2020-2021 Application Cycle

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Kamelia said:

I just got an email saying that they received my verified CASPA application. It says that interviews will be held in October, November, and January with invites for interviews going out beginning in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got an email saying they got my GRE scores. I took it on may 4th and applied that week as well. Thats all I received 😅😔

I just got an email saying they got my GRE scores. I took it on may 4th and applied that week as well. Thats all I received [emoji28][emoji17]

I got the GRE email as well. Looks like they may email us concerning each part (CASPA app, GRE, supplemental app, and supplemental fee) [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Phoenixfire24 said:

I am a second year PA student at South. Let me know if anyone has any questions!

How diverse is the program and faculty? How is the curriculum so far with the CoVID changes in place? What do you like most about the program?

Thanks for offering to answer questions for us!

19 hours ago, NOLAPALady said:

How diverse is the program and faculty? How is the curriculum so far with the CoVID changes in place? What do you like most about the program?

Thanks for offering to answer questions for us!

As far as diversity of the faculty, we currently have one full time male professor and several female professors, but they all range in different areas of interest to include neurosurgery, trauma, ER, oncology, GYN internal medicine, etc.  I know they are hiring for other professors at this time. To be honest, you could not ask for a better faculty.  They will push you, but they care about you as a person and care about your success. Our director,  Ms. Mcgilvray is amazing and works very hard to create successful students and a successful program, and she tries to instill in us to be active about our profession. She even made sure that we got a grant as 1 of 10 schools in the country to run a pilot program for substance abuse training this summer.

For the diversity of our class, our class currently consist of 9 men (?) and the rest females, and we have several races in our class. I think the class below us might have more diversity, but they are also a larger class of 60 where we only have 39.  

For online class, I would say it could be tougher if you don't have any discipline to make yourself study and to keep up with the material.  We are still attending class almost like usual on zoom this semester. so we are still a little regimented as similar to attending class everyday on campus.  On the class below us, they are still able to get the skills they need because they are going on campus with small groups.  Downside for lower class is they missed out on human cadaver dissection which I enjoyed.  

Honestly, my favorite thing about our program is our amazing faculty and director.  They are very supportive and genuine and care about us as a student and about our success, and they are all approachable.  If you need help, they are there to provide it. If you even just need an open ear to talk too or a shoulder to cry on, they make time for you.  Our director of clinical education always has a smile on her face, and other professors just really have a love for teaching which is nice.

Edited by Phoenixfire24

9 hours ago, mave6 said:

Are there community service or service learning opportunities? 

It depends on what type of community service or learning opportunity you might want.  

1) Both myself and another male student in our class applied for and were chosen to participate in AHEC last year.  You basically take extra classes and have to participate in at least 40 hours of community service. For example, we spent a day on the local Indian Reservation and spent several days educating elderly on several diseases processes. They describe it as follows on their site:.

AHEC Scholars will be selected for a two-year commitment from among a variety of health professions programs, including medicine, dentistry, nursing, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, public health, social work and more.

AHEC Scholars will engage in team-based clinical experiences providing care to vulnerable and underserved patients in settings such as homeless shelters, free clinics, community health centers, health fairs, and more.

AHEC Scholars will learn together as interprofessional teams, completing both didactic and clinical training over and above their regular curricula with a focus on preparing them to care for Alabama’s medically needy populations.

2) You will have an opportunity to sign up for a medical mission.  CMMSA (Christian Medical Ministry of South Alabama) came to us last fall to see if we had interest to participate in a medical mission through the school.  Both three other students and I went to Costa Rica in December, and it was AMAZING.  Plus afterwards, you can participate in local missions and bible study.  I think this year we might be doing to the Dominican Republic.

3). Each PA school class must also fundraise for a class philanthropy project.  Basically you chose a local charity to raise money during your whole first year, and at the end of the year, you throw a large charity event to do a crawfish boil and action event. Ours was canceled due to covid, but we chose to support Veteran's Resources Benefits which our Director of Clinical Education, Mrs Erin Lunn is heavily involved with.  If you like philanthropy, then I would recommend running for philanthropy chair of your class.

4). Lastly, I am sure there are others ways to volunteer around Mobile.  A friend in my class introduced me to Junior League of Mobile, and I applied for membership and will start my inaugural year next month.  If you are a woman wanting to volunteer and learn leadership, it would be a great opportunity.   They host yearly seminars of all types, have leadership classes, and have plenty of volunteer opportunities. As a new member, you will have the obligation to volunteer so many shifts and attend so many meetings during the year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything from this program? The email I received in July letting me know I was verified stated this:

Interviews will be held in October, November, and January.  For those selected, invitations for interviews will be emailed from September up until the final interview date.  All applicants should know their application status by February.

I am assuming because of COVID that things are pushed back for most schools' admissions processes.

6 hours ago, megzel96 said:

Has anyone heard anything from this program? The email I received in July letting me know I was verified stated this:

Interviews will be held in October, November, and January.  For those selected, invitations for interviews will be emailed from September up until the final interview date.  All applicants should know their application status by February.

I am assuming because of COVID that things are pushed back for most schools' admissions processes.

I haven't received a thing from USA. Well except the email you stated.

Edited by Kirby219
  • Like 1