Dietitian in ICU - Want to be a PA!

Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great week.

I've been a dietitian now for almost 7 years (times FLIES!), however, I've been thinking about perusing PA ever since I was in my dietetic internship. I went even as far as shadowing the top PA at the local hospital during my dietetic internship.

The PA plan kind of got pushed to the side due to life, getting full time dietitian jobs, advancing in my career and etc.  

The PA route has ALWAYS been on the back of my mind, and now more than ever. I am the main dietitian in the neurosurgical ICU at my hospital, and cover several ICU's. It is apparent how much medicine interests me and how I yearn to be able to do more clinically and for the patient. I work directly with PA's, MD's, nurses, therapists, etc. Does any know if this counts as direct patient care? Additionally, I review labs, provide tube feeding and diet/vitamins recommendations, create nutrition diagnoses, educate patients and families, and etc. 

Also, I am 30 years old, and likely have to retake some science courses, as they are now >10 years old. Need some encouragement that I am NOT too old to do this! 

Thanks in advanced! 

Ali 🙂

Not old at all there's a great pa on this forum that went back at age 58- if he didn't  decide to go Back imagine how many pts would miss out on his service.

Most pa schools require anatomy physiology to be 5,7 no more than 10 years old some community colleges have 8 unit a&p with lab courses that qualify as credit

Caspa allows you to categorize your experience as healthcare experience (cna, ma) and direct pt care(emt paramedic rn ) 

You have many shadowing experience hrs and healthcare exp hours that set you a part 

Pa schools love applicants that have a lot of success in their careers and you'd be able to teach your classmates about nutrition 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChristineQLe said:

Not old at all there's a great pa on this forum that went back at age 58- if he didn't  decide to go Back imagine how many pts would miss out on his service.

Most pa schools require anatomy physiology to be 5,7 no more than 10 years old some community colleges have 8 unit a&p with lab courses that qualify as credit

Caspa allows you to categorize your experience as healthcare experience (cna, ma) and direct pt care(emt paramedic rn ) 

You have many shadowing experience hrs and healthcare exp hours that set you a part 

Pa schools love applicants that have a lot of success in their careers and you'd be able to teach your classmates about nutrition 

Oh, wow! So true! I figure I have another 30+ years of working, so I might as well be doing something in which I love. 

Thank you for the encouragement and information! I am passionate about nutrition, and would LOVE to be able to incorporate my skills into the medical field and teach fellow colleagues and classmates. I would love to practice in oncology, endocrinology, ICU's, bariatrics, cardiology, etc; a field in which proper nutrition is vital! But really though, aren't ALL (or at least most) body processes impacted at least in part by nutritional status?! (Sorry, shameless plug trying to promote us dietitians! 😂).

Edited by AKay89
  • Like 1

Hey Ali! I was a NICU dietitian for 6 years before going back to PA school. I started school at 31) and recently graduated and passed the boards!! I know a dozen or so other RDs who also are in now or have graduated from PA school. You can definitely do this!

RD experience totally counts as patient care hours. Several schools told me during interviews "we love dietitians" and some thought I made meal plans, lol. Make sure you are really specific in your descriptions on caspa, especially if you do nfpe for malnutrition.

As for pre-reqs, some schools don't have a time limit at all, some it's only "preferred". Do research on the schools you are thinking about. At minimum, consider refreshing A&P. You could also boost your GPA with classes like genetics or other higher level sciences. Since you are probs working full time now, use your employee tuition reimbursement and take the classes online. University of New England has great options, but also check your local university as a lot of big schools offer online sections of popular classes too. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me anytime! I'm always willing to help a fellow RD 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You are NOT too old! I am also a Registered Dietitian and have been working in the ICU for 5 years now. I will be starting PA school next month and I am beyond excited. Having a nutritional background and exposure to the critical care setting will definitely be helpful. During the PA school interviews it was clear that the faculty appreciated and respected the work RD's do particularly when it comes down to nutrition support. Good luck with everything although I have a feeling you will be just fine. 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...