Sign in to follow this  
Pwulf28

Athletic Training Grad Student applying for PA school

Hey all,

I am currently a 1st year graduate student for athletic training. I am looking into become a PA. Looking to withdraw from my program to pursue PA prerequisites but not sure if this was a good idea. Or if I should complete my program then complete prerequisites. Thanks!

Edited by Pwulf28

I know an AT who got a job making 80K plus as a PE in an ortho urgent care. So if you like that kinda stuff, might be worth sticking it out. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2019 at 4:26 PM, mooredc said:

I know an AT who got a job making 80K plus as a PE in an ortho urgent care. So if you like that kinda stuff, might be worth sticking it out. 

What state ?

On 11/14/2019 at 3:28 PM, Pwulf28 said:

Hey all,

I am currently a 1st year graduate student for athletic training. I am looking into become a PA. Looking to withdraw from my program to pursue PA prerequisites but not sure if this was a good idea. Or if I should complete my program then complete prerequisites. Thanks!

This was literally me to a tee. Realized I wanted to go PA halfway through school. I stuck it out and not only got a job I enjoy while doing prerequisites and applying, but also showed I could excel in a masters level curriculum. I was very close to doing what you’re about to do, but I’m happy I stuck it out. Also gave me great ortho experience for my future in PA school. If you can get a job making as much as the above poster then that’s pretty good though. I haven’t heard of salaries that high for ATs. 

We have two AT's in our program who said there is no money in AT at all even with a Master's. From what they were saying it was tough to find anything over $50k. 

Again, only what I've heard them say.

1 hour ago, JD2012 said:

We have two AT's in our program who said there is no money in AT at all even with a Master's. From what they were saying it was tough to find anything over $50k. 

Again, only what I've heard them say.

I agree with this. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Happyespy567
      HI! I am a current student looking to gain clinical experience as a medical scribe but am not sure where to start! I have tried to do my own research but every site I find seems to offer jobs once I am certified ( which I am not) . I want to make sure I take the correct steps and having someone I could come to with questions would be extremely helpful! thanks in advance ! 
    • By Madison34213
      Hi, just to give some background, I am a 22 y/o make and a senior at the university of Tennessee @ Knoxville majoring in history and minoring in chemistry. I was originally set on going the MD route until I was recently introduced to the inner workings of the PA career and am now very interested. I am looking for any advice on how to improve my resume as well as schools which I fit the criteria for. I am interested in the northeastern portion of the US as well as Chicago but am open to recommendation. Thank you in advance to any advice 

I have yet to take the GRE, but I have no doubts that I will perform well with diligence and hard work.
      My resume: 
      History Major
      Chemistry minor 
      3.65 gpa 
      3.4 sgpa
      300 hours of very meaningful volunteer work in a rural and very low income southern town over the course of two summers 
      100 hours at 1hr per week in underfunded elementary school nursing clinics performing first aid and essentially fulfilling the role of absent nurses 
      50 hours of providing medical care to rural villages in the Dominican Republic
      240 hours as a CNA during the summer of my sophomore year
      currently scribing at a level 1 trauma center as an ED scribe with a projected 1300 hours as of the time that I will apply 
      Vice President of Clinic Vols: the organization providing first aid in elementary schools, as Vice President I do a lot of management type work as well as provide and dictate first aid training to around 100 people a semester.
      Vice President of Global medical training chapter: help plan and coordinate a Medical trip to the Dominican as well as involvement in recruitment. 

1 yr of molecular biophysics research at Oak ridge national laboratory, specially focusing on drug development in the case of poly cystic kidney disease, CKD, and Barth syndrome as they relate to the protein Taffazin and it’s interaction with cardiolipin. 

im also from a small rural town in middle Tennessee if they has any significance. 

• By milery
      Hello, I graduated last year with a 2.6 GPA and my science GPA is 2.4. I have two D's, I am retaking one of those two D at a community college ( organic chemistry) the other D is in ecology in which I may not retake tbh because I didn't enjoyed the class. I registered for organic chemistry 2 to help my Sgpa but my dilemma is this.... my financial situation is starting to stress me out. I cant afford to take hard core science classes ( like I originally planned) in a degree that doesn't lead to a guaranteed career (biotechnology). so I thought of either medical laboratory technician or lpn.  I thought of these because #1 cheaper and faster option, #2 mlt has always sparked my interest and #3 I'm a cna ( almost 4 years) and I work closely with a lpn.  the lpn option I'm looking at is a certificate option because is only one year. my whole goal in this is to help my GPA and also have a career. I don't mind continuing to build my PA  application after this but I wanna make sure if doing any of these route will help me and not become a waste of time. 
      if you guys have any other suggestions please let me know. the biotechnology degree I can finish it in a year but what if after that I'm still not a strong applicant? then I'm stuck with another degree... no career 
      I don't care how long it takes to become a PA! I'm 24 years old and I already have a lot of financial baggage. I want to make a smart decision  
    • By magboo
      So I finally got a job at my dream hospital!! I am currently working there as a Patient Care Technician/ PCT. However, I will be leaving for PA school next year. I really want to return to this hospital and work as a PA! The problem is that getting a job at my hospital is super competitive. Is there a way for me to ensure/ increase my chances of getting a PA job in this facility in the future?

(Also, what do you guys think of requesting a absense of leave instead of quitting? Can I be able to come back to the hospital to pursue a higher position?)

Thanks in advance!
    • By DP011
      Hello,
      I am currently struggling to decide which field I want to pursue ( Master's in Health Administration  vs Physician Assistant). I want to interact with patients but I also want to focus on managing hospitals and program implementation. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do that could expose my to both of my interests or if one has a higher job demand than the other? Any feedback is appreciated! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More