Inpatient work schedule?

TLDR: any inpatient med jobs that aren't 7 on 7 off?

Long story short, been a PA for 6 years worked various outpatient jobs, family med, snot clinic, women's health etc.....bored out of my mind.  Job I have now has great work life balance, 4 days a week, no weekends, no call, pay is great, good PTO.  But, very little job satisfaction, and health benefits are poor.  I realize that I get to focus more energy on life outside of work which translates to family, friends church, etc .  Still can't shake the feeling that I'm wasting my training/ aptitude, which may be more of a work to live not live to work kind of thing, yet here I am.

Did all my training at an academic hospital and I had an affinity for inpatient med in school, did a hospitalist elective rotation too.  Also liked gen surg ( the non OR part).  Since being out of school everything has seemed like immense levels of nonsense.  I'd argue that 90% of outpatient acute visits don't need to happen, with a mix of arguing with patients that they don't need abx for booger nose followed by the  verbal lambasting that's all too common either from angry gimmie gimmie patients or management.  Thinking about going for a hospitalist residency if I can get it, cant seem to find any inpatient jobs around here ( So Cal) .  This area is beyond NP friendly, as in prefer to hire NP's over PAs for admin reasons but that's another story.

Are all inpatient med jobs 7 on 7 off? Wife absolutely won't let me work that schedule.  I'm in So Cal, willing to move. Any info is helpful.  I'm starting to consider leaving medicine permanently.

Edited by AlteredBeast

TL;DR Yes.

There's a huge variety in inpatient schedules. While large portion of your standard 12s are 7/7 others have you working 11 shifts/mo (old academic place I worked CCU in), nocturnist positions will normally be 10 nights/mo, some places do 4 10s, often swing shifts...

And the places that do 7/7 will oftentimes have Vaca time built into each quarter, one group near me has a 3wk break built in every 12wks so while you're starting off working 26wks of the year that gets knocked down to 22... personally I'd recommend nights if you can manage it. Don't listen to all those studies about early death, stroke and cancer. Most were based on factory workers, truckers and nurses. Not stunning PAs such as ourselves..

45 minutes ago, AlteredBeast said:

TLDR: any inpatient med jobs that aren't 7 on 7 off?

Long story short, been a PA for 6 years worked various outpatient jobs, family med, snot clinic, women's health etc.....bored out of my mind.  Job I have now has great work life balance, 4 days a week, no weekends, no call, pay is great, good PTO.  But, very little job satisfaction, and health benefits are poor.  I realize that I get to focus more energy on life outside of work which translates to family, friends church, etc .  Still can't shake the feeling that I'm wasting my training/ aptitude, which may be more of a work to live not live to work kind of thing, yet here I am.

Did all my training at an academic hospital and I had an affinity for inpatient med in school, did a hospitalist elective rotation too.  Also liked gen surg ( the non OR part).  Since being out of school everything has seemed like immense levels of nonsense.  I'd argue that 90% of outpatient acute visits don't need to happen, with a mix of arguing with patients that they don't need abx for booger nose followed by the  verbal lambasting that's all too common either from angry gimmie gimmie patients or management.  Thinking about going for a hospitalist residency if I can get it, cant seem to find any inpatient jobs around here ( So Cal) .  This area is beyond NP friendly, as in prefer to hire NP's over PAs for admin reasons but that's another story.

Are all inpatient med jobs 7 on 7 off? Wife absolutely won't let me work that schedule.  I'm in So Cal, willing to move. Any info is helpful.  I'm starting to consider leaving medicine permanently.

I hear great things about carolinas healthcare hospitalist residency!

I work inpatient for our Neurology service, four 10-hr days (7-5) and one weekend a month (half day on Sat and Sun, with an extra day off the following week).  I love it!  My hospitalist PA colleague works 5 days a week, 8 hrs (7-3), no wknds.  I think there are many schedule options out there.  I'm in Illinois.  

Edited by ap1249

40 minutes ago, AlteredBeast said:

Thanks for the replies. 3 twelves sounds do able. I've been looking into the Carolinas fellowship. Have to do some hard thinking, thanks again.

Mayo ask has one in AZ, sounds like you can tweak it towards CC or Heme/Onc or stay generalized. I looked into it years ago...