Advice for 2021 Cycle

Looking for some advice- I plan on applying the 2021 cycle but I’m a bit neurotic and really just need to plan out everything ahead of time.

My cgpa and sgpa will both be around a 3.25 (currently taking post bacc classes) if I continue with an upwards trend. I should have around 2000-3000 PCE by the time I apply, I’m currently an ER scribe, volunteer EMT.

I have about 30 PA shadowing hours but I work with a lot more pa’s in the ER now so I’ll be shadowing them; I've done some other pce work like PT aid, I also went on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua through Global Medical Brigades and worked in a community health clinic. 

Will also be taking the GRE soon.

I guess I’m just very afraid of getting denied, idk if I should continue to take classes at cc and boost my gpa even more (super hard bc I messed up my first two years of college) or should I do a masters? My gpa is holding me back a lot, I am trying to shine in other aspects of my app but I’m a bit lost and I just know that I want to be a PA more than anything. Are there any specific schools any of you would recommend looking more into? Anything else I can do to better my chances/ app? If you have any insight please lmk!!

Lol I laugh because you sound like me. My advice is this, do everything that you can. You want to know that you gave it 1000% when you apply. If you have the time to volunteer more, then volunteer more. If you can shadow the recommended 3 PAs in 3 different specialties, then do that. Or go for more! Give it all that you can. Go really hard for this application if you want to get accepted. 

22 minutes ago, MedIsLifePA said:

Lol I laugh because you sound like me. My advice is this, do everything that you can. You want to know that you gave it 1000% when you apply. If you have the time to volunteer more, then volunteer more. If you can shadow the recommended 3 PAs in 3 different specialties, then do that. Or go for more! Give it all that you can. Go really hard for this application if you want to get accepted. 

haha, I will definitely give it my all; I do plan on committing to a lot more pce and hce, Thanks for your input!!

Anonnm,

First off If you want this, don't be afraid to get a rejection - its part of the process.

Next - its hard to advise what to do different now knowing ALL the CASPA application so I hit some points to consider.

1 - Look at the schools PRE REQs and calculate your GPA vs that.  I had an overall just under 3.5, however for most of the schools I applied, I had a 3.6 - 3.8 for Prereq's.  I had one C my entire college career, however it was a pre req for a few schools, not all.  Schools rank usually by Prereq GPA first, Cum GPA second.  That way they can compare 1:1 not a Pre Med student to a Basket Weaver (no offense anyone) degree who took the min pre reqs.

2 - Look at your overall CAPSA application and make sure EVERYTHING is in prior to verification.  Long story short 2 yrs ago I thought CASPA would update items sent once verified (one example - Degree was conferred on Aug 3rd, application was verified prior for Aug 1 deadlines, CAPSA stated application would be updated - however sent OLDER version to schools)  I had 11 applications and only 2 interviews.  This cycle everything was completed prior to verification.  11 applications, 8 interviews.  Did I add classes or change GPA, no.  Did I complete a lot more PCE hours, not really.  Did I change my essay, only very minor.   What was the main difference - I had everything in so that the schools got the full completed package.  You mentioned you are taking the GRE.  Get that done and submitted prior to verification

3 - Rejections and what schools to apply to.  What is funny is I applied to schools I figured I'd have a great shot with (compare stats) that I was rejected at.  I had schools I know were a Long Shot with my Pre Req GPA and Cum GPA that I was accepted at.  It didn't make sense why I was rejected when my stats were well above average and accepted where I didn't think I had a shot - why some evaluator saw something that they either liked or disliked and that made a difference.  You cannot predict who will see your application.  So I will use a quote by the Great One Wayne Gretzky "You will miss 100% of the shots you don't take".  If you don't apply cause you think you may get a rejection, then you will never get in.  Would you not apply for a job you wanted for fear of being rejected?   This is a business, don't take things personal and don't be afraid to hear no. 

3 - If this is what you want keep at it.  This was my third cycle.  My first was 3 schools while I was still in school.  Second was right at the completion of my clinicals.  I will be a PA as I was accepted at several schools and just got another interview.  I'm not trying to brag, I want to show people that you can do this if you stay with it.

Hopefully that helps, expect to get a few rejections going after that one acceptance.

Good luck and stay positive.

Edited by PA-Candidate
spelling
  • Like 1