Licensing Timeline

Just curious to hear from WA PAs: how long did it take to get your license? I’m a new grad and had all my documents in a couple weeks ago, and still haven’t heard anything. My new job is supposed to start in 3 weeks and I’m starting to get concerned, and getting anyone on the phone at the medical commission office seems to be impossible.

Thanks!

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ak004 said:

Just curious to hear from WA PAs: how long did it take to get your license? I’m a new grad and had all my documents in a couple weeks ago, and still haven’t heard anything. My new job is supposed to start in 3 weeks and I’m starting to get concerned, and getting anyone on the phone at the medical commission office seems to be impossible.

From the auto-answer email I just got from them yesterday:

"Thank you for contacting The Washington Medical Commission.  Your email is very important to us.  At this time due to short staffing and being amidst our peak season, our response time is approximately two weeks for inquiries.  Our Delegation Agreement turnaround time is currently 30 days.  Physician and Surgeon and Physician Assistant routine application are currently at 8-20 weeks for completion."

You may be out of luck. So, for that matter, might be I, as I was going to be picking up some per diem shifts for yet another place that's short staffed...

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, ak004 said:

Well that’s great. We made my start date based on the website info at the time I accepted the job (average time for processing approximately 45 days). It seems that info is out of date

Yeah. Wonderful of them to double our licensing fees AND severely decommit from previous throughput times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They are IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of. This is ridiculous. I have had my stuff submitted 5 weeks ago and tried contacting them 2x via voicemail and 2x via email. No replies. Any one else have any luck?

For some reason, when I log onto my Application Portal, the PA application isn't there anymore and there isn't an option to start a new application though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 10/20/2019 at 5:40 PM, 8123 said:

They are IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of. This is ridiculous. I have had my stuff submitted 5 weeks ago and tried contacting them 2x via voicemail and 2x via email. No replies. Any one else have any luck?

For some reason, when I log onto my Application Portal, the PA application isn't there anymore and there isn't an option to start a new application though. 

I emailed the medical commission on an issue unrelated to licensing or an investigation about two months ago, and have yet to hear back from them.

I submitted my application on 9/13,  the check cleared a week later and then about 3 weeks later I received an email for fingerprinting. Then silence... Finally, this last Friday, I was actually able to get someone on the phone. Lady was able to look me up: basically it takes about 45 days just for processing, then about 2 weeks to get on someone’s desk to review (this is when you’re notified about any missing documents ect)... I asked how long it takes to finally get the license assuming no documents are missing; about 1.5 weeks more to get the license. So I’m guessing I’ll get mine in 3 weeks. She explained that they are extremely busy  this time every year with all the new graduates (I’m not sure why they don’t plan for extra staff, this time every year). Good luck.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm late to the party, but here's an update for future readers of this thread. The commission has now established a simple online form for getting same-day approval of delegation agreement. I'm a new grad who was prevented from working for about 2 weeks beyond my start date until they put in this new system, so it was a game-changer for me.

https://wmc.wa.gov/licensing/applications-and-forms/physician-assistant-delegation-agreement