How good does DUKE really look on a resume for new grads?

I interviewed at Dukes PA program this week and was not as impressed as I wish I had been. Now obviously you only get to know a program so well on an interview day, but what unimpressive was their facilities and the lack of technology they use to teach their students. Faculty seemed very supportive. Now my question is how much weight does the DUKE name have on a new grads resume when applying to jobs? Another program I've been accepted to has excellent PANCE rates and incredibly new facilites with awesome simulation technology, which might really help my preparation. Both feel like they could be a good fit, but I'm interested to know if the DUKE name will help me find a better job with higher salary. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

In my experience the only difference in the school on your transcript is the student loans that you are paying - assuming you passed the PANCE.  Could there be a situation where an employer recognizes the name and there is a connection which helps you get a job?  Sure, but in general...no.

My recommendation is to attend the least expensive QUALITY school you can.  Now, you have to decide what quality means.  I went to a newer program for school (second class), and while there were growing pains during didactic year overall it was good.  But, I chose the school for 2 reasons...it was linked to a large medical school within a hospital system and because the tuition was VERY reasonable.  So, while didactic had its struggles, the rotations were AWESOME!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I suspect the advantage from Duke would be rotational placement. They have an extremely large alumni network and that may get you good rotations, place you in situations where you are offered a job, and place you in an area you would like to live/practice. That is not negligible, especially considering that 2nd year placement is becoming more and more challenging for all programs. Most of your didactic learning will be done on your own time. Bells and whistles are nice and may help out here or there, but I would encourage you to focus on tuition cost, prior PANCE pass rates, and rotational placement/job placement after graduation.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FuturePA55 said:

I interviewed at Dukes PA program this week and was not as impressed as I wish I had been. Now obviously you only get to know a program so well on an interview day, but what unimpressive was their facilities and the lack of technology they use to teach their students. Faculty seemed very supportive. Now my question is how much weight does the DUKE name have on a new grads resume when applying to jobs? Another program I've been accepted to has excellent PANCE rates and incredibly new facilites with awesome simulation technology, which might really help my preparation. Both feel like they could be a good fit, but I'm interested to know if the DUKE name will help me find a better job with higher salary. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Shhhhhhhhh...... it’s Duke! Just saddle up with the debt as part of the conventional wisdom. Then go work for a doctor that had a worse undergrad GPA than you did that went to med school in the Caribbean, and makes many times more than you do. Wear your Duke sweatshirt around the office. That will make your SP feel jealous! He will need to take vacations all the time, and drive around in cars that cost more than your yearly salary, just to get over his envy!

All jest aside, I once had a friend who wanted to go to an expensive NP program at an exclusive school to fill a hole in their heart where an exclusive alma mater would apparently go. I convinced this person otherwise, and they purchased a new luxury SUV with the difference upon graduating from a cheaper NP program. Turns out that same hole where an elite alma mater goes is also one where a nice vehicle can fit perfectly.  

Edited by Lightspeed