2019 PANRE Results and Recommendations

As a PA practicing in a subspecialty (Dermatology) since 2005 and ENT from 2001-2005, I sure would appreciate any insights on your 2019 PANRE experience / results and recommendations for test prep from those who have taken the 2019 PANRE.  Thank you all in advance.

Edited by dermpalw

55 minutes ago, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

image.thumb.png.da042b5633db1a3aaa8f875aba3a8206.png

Play the odds.

I hear that.  I've also seen posts from those who have taken PANRE in the past and said that the blueprint content may not correlate very closely with the allocations above as it relates to the actual test.  Maybe I'm wrong about that.  Either way, my hope was to hear from those who have taken PANRE in 2019 and what they found most helpful for preparation as well as how things went.  Thank you for your response.

Edited by dermpalw
clarify the point

As noted above, focus on the "big" areas - heart, lungs, MS, belly. The PANRE should be relatively similar to the PANCE. Students who have a hard time with one of these areas can struggle with the PANCE. Students who struggle with more than one of these areas usually do not pass. 

Also remember it's a primary care focused test - do not get into the minutiae of problems. Focus on common primary care problems and red flags.  

6 minutes ago, SHU-CH said:

As noted above, focus on the "big" areas - heart, lungs, MS, belly. The PANRE should be relatively similar to the PANCE. Students who have a hard time with one of these areas can struggle with the PANCE. Students who struggle with more than one of these areas usually do not pass. 

Also remember it's a primary care focused test - do not get into the minutiae of problems. Focus on common primary care problems and red flags.  

Thank you for sharing these pearls.  Good points. 

46 minutes ago, Cideous said:

^^^. It's been forever since I took the PANCE, but I found it to be infinitely easier then the PANRE which has become a real b*tch of a test over the years.

Interesting.  I would have thought it was the other way around.  Since it’s been a few years since my last PANRE, I was curious about that.

1 hour ago, Cideous said:

^^^. It's been forever since I took the PANCE, but I found it to be infinitely easier then the PANRE which has become a real b*tch of a test over the years.

Everyone's mileage probably varies. I'm 3 PANREs in and I thought they were about on par with the PANCE. 

Some of it probably has to do with life circumstances. When preparing for the PANCE, most people are doing only that - preparing for the PANCE. When preparing for the PANRE, most of the time you are doing other cool things like making mortgage payments, feeding kids in the middle of the night, getting your broken down car fixed, cutting the grass and maybe even seeing patients here and there.

I get nervous when we have a graduate who barely squeaks out a passing grade on the PANCE and then goes into a specialty. It's tough to find protected time to study out there in the real world. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, SHU-CH said:

When preparing for the PANCE, most people are doing only that - preparing for the PANCE. When preparing for the PANRE, most of the time you are doing other cool things like making mortgage payments, feeding kids in the middle of the night, getting your broken down car fixed, cutting the grass and maybe even seeing patients here and there.

So true.  Finding and utilizing the right resources to make the most of one’s study time is so important for these reasons.

I will make one suggestion.  I usually rent a hotel room VERY close to the testing station the day before I take the test and spend all day and most of the evening going over everything one more time in sections, but I ALWAYS save OB/GYN as the very last subject to cram in hours before the test.  I don't think I need to explain why lol

3 hours ago, Cideous said:

I will make one suggestion.  I usually rent a hotel room VERY close to the testing station the day before I take the test and spend all day and most of the evening going over everything one more time in sections, but I ALWAYS save OB/GYN as the very last subject to cram in hours before the test.  I don't think I need to explain why lol

Good suggestion!  I like it.

One thing that keeps coming up is the RoshReview.  I am definitely going to purchase access to that.

Does anyone know if the PANRE got updated like the PANCE did this year? 

To answer the OP's question, I found the PANRE to be pretty straightforward. I did well on the test and certainly found that after reading a vignette, if I was thinking about an answer before I had a chance to look down at the answer choices and that thought was one of the choices, it was correct (I didn’t change a single answer and you get feedback about the wrong ones). There were no tricks and there weren't even very many totally off the wall diagnoses. Go with your gut and I think you will do fine. 

Edited by printer2100
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 12:35 PM, printer2100 said:

To answer the OP's question, I found the PANRE to be pretty straightforward. I did well on the test and certainly found that after reading a vignette, if I was thinking about an answer before I had a chance to look down at the answer choices and that thought was one of the choices, it was correct (I didn’t change a single answer and you get feedback about the wrong ones). There were no tricks and there weren't even very many totally off the wall diagnoses. Go with your gut and I think you will do fine. 

Thank you for providing your feedback from taking the test.  That was exactly what I was looking for.  Do you mind sharing what resources you found most helpful when you were preparing for the test?   Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, printer2100 said:

I used the EMRAP Crunch Time series. They are 1-5 minute audio segments on several diseases organized by systems. They have a complete ER focused set and a lot in their primary care focused set. It isn’t free, but you get a year subscription to a great podcast also. 

Great info!  Thank you so much for sharing that.