New grad offer Bronx, NYC

Outpatient primary care office in the Bronx, NYC with 90% adult 10% children ages 5 and up.

Salary: $96,000

Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00am-6:00pm with 2 Saturdays a month from 9:00am-3:00pm

"Working hours are scheduled with the practice and are subject to change at anytime, based on business demands" need a little clarity on that because a bit concerned they can keep me even later than the proposed working hours.

Expected to see 20-25 patients a day

2 weeks PTO + 1 week CME with $1000 stipend + 4 paid sick days that begins to accumulate after 180 days

Paid holidays

"Malpractice covered"

Health and Dental

"Expected to work for a course of 2 years"

I want to negotiate this offer. They sent me a letter of intent with these details which I will have to sign and then will sign a formal contract at a later date.

Yes, the CME is low, 401k is missing despite it being said during the interview, and there is a possibility my employer will want me to sign a 2-year contract.

My commute will also be atrocious, around 1 hour and 30 minutes via public transport from where I live. I plan to learn to drive soon in the upcoming months which can make the commute a bit more bearable. I cannot relocate any closer at this time. It'll only be 1-2 years so by then I'll be leaving the position if i cannot relocate any closer.

Please advise me on what is a reasonable counter-offer.

An hour & 30 minutes twice daily via public transportation is going to old quickly.   You would need to leave at 7am & not get home till after 7:30 at night?  I don't live in NY but driving in to the city what is the cost to park?  In Boston easily $50/day.  I would think the salary would need to be over 100,000 to compensate for all this. 

Not sure there is a reasonable counter offer that wouldn't be a complete rewrite of the contract.

When you work a Saturday do you get an additional day off during that week or the following?

If the COL is factored in then the salary is simply too low. I'd be looking for around 108k in a med-large city in the PNW. 

20-25 patients per day is absolutely ridiculous as a new grad. 2 weeks PTO is too low.

Sorry OP, I wouldn't even bother with a counteroffer. Keep looking would be my advice.

*Edit*

And God the COMMUTE?! I did an hour each way for 11 shifts/mo and hated my life, can't imagine it 5 days a week.

Edited by MediMike

17 hours ago, MediMike said:

Not sure there is a reasonable counter offer that wouldn't be a complete rewrite of the contract.

When you work a Saturday do you get an additional day off during that week or the following?

If the COL is factored in then the salary is simply too low. I'd be looking for around 108k in a med-large city in the PNW. 

20-25 patients per day is absolutely ridiculous as a new grad. 2 weeks PTO is too low.

Sorry OP, I wouldn't even bother with a counteroffer. Keep looking would be my advice.

*Edit*

And God the COMMUTE?! I did an hour each way for 11 shifts/mo and hated my life, can't imagine it 5 days a week.

I couldn't agree more. You spoke my mind. I would absolutely NOT take this offer especially in NY. There are too many red flags. I feel the numbers just don't add up to point where you can even consider countering it. You work 192 hours/month x 12  months= 2304 hours/year. 96000/2304 = $41.66/hr. 

Plus, 20-25 patients a day is a lot for a new grad, which means they are not big on teaching. It could also mean you are looking at doing some charting at home. Plus, that commute....I think all of it will add up to a recipe of burnout!

Edited by futurepa588