Advice - New Grad PA Seeking Job in Michigan

Hello my fellow PAs,

I am a newly graduated PA living in Michigan. I did not expect the job search to be easy.... but I also didn't expect it to be this hard. I have not had ANY luck with jobs. I live near Ann Arbor, and almost everything is owned by a major hospital system in this area and basically anywhere in Southeast Michigan (U of M, St. Joe's, IHA, Beaumont, Henry Ford, etc.). I have applied for many jobs, and cannot get a response from anyone. I have tried directly calling offices, emailing the recruiter numbers on websites, etc. and have had no luck. Does anybody know of any opportunities in Michigan for new grad PAs or have any advice? I am mostly interested in Orthopedics and Family Medicine, but would also welcome opportunities in Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, or Urgent Care.

I was offered one job but the benefits were terrible and it was in an undesirable location so I had to decline it unfortunately.

Thank you in advanced!

Look rural and in the Upper Peninsula.  You might find an FQHC or rural access hospital and get an ER/UC position.  While maybe not your ideal location it's still in Michigan.  Or you could look in Northern MI before you cross the bridge to the promise land, the UP.

I love the UP.  

New grad here also. I’m honestly surprised there aren’t more posts like this here. I’m assuming people only post when they finally get an offer, otherwise no point. 90% of my cohort has been unable to land a job and its been nearly three months. Several of them are even looking in 2-4 states. Various techniques for following up, cover letter and CV format have been attempted, same results. I myself have a search area spanning 6 states in the Midwest. Applied to many jobs in nearly any specialty to speak of, only one interview in 8 weeks (still in negotiation and hopeful). Oddly enough, family medicine of all things has been the most challenging to find (apparently that’s what we were trained for). 99% of jobs I come across are not new grad friendly. Some subtle about it, others not so much. I commonly see (in all caps) “NO NEW GRADS” “NP PREFERRED” “NEW GRADS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED”. And as you stated, typically no response to applications. I’m beginning to wonder if it’s safe to assume we are encountering some kind of glut in the job market for new grad PAs? GL.

Check https://acemapp.org/ if you have not already.  There were 20+ jobs just in FM in the lower mid to northern lower peninsula (I don't search any further south than Central Michigan). I also see a lot of jobs in the south west through Bronson Hospital. You may need to broaden your search.   Some of the smaller town clinics are great learning environments for a new grad in FM.  I know at least two PAs that are at still at their first jobs since graduation 13 years ago. 

On 11/6/2019 at 6:36 PM, enm004 said:

I was offered one job but the benefits were terrible and it was in an undesirable location so I had to decline it unfortunately.

Ignoring the portion that I crossed out, this is unacceptable as a new grad.  What is an "undesirable location?"  The point is that you live in one of the most sought after cities in Michigan.  Of course that isn't ubiquitous, but as a new grad PA you likely are going to struggle to find a job in that immediate area.  Are you searching the entire state and what area of medicine?

• Like 1

I live in West Michigan. Spoke with new grads from my program and they talked about how difficult the market has been for them. Poor placement by graduation time.

The SE area has been saturated for awhile. Honestly expanding your geographic search is probably the key unless you’re willing to take a less than desirable spot, like the one you turned down.

One of my favorite old chestnuts I trot out from time to time. The more you limit your options the more you limit your options. I have heard many people complain about not being able to find a job in pediatric nanosurgery in an oversaturaded market because that is where they want to be and that is what they want to do. well...we all choose based on our personal currency.

I want to eat and pay my bills and maybe have a little fun along the way.

I have heard untold people complain about finding work in dallas and it is one of the most oversaturaded markets in the country. Meanwhile literally hundreds and hundreds of jobs in rural and under served areas all over Texas go unfilled. Choice meet consequences.

Widen your circle and open you mind. Consider something and somewhere you have never imagined before.