Hey guys, thanks in advance for your input. 

I am renegotiating my contract at a FP location in WV. I have been here 3 years. Was hired in 2016 with a 3 year contract. I was hired as a new grad and started at a base salary of $80,000 with $1000 pay raise yearly for 3 years. I have a bonus structure of 25% bonus of receipts over 28,000 monthly.

Benefits: 401K match, paid health insurance, disability, malpractice, $1500 CME, 25 days PTO as well as major holidays off. I do take call via phone 1 out of every 6 weeks but it is built into my salary. 

New contract offer is for 5% raise yearly for the next 3 years: so starting in June my salary would be $86,100, then 90,405, then 3rd year 94,925. Would keep same benefits and bonus structure. 

I know the salary is a little low for the average but since my office pays my husband and I's health insurance (around $12,000/yr) I feel like I can't press much more. 

Just wanted to see what others thought before we have an actual sit down meeting about it. 

Regardless of insurance your salary is pretty low, especially accounting for 1:6 call, even recognizing a possibly lower COL than average(?). Not working FP I have no clue how much you end up collecting via your bonus structure.

A guaranteed 5% a year is pretty nice, just unfortunate that you're starting so low. Now, if this is offbalanced by a pretty significant quarterly bonus then I may be way off track.

Insurance for you should be standard. 

• Like 1

MediMike, thanks for the input. I am unsure how to approach asking for more, as my OM is fighting for the 5% already as the Docs want to only do 4% currently. When I started I was hitting pretty good bonuses (around 1,000-1,200 a month) but then we added a new Dr last spring and his schedule has taken priority for the past year to build his practice, so the other PA and I have not hit our bonus in a year,  and as well our receipts are down over the past year . Per the OM, they are done building his schedule and she anticipates we will start getting bonuses again but I am not holding my breath because our schedules are slow as an office through the summer months. 

I really like my office, the lifestyle is great, and I dearly love all of my colleagues which I know is a real lucky gig so leaving really isn't something I want to do. If I have to leave, we have an easy 30 day notification clause in our contracts so it's not hard. 

It's a tough spot to be in. If you are happy and feel appreciated, love your colleagues and have a good working environment well...there always has to be a trade off right?

I think the only tactic you could use would be the lose of $12k in bonus income over the prior year. I'm assuming your low annual salary was taking into account the anticipated bonus $$$ to balance it out. 

Asking for a straight bump to $90-$92k would be a good start with the annual raises. As I said, without knowing your COL it's hard, but a colleague of mine is making $140k working FP for Kaiser right now 3 years out of school in a low COL region of the PNW. Definitely an outlier but so is <$90k/yr 3yrs out. They are making money off of you for sure.