-You may also want to reevaluate your grades in the prerequisites required for your programs. Although you've taken upper level science courses make sure they match up with what's required and what you've performed well in.

-Finally, maybe consider a masters level program in the sciences to prove your ability in a masters program.

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for responding! I didn't even think about pre-req. GPA- just calculated for one of the programs and came up with 3.59. I was thinking about masters level too, just little concerned that it won't change my GPA since CASPA doesn't include graduate work into their GPA calculations. Do you think it's still worth doing?

@maraidev I do think it's worth pursing after you retake the GRE. If your current GRE scores are in a competitive range then go for it, but if not, wait until you retake to see where you stand. Our program weighs the prereq GPA and GRE scores pretty heavily vs. the other selection factors so make sure that holds true with the programs that interest you. Your prereq GPA, in my opinion, is competitive. Thanks!

Thank you so much for answering questions. My question is related to attire for the interview. Based on my gut and researching info on the subject a suit is the way to go. My question is how do you handle a 2 day interview? The first day which is comprised of informational sessions, amPA lecture, and a PA student panel. The second day is the actual interview. I do have 2 suit options, one for each day, but is that going to be to formal for the first day? I don't want to blow a great first impression by not being professional enough, but don't want to come off to stuffy. Your thoughts or suggestions would be great.

@djdanx Thank you for your question. I don't think there is a specific way to prepare for a group session because all scenarios given at different programs will be different. However, I'm assuming the bottom line is that they're evaluating how you work with others. What we look for in our group session is how you work with others, how your personality fits with others, and do you have a personality that would be destructive to the class moral or ultimately the profession. We also look for leaders and how you interact with others, but we don't hold it against someone if they tend to have a quiet or shy personality. Be prepared to be confident, but not arrogant, be open minded, and be accepting of others opinions although you may not agree with their opinion or actions. I hope this little bit helps!

@lbs Thank you for your questions. I would recommend you wear a suit both days unless told otherwise. I would rather an applicant be over dressed than too casual. If you're really concerned about the "informal" day you may want to email the admissions person and double check with them the formality of day 1. However, I would aim high and dress in a suite for both days if you're hesitant to ask. Hope this helps and good luck on your interview!

I have a 2.8 cGPA on CASPA, because I've repeated some courses as an undergrad, and I'm currently a postbac student with a 3.6 cGPA as a postbac. Since I have over 140 credits, increasing my GPA is very tough. I was a biochemistry major, and had one rough year that ruined everything. I ended up retaking the courses I did bad on, and earned mostly A's and some B+'s in the classes I retook.

I believe that everything else on my application is superb because of working 6+ years as a CNA, a decent GRE score, lots of volunteer hours, great deal of both science and clinical research, good LoR, leadership experience, plenty of volunteering, and I'm usually good with interviews.

After this next semester, if I continue getting A's in my classes, do you think that PA schools will look at me despite having a low GPA with an upward trend, because having so many credits already, means that it will take me a very long time to get my GPA to even a 3.2?

@g10757 Thank you for your question. Make sure you meet with your advisor or program director to discuss how to withdraw from the program in which you're currently enrolled. You want to make sure they may be able to write a letter of recommendation to submit for your next CASPA application. It's always best to make sure you're leaving in good standing so there are not any questions from future programs as to why you withdrew or that verifies you were no academically dismissed. I don't think there are many programs that would grant you advanced placement so beware you may have to start over.

@sungsam..Interesting question and probably a very difficult one to answer. I would imagine most programs want to see what you can bring to the program as far as your background, your work ethic, ability to work with others and maybe a particular interest in a field of medicine that is in line with the mission of the program (i.e. primary care, if that is an interest of yours). You don't want to be perceived as over confident that you're the best person who's ever interviewed with that particular program, but do line up your answer with the mission/vision of the program. I hope this helps a little.

@aquaporin Thank you for your question. Yes, it is very difficult to raise an overall GPA and at least from our program's standpoint, we do look at an upward and look at your most recent 30-60 hours. My opinion I would hope other schools may consider the upward trend, your prerequisite GPA and all the other factors that you've listed above. That being said, you may want to consider setting up an appointment with those programs to see if you should apply. I think since you've retaken a lot of classes it should improve your chances, but check with them first. I hope this helps.