washington post article on NPs -- PAs! submit your comments to the washington post!

article NPs planted in washingto post based of their good lobbying machine:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/nurse-practitioners-look-to-raise-profile-fill-gap-from-doctor-shortage/2012/05/12/gIQAHmHYLU_allComments.html?ctab=all_comments

logging-in and submitting comments to support our profession (I did it) is a good opportunity for us to promote our own profession.

JUST DO IT!!

kittryn

I have no problem with NPs as providers but WHY are articles about them always so misleading?

" These laws regulate everyone from dental hygienists to physician assistants up to nurse practitioners, who all hold graduate degrees in medical education." So they're putting themselves above PAs on the hierarchy now?

I have no problem with NPs as providers but WHY are articles about them always so misleading?

" These laws regulate everyone from dental hygienists to physician assistants up to nurse practitioners, who all hold graduate degrees in medical education." So they're putting themselves above PAs on the hierarchy now?

I know. that same sentence knocked mye up side 'da head and is partly what prompted me to write a comment.

but if this article bugs you or is misleading, don't just complain here -- write a comment correcting the misperception! use the NP's articleto promote our own profession!

Seems like the bashing of PA's is prevelant through all of nursing educatiuon. A few years back I attended an info session at a local RN school because I was thinking of getting that to help me get to PA, & during the session the director was explaining about the different health cate professions & lumped PA in the same group as MA's calling them "Doctor's helpers". I was pissed that she would marginalize the profession in that manner. She also made it a point to say that nurses do NOT follow doctor's orders, but instead practice nursing. The whole thing put me off.

While individual nurses can be great, the big orgs are generally all aholes pushing an agenda.

When they speak with patients, they tell everyone what superior medicine they practice. When they talk to the medical profession, they say "hands off, we practice nursing and not medicine." Great way to game the system.

..... She also made it a point to say that nurses do NOT follow doctor's orders, but instead practice nursing. The whole thing put me off.

I'd just laugh that off... They can "think" that all they want... The second they choose not to follow an order simply bring it to the medical affairs or Acha's attention.... Then just sit back and watch them squirm.

When I met with a professor at Azuza Pacific's accelerated BSN to NP program they talked down PA's and basically tried to have me believe PAs were mindless healthcare providers that were below NPs whom have limited abilities to write prescriptions to treat symptoms while ignoring the big picture as to the root cause of their patient's illness with little to no autonomy. Shortly after I laughed, ended the interview and walked out. The worst insult you can make against your profession is by insulting someone else's profession. Please remember that when replying to this article.

Or they won't care at all, because it's their job to take care of patients. Ive yet to hear any of my nursing instructors, precepters, or coworkers disparage the PA field. The few PAs that are hospitalists in places I do clinicals are very respectful and go out of their way to be helpful, and the nurses are the same way. The only aspect about the division between nurses and providers that I've been taught about is that they emphasize protecting your license, and advocate for your patient. Most of that is geared towards simply communicating, vs performing rote nursin actions and making a mistake that doesn't need to be made.

In my experience, that's how it is for the most part in the work environment. One of my side gigs is a free STD clinic where i share lead clinicians duties with a NP and she's awesome. We get/got along great. At another job (pre-pa) I worked under two RNs who ALWAYS picked my brain. They didn't want me to leave because I made them look good during chart rounds LOL. They were very appreciative of the collaborative work I did.

I think the vitreol comes from academics in the masters/doctoral arena who are so Gung Ho to displace everyone else in medicine that they start having a scarcity mentality. Sad to say some of us PAs can be uber defensive (guilty of this myself but kinda seeing the light) because we may feel we are losing ground in some areas and espouse to this mentality also. Perhaps the more prudent approach would be self elevation without pushing down the others. A win win type mentality. There's enough of the healthcare pie to go around.

So it may be accurate for us to state our training is superior (i think from a clinical hours standpoint, it is. And ill stake my prior experience against any NP who was a REAL RN prior) but in the public's eye it doesn't really matter does it? NPs are winning the PR battle. Even if we flood the Washington post with comments about we are better than them because of thus and such, I agree with PAMAC, it makes us look petty.

The problem is How do we get the Washington post and other wide circulating publications to write about US??!?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

My question is why can't we fund our own efficacy studies? Would it be so difficult to show that PAs in NC with no chart review have the same outcomes and MM as a more restrictive state. In nursing, I read countless articles about this from NPs and even more now about CRNAs with their opt out situation (the somewhat recent article in health affairs comes to mind). Then there is the press they get in national news outlets they give them awesome PR, for FREE! Or at least minimal cost if planted, because it is news they will make money reporting.

One good, sound study that showed minimal supervision (technically no supervision) is no worse than strict supervision would be worth 100x it's weight it gold and be a huge step in adopting a national/international scope of practice when it came time to meet with lawmakers.

Physasst, I believe you are involved in these types of studies. Have I just been missing these? Is there no one (including the aapa) that would fund it?

• 3 weeks later...
I know. that same sentence knocked mye up side 'da head and is partly what prompted me to write a comment.

but if this article bugs you or is misleading, don't just complain here -- write a comment correcting the misperception! use the NP's articleto promote our own profession!

Another logical fallacy in the NP promotion is that clinical bedside nursing experience prepares one for primary care. Most nurses work in a hospital setting which poorly exposes them to primary care dilemmas. For example, a nurse who might be great in an ICU post-cardiac surgery would have no experience in trying to diagnose a rash, a red eye, vaginal discharge, fever in an infant, seizure, an inflamed joint, or even a headache. Furthermore, the majority of NP's aren't trained in the full spectrum of primary care, and even those who are (family nurse practitioners) have woefully too few clinical hours.

Also, in my experience, NP students often have to "arrange their own" clinical rotations or preceptorships, which often results in extraordinarily informal teaching arrangements.

In contrast, all PA's are trained in the full spectrum of primary care, including pediatrics and obstetrics, oftentimes receiving as much pediatric training as medical students. And we go through formal rotations, usually with physician instructors,oftentimes directly alongside medical students. Our rotations Re typically 40-60 hours per week, whereas an NP student oftentimes spends only few hous each week in a clinical practice experience.

They have always put themselves above PAs....at least their union does....they are very happy and relaxed in their profession...one and done, nothing to prove b/c their orgs fight FOR them, making their professional life easier..

While individual nurses can be great, the big orgs are generally all aholes pushing an agenda.

When they speak with patients, they tell everyone what superior medicine they practice. When they talk to the medical profession, they say "hands off, we practice nursing and not medicine." Great way to game the system.

Gee I wish we had "big orgs" that would push an agenda for us.....instead of against us..

To PAMAC, I Agree. I've only witnessed the putting down of PA's by nurses in a non-nursing or admin role. The overwhelming majority of nurses actually working in the field are top notch & know the real deal.

Maybe we need orgs with some teeth and talons, so PAs won't appear to be the lapdogs of the medical profession...

Archived