Why the ER?

I chose emergency medicine for a few reasons. First off, I had most of my medical experience in EMS, which always was a perfect fit for me, I loved that each day was different and even amongst the monotony, I always felt challenged. I worked in a few other areas in medicine prior to PA school (as a medical assistant in a family practice office, at a summer camp), areas outside of medicine (911 operator and dispatcher) and in offices as a PA (urgent care/FP and urgent care/occupational medicine). In EM, I see my patients, take care of them, they are admitted or discharged and I go home at the end of the night without having to further think about work. It allows me to completely separate my work and private life. I find that this type of set up makes me the happiest. I'm still doing what I love, but I can have a life outside of work - no weekend/weeknight call, no worrying about my office drama, no worrying about an office running smoothly, making money, etc. EM is not for everyone, though. I would say, try to into school with an open mind, you may find a different area of medicine that you had never considered before.

I chose emergency medicine for a few reasons. First off, I had most of my medical experience in EMS, which always was a perfect fit for me, I loved that each day was different and even amongst the monotony, I always felt challenged. I worked in a few other areas in medicine prior to PA school (as a medical assistant in a family practice office, at a summer camp), areas outside of medicine (911 operator and dispatcher) and in offices as a PA (urgent care/FP and urgent care/occupational medicine). In EM, I see my patients, take care of them, they are admitted or discharged and I go home at the end of the night without having to further think about work. It allows me to completely separate my work and private life. I find that this type of set up makes me the happiest. I'm still doing what I love, but I can have a life outside of work - no weekend/weeknight call, no worrying about my office drama, no worrying about an office running smoothly, making money, etc. EM is not for everyone, though. I would say, try to into school with an open mind, you may find a different area of medicine that you had never considered before.

- I wear pajamas to work

- I can listen to whatever I want to, music-wise, at my work station

- I work 3 days a week

- ER folks have the right sense of humor for the job

- I love being able to say, "That's something you should follow-up with your primary care provider about"

- Every day has a theme, and no day is the same

- Making the difference in those first few minutes in a truly emergent situation feels great

Archived